29 August 2005

Harry's Picture

Leesa'sPatch1

Son No. 3's class at school are preparing the teacher's end of year/Christmas gift. Already! We are a highly organised bunch of mothers, clearly.

The craft teacher, whose twins are in that class, held a dyeing session with the children, telling them (and the teacher) that they were going to make a rainbow. Then each parent was given one square of the dyed fabric to decorate. Our square was greeny-blue, as above. The instructions were to decorate it with something meaningful pertaining to the year or your child or both. The only restrictions were it had to be secret from the teacher and the children (as six year olds are rotten at keeping secrets from their teacher), and it had to include the child's name somewhere on the square. Then all the squares are to be sewn together into a quilt that the teacher will, presumably, treasure for ever. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

I hummed and hawed, the patriarch looked blank as he does when craft problems are presented, and then I had the rather brilliant idea of getting the child himself to do a drawing. He did the bog-standard child's drawing of house and sun. But he did it beautifully! I duly traced them onto the fabric, added the smoke and butterfly, and embroidered them. I added the odd bead to make it sparkle a bit. I was up until midnight but I handed it in on the morning of the deadline.

I am particularly pleased with the smoke.

Geees, I want a new camera. This is crap.

7 comments:

blackbird said...

I love the sun!

Amy said...

What a great gift idea, and a pretty design. Love it!

Maggie Ann said...

Good for you! I am impressed that your son did this himself and you came up with the genius idea of embroidering it. you can go to the head of the class = ) with this one. The bits of sparkle are lovely.

SueeeuS said...

Such an artiste (both of you)! :)

Shell said...

Oh, it's beautiful. I'm sure the teacher will be most impressed!

Nichola said...

What a great idea and a lovely drawing!

ladylinoleum said...

Truly lovely!