27 June 2005

bloomin' rose

I ventured out into my garden today, mid-winter, and found a rose, blooming. In June! It's a David Austin: The Squire. The picture doesn't do justice to its velvety deep deep red. It's my one and only red rose.

squire

Today was the first day of the school holidays. By 11am we had had one temper tantrum, two sulks, three fortifying cups of tea, and four great big hugs. Son No. 3, aged six, learnt to knit and ever the optimist, has decided that his 2 inches of handiwork will be a jumper.

On a creative note, I have been madly knitting flowers. Two from a knitty.com pattern and three so far from the rose trellis bag pattern (thanks Jane). Tomrrow they will be subjected to a hot soapy washing cycle and we'll see what happens. I have also Made a Start on the long-delayed curtains for No. 1 Son's bedroom ... (thanks to my best friend ringing me up and saying bring them over and I'll help you cut and measure. [Thank you!]). The material, lining, hooks and assorted paraphenalia have sat on my sewing room floor for two years. Really, I could procrastinate for Australia if it were an accredited sport.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Fabulous rose. We buy David Austin roses, too, and you really can't go wrong with them.

On the subject of cutting up old linens: I have two piles; the 'keep intact' pile and the 'use' pile. Otherwise they don't see the light of day and I'd rather use them for something than keep them in a hold-all in a cupboard. At least this way I get to see them (or parts of them).

joy madison said...

gorgeous gorgeous rose!

blackbird said...

heh heh -- forgot that june means cold over there...
that flower looks like velvet.

Sharon said...

LOL sus3... I have procastination down to an art form... Perhaps we could start our own society... Hmmm... but when - not today, I am errr...busy. That's it Busy with a capital B... Now what was I doing? That's right putting off doing ummm... Perhaps I am just vague...

I love your rose... I bet it has a beautiful perfume...

Marina said...

Hi, Susan! I live in Brazil and I love very much your blog! It's so nice to read and there are a lot beautiful photos and ideas! Congratulations! Could you send to me the trellis rose pattern I would like to knit some flowers to make a necklace.
Thank you.
Marina
marinamorena@yahoo.com