9 October 2005

spike, worms, mulch and sewing

Today I saw a little worm
wriggling on his belly.
Perhaps he'd like to come inside
and see what's on the telly.

- Spike Milligan
'Silly Verse for Kids'


I have been gardening today. Blood & Boned the whole front garden and then covered it with a layer of mulch. It rained all last night so it was perfect timing. Plus, I finally finished planting all the seedlings. Tomorrow I tackle the back garden. I feel good, smug even. But my back aches.

To celebrate the new look garden, tonight I made the first of two new covers for our last remaining directors chairs. Pale blue fabric with trees, flowers and hot pink butterflies. The butterflies should complement the hot pink wooden outdoor table, and the hot pink roof of our little blue shed.

It's midnight now so I'll photograph tomorrow.

Did you know that despite his quintessential English daffiness, Spike Milligan was Australian? From the town of Woy Woy. Which seems fitting, somehow.

Edited: No he wasn't. His parents and brother lived there and he just visited a lot. Apparently.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Well done on the gardening. We've been doing the same today but for the other end of the growing season. Lots of bulb-planting and clearing up - and now we deserve a glass of wine.

My children's favourite Spike poem is the one about the River Thames, 'one of England's watery gems'. Mostly because it ends with the word sh*t. They all memorised it and I did worry (momentarily) that it may be repeated in English lessons. But what the heck, at least they were moved to learn a poem.

blackbird said...

blood and boned?
you sound like a pirate my dear.

Alice said...

Love the new chair covers. You should feel justifiably proud of your gardening efforts; I'm sure you'll see the reward in a few weeks.

Love Spike Milligan stories/poems. Actually there is to be a TV program about Spike on ABC 9.30 Monday night. A record my kids used to love was "Bad Jelly, the Witch" (Spike's version of Hansel & Gretel), another favourite was "The Bald Twit Lion", a story which I could scarcely read for laughing.

SueeeuS said...

Blood & Boned? A brand name of some garden treatment?

You're so good to your garden. I just close my blinds so I can't see mine. It's in sad disarray.

Spike said...

Did you know that despite his quintessential English daffiness, Spike Milligan was Australian? From the town of Woy Woy.

Nup. His parents migrated here around WWII and he visited them heaps.