23 September 2005

Friday Show and Tell

I have had the honour of choosing today's Show and Tell bestowed upon me. So, I needed to make it good.

I chose 'show your favourite piece of artwork', with the proviso that it be from your own home, not a gallery or museum.

So with no further ado, and in an attempt to lift my game after the bum and poo references of late ... I present my ... thing.

I don't even know what to call it.

But I can describe her. She's a shop dummy, decorated by an unknown artist; painted black and decoupaged with papers from old medical textbooks.

Her front ...
artdummyfront

Her front close up ...
artdummyfrontclose

Her back ...
artdummyback

... and another close up ...
artdummybackclose

... and finally her brain, which owing to the fact that she doesn't have a head, is situated on her right shoulder.
artdummybrain

Bit weird, isn't she? But I love her. She came from a secondhand shop and thus we know nothing of the artist, and have never been able to find any signature anywhere on her busy little body.

My husband gave her to me as a present for my 30th birthday. I didn't quite know what to say. It was a pertinent gift, as three weeks earlier I had given birth to our first child, and body parts and their functions were a big part of our lives. I was completely and utterly in awe of my body and its ability to create, nurture, push out, and then feed a baby.

As with most objects in one's home, I don't even notice her half the time. And then she stops a visitor in their tracks and I appreciate her all over again. I love the reactions she provokes; people either love her: wow, that's INCREDIBLE! ... or she freaks them out Oh. That's, um, interesting. Very Unusual.

10 comments:

shellyC said...

Well I most certainly LOVE her!!! That is just so amazingly wonderful!!!

Rachael said...

I'm of the "wow, thats INCREDIBLE" camp. What a fantastic piece of art.

Alice said...

I think she is wonderful, too. Such a clever idea and appears to be so well done, too.

SueeeuS said...

Exquisite! Love it!

blackbird said...

She is incredible.
I am fascinated and staring at her --
bravo.

BabelBabe said...

I totally dig her and am plotting how to acquire my own dummy to do something with now...

and i love that her brain is on her shoulder. somehow I relate...

kath red said...

wow incredible - amazing gorgeoous - very eyecatching. and what a wonderful sensitive husband to know exactly the right thing to get you and to go to such lengths to find it.

Gina E. said...

Suse, that is a sensational piece of art! What a shame you can't find out more about it.

jak said...

She is great- I will be back for closer look-you just can't take her all in-in just one look- I need to see her detail- How old is she? Just amazing!

ladylinoleum said...

Suse, love it, love it, love it!