11 January 2006

Corners of my House

Amanda’s recent post "Corners of My Home" really spoke to me somehow, perhaps because this house is still so new to us and I am still learning the secrets of its corners.

I thought I would share one of my favourite nooks of this house.

corner - hooks&bottle

This house is mudbrick, a medium beloved of alternative house-builders and hippies everywhere. The people we bought the house from built it twenty years ago and because they were building it for themselves, they incorporated all sorts of little touches. Quirky little touches such as dried flowers, a pretty tile, a not so pretty tile, some coat hooks, and a wine bottle, all embedded into the mud.

(Yes, a wine bottle. Embedded into the mud, by the front door. It functions as some kind of weird light source in the afternoon sunlight.)

PS. Most of the corners in this house have cobwebs. With brick floors, mudbrick walls and exposed beams, this place is a dust and cobweb nightmare.

7 comments:

SueeeuS said...

My dream home is an alternative or 'green' home, as self sufficient and energy efficient as possible. I've seen some embedded wine bottles in walls that are stunning, but the collection of colors must have been a feat in itself. Welcome to your new home, and sorry about the dust and cobwebs. Hachooo!

--erica said...

oh my gosh..you must show more pictures! This place seems full of character!

Miss Eagle said...

How comforting to hear of someone else with cobweb problems. Until 18 months ago, I had a home north of Townsville in the shadow of the world heritage listed rainforest. It was made of western red cedar and had very high cathedral ceilings and lots of rafters. I could get the cobwebs down on Saturday and they'd be there large as life on Thursday. I think the bush surroundings were part of the problem. More wildlife including spiders. But I am green with envy re the mudbrick.

la vie en rose said...

how cool! this house has personality!

Sharon said...

P - sort of like the house my friends bought to renovate... It had been previously owned by a man who was an ardent DIY... They found some amazing things as they proceeded... But I think what tickled our fancy most was the plate, knife and fork complete with dinner scraps they found behind one of the walls they pulled down...We could never work out why - was this person tired of doing the dishes one night amid the latest DIY project and just popped the plate behind the the wall he was mounting??? Or did he think the house was going to be part of some archalogical dig in years to come and wanted to leave some proof of life??? We did all have a giggle trying to imagine why...

jess said...

I love the quirks and corners of houses.

dani said...

if this corner is representative of the house, then it is very cool! yes more pictures please!