17 January 2006

just breathe ...

gumtree2

Lying on my back, gazing up at the sky.
Trying to breathe, and just be.

Like dogs and children.

pyjamas & bikes

Oblivious to the chest-tightening stress of discoveries such as:
• termites;
• multiple trees which, barely clinging to the edge of the cliff, threaten to fall on the house and so must be dealt with;
• settlement on the city house being delayed by two weeks due to financial crap that I can’t even think about without hyperventilating;
• other boring but necessary and costly adventures including the removal of an old rusted out water tank, site levelling and the construction of a shed and fenced area to contain the dog when school and work resumes.

I guess I’ll be living with the temperamental oven, ancient dishwasher and bright blue bathroom laminex a while longer.

In the meantime, we are discovering the joys of semi-rural living.
Septic tanks, solar hot water, blackberry crumble, dust, sunsets, sunrises, and the exhilaration of looking out of the windows and being able to see for miles rather than a couple of metres.


To answer a couple of peoples’ questions, a) we bought this house two years ago and have had tenants in it as we weren’t able to leave the city house at the time, b) we have always wanted to live here, it’s been our dream, c) we are about 45 minutes from the old house and the city centre, and d) yes the children have to change schools.




Now for your enjoyment, here are some blurry pictures of the echidna, courtesy Son #1 who nabbed the camera. I should have nabbed it back. My hand is a trifle steadier, as I don’t shriek Oh my god it’s sniffing my foot! while pressing the shutter button.

blurry echidna sniff

echidna eats shoots &leaves

echidna sleep now

19 comments:

blackbird said...

Youngest is very pleased with the echidna...
meanwhile, I am resting under that lovely tree.

Windy City Wendy said...

Your pictures made me a bit melancholy over our old house. This one is better for us in so many ways and is only a mile from the old one, but the old one backed up to a protected forest preserve area. This one backs to another neighbor's fence. No deer, fox, geese, ducks, snapping turtles, etc. in this yard. My son still longs for his old climbing tree.

--erica said...

What a funny little guy. My boys are all ready to move in with you!

jorth said...

All that air and space. Lovely.

telfair said...

I LOVE that echidna!!

My favorite Australian animal.

SueeeuS said...

Your views are stunning. That tree is glorious. Yes, breeeeeeeaaaaaaattttthhhhheeeee. The trials will pass and you will revel in your amazing and wonderful new home. I keep thinking of Under a Tuscan Sun, and though there are obstacles to deal with now, the end result and the journey will be things to treasure. :)

irene said...

my mouth is still wide open. when I saw the picture of your kids riding their bicycles, I just "OH MY GOD. this is perfect. this is so perfect". I'm so happy you live in the house of your dreams. it gives me hope.

shellyC said...

A "pet" echidna....how wonderful.

Keep breathing and enjoying that wonderful air.

Rexclick said...

Hello. I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog. Please go on posting sunny pictures. Breathe deeply, and think that if you happenedto live in rural Switzerland, you would now, in addition to old house quirks, be shoveling tons of snow from your driveway in search of your car..not mentioning these lovely wet dog paws...
season's greetings from the cold, and thank you for making the days sunnier!

herhimnbryn said...

Hallo, this blogging lark is strange ( I am new to it all), but I read your recent piece and just wanted to say to you ( a total stranger to me) keep breathhhhing and taking in the wonderful views. All will be well!

Elizabeth said...

I love the tree photo!
Do you think you could transfer the termites over to the trees that need removing? Nasty business termites. How do you remove them without toxic fumigating? The rest sounds manageable, though. It must be hard to come from a renovated house and start over but I can see there are other lovely compensations.

jess said...

Love the pictures. It sounds like a wonderful adventure of a house - complete with chest-tightening stress and gorgeous scenery. But otherwise it wouldn't be an adventure.

BabelBabe said...

that echidna is one cute animal!

breathe...breathe....after all, it worked during childbirth, right? Ack.

kimbofo said...

Ok. That's it. I am officially homesick now, courtesy of your opening picture of the gum tree and the sun!

la vie en rose said...

blessings to you...you certainly have a full plate. wishing you many moments to lay in the grass, let the sun warm you face, and let the wind carry away some of the stress...at least for a few minutes anyway.

dani said...

your own resident echidna - now that rocks! and god that house looks good! good luck with all the other stuff - they are just small hiccups.

robin said...

i love your pictures! are the children still in steiner school?

i miss our rural living days, but ach! only in the summertime. new england is tough winter rural living!

christina said...

Are they still going to a Waldorf school?

Hang tight and breathe, things will even out. There is always that period of turmoil after a big shift!

Helen said...

there is nothing in the world that compares to looking at the sky through the leaves of a gum tree is there?

Just remember that :)