• It feels so good to get two inches chopped off my hair
• Packing sucks
• So does moving house
• Why are they bothering to make Mentos in grape flavour? They don’t taste remotely like any grape I have ever ingested. Stick to the spearmint and peppermint, Mentos people.
• The queues at the post office are getting very long
• I am enjoying Creature Comforts. I think Nick Park must be the most brilliant man currently on the planet (after Paul Kelly and Elvis Costello, that is)
• My new keyboard inserts the letter ‘l’ at the end of every sentencel. Annoyingl.
• My children have invented an imaginary friend called Jake. He can be relied upon to take the blame for all sorts of things. Late at night when they should all be asleep, I can hear whispers and giggles as they recount Jake’s latest exploits to each other.
• Children come home from school camp dirty, bruised and exhausted, but very very happy. Despite bursting into tears when the bus departs, leaving a mother with the final image of a teacher consoling a weeping child, burnt into her retina for three long days.
• Extract from Son #1’s latest assignment, which was to create three scenes from a play about an ancient Greek myth. (He chose Jason and the Argonauts):
Jason: Pelias, now that you are old, I think I should take your place as king, seeing I am rightful king after you murdered my father.
Pelias: (thinks for a moment). You are right. Okay.
Jason: Hey Orpheus, would you and your lyre like to be argonauts?
Orpheus: Yeah, okay.
(They walk around the village square and at the end they have a whole crew).