11 December 2005

Third Sunday of Advent

adventcandles#2

Tonight on the third Sunday of Advent we give thanks for the animal kingdom.

We will light three candles, the children will each choose a toy animal from their collection (preferably associated with Christmas, although last year a giraffe was spotted lurking at the rear of the stable) to add to the scene and we will say the verse:

The third light of advent
It is the light of beasts
The light of hope that we may see
In greatest and in least


Advent table in the first week …
adventweek1

and what it looks like this morning.
adventweek2

During this coming week the Advent Fairy will visit once or twice and bring another cow or chook. Later in the week two sheep will appear, just ahead of the shepherd who arrives the following week.

Verses for the first and second weeks of Advent here and here.

11 comments:

blackbird said...

I like that the Advent Fairy's schedule is somewhat relaxed...that she will come once or twice and will bring this or that...

BabelBabe said...

I need the Advent Fairy to come to my house.

SueeeuS said...

Such a sweet tradition...

Anonymous said...

out of curiosity, did you make the verses up? i've just never heard of anything like this before.

D.

Suse said...

Hi D

no I didn't make them up. I was searching for something to go along with advent, as I wanted to bring the advent thing into our family Christmas celebrations, and found the verses and the whole thing about the four kingdoms at a site called quolkids.com (Quality Of Life for Kids), which doesn't seem to exist any longer.

Our celebration is also steiner/waldorf inspired.

irene said...

again, is it bad that the only Christmas decoration AND tradition we have in the house is the tree?

Bec of the Ladies Lounge said...

Thanks to your inspiration I finally found a nearly acceptable, NON chocolate Advent calendar and my kids are loving the daily ritual of taking turns opening the windows (thank goodness three divides neatly into 24... but then so does two, and four, and six - Yikes!)
Meanwhile, I am loving reading about what really organised mums manage to do with Advent, this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us.


Wow - or should I say Yadza? I just got a real word from word verification - Phknows... Sound it out, it makes so much sense in my life!

Elizabeth said...

I am enjoying your advent tradition and have been sharing it with my own kids (who are a little older) and showing them your blog as you go along.

Cee said...

What a nice tradition. Thanks for sharing.

la vie en rose said...

i have never celebrated the advent but it's so interesting to see the celebration of others.

kristin said...

here by way of blackbird, and i have to say, i love your advent table.