7 October 2005

You knitted a what?

washer

If I knew how to do categories in my blog, this would be filed under Odd Knitting Projects.

It's a facewasher/washcloth/flannel/whatever you call it in your neck of the woods. I saw them recently in that beautiful handmade shop I rabbited on about in a previous post and thought, well I can do that! It's knitted in Rowan cotton denim, which the label assures me will shrink and fade like real denim. I've just cranked out two of these and my fingers are blue from the dye. Rather ghoulish.

One of these washcloths is about to wing its way to Tasmania, along with a couple of balls of beautiful handmade (not by me) olive oil and poppyseed soap, to some friends who have just gone and bought a hippie house in the wilds of Tassie. An odd kind of housewarming gift you may think, and you may be right.

Note to self: do red or cream next time for easier photography.

9 comments:

dani said...

such a simple idea but a really beautiful result. handmade for such a personal item is a gorgeous idea.

Jan said...

I think it's a lovely housewarming gift. Who wouldn't appreciate the luxury of a handknit washcloth and beautiful soap after a move to *the wilds*?

blackbird said...

I think it is the PERFECT housewarming gift.

I am going to start calling them flannels. (the washcloths I mean)

jess said...

I love the color, but won't it also come off on faces...? Odd housewarming gifts are always the best, though.

Suburban Turmoil said...

It is beautiful. But if your hands are blue from the dye, I shudder to imagine what could happen to your friends' faces! ;)

Miss Eagle said...

This took me back to my long-ago childhood when I knitted a face-washer in plain stitch in a white cotton. I remember it stretched! Will yours do that? The picture shows a black item (although you say your fingers were blue). I thought it could team well with the black toilet paper about which I've posted over at http://tradpad.blogsome.com
BTW, on my Blogger blog (http://eaglesplace.blogspot.com) I long for categories too. I wrote to Blogger and they said that Blogger did not support categories - but they would remember my request for the future when they might be looking for additional things to add to Blogger. Darn! Why don't they realise how much we need categories - and other blogging tools have them.

shellyC said...

What a great idea!!! Now I know what to do with a lot of chunky pale blue cotton that is still in the back of the cupboard as an unfinished, unworn, totally unflattering sleevless top!!!
Thanks

robin said...

my daughter has a baby blanket like this. i think it is very sweet.

ladylinoleum said...

What a wonderful gift!