14 June 2005

Tuesday musings ... and a soup recipe

I think I'm getting the hang of this. Here's the photo of Son No. 3 and my leg I promised yesterday. Poor babe, he came home from school today all tired, coughing and croaky ... time for a home day tomorrow. Luckily I don't have to work so we can have a day together in the warmth, out of the winter winds. And I need to start studying for my exam ...



And now I'll see if I can fix up those links at the side so they work. In the meantime, here's my favourite pea soup recipe, in honour of my new blog and its name. (Pea has been kind of a nickname for me. The mister calls me Pea, and many many moons ago when I was 17 and spent a year in the USA as an exchange student, my "host mother" called me Sweetpea the whole year long).

Curried Green Pea Soup (quick, cheap, nourishing and 3 small boys eat it happily)

500g green split peas (cooked in 3 times the water for 35 mins)
60g butter/margarine
4 chicken stock cubes
2 tsp curry powder
2 tbsp chopped mint
2 cups water
1/2 cup cream

Melt butter in a large pot and stir in curry powder and mint. Cook for 2 mins and add crumbled stock cubes. Add the cooked peas (blended if you can be bothered, or just mashed a little if you're lazy like me). Add the water until desired consistency is reached, season with salt & pepper, and serve with a dollop of cream. I usually make a batch of savoury muffins (pumpkin, zucchini, or cheese & chive) to go with the soup. Good for wintry nights.

3 comments:

maria said...

welcome!!! great pic.
mav

shash said...

very cute! welcome to blogging!

Jeanne said...

Delicious soup -- I especially like the touch of curry. Thanks!

http://mathomhouse.typepad.com/mommy_cooks/