12 January 2006

Lately there has been ...

• more unpacking;
• reading Mary Renault’s The King Must Die and loving it;
• ten minutes up-close-and-personal time spent with the echidna, who sniffed Son #1’s shoe curiously, trundled about deliciously unfazed by the squeals of delight above him/her/it, then tired of us, dug a hole in the ground right in front of us, and disappeared head first into it, but did I manage to get a decent shot in those ten minutes? Of course not;
• rain, rain, and more forecast to come. The dry ground is lapping it up greedily, and the rhododendrons (why oh why did they plant rhododendrons here for heaven’s sake?) are unfurling and lifting their leaves skyward;
• I found and unpacked the box containing my wool and needles. It also contained some mystery knitting. 30 rows of moss stitch, on about 60 stitches, oat coloured wool, on wooden needles. I have no idea what I was knitting before moving house so rudely interrupted me. Perhaps I should post a picture of this unfinished object and I’ll take suggestions from the audience? Kind of like those interactive films where the audience choose the ending.
• blackberries. They are a noxious weed here, albeit a yummy one. We are indulging before we attack them with big sticks and a hefty dose of Round-Up;
• many Crimson Rosellas, Swift Parrots (which are endangered) and cockatoos visiting. The antics of the cockies are hilarious but we don't want to encourage them lest they eat our house (yes, really, sulphur-crested cockatoos will eat your windowsills and doors if they feel like it. The parrots are welcome to visit, however);
• the film Chocolat on DVD … one of my favourites. I was wondering why the character Caroline seemed so familiar, and then it clicked. The girl from the Matrix films. In rather a different outfit;
• gradually getting the house straight(er);
• now onto the garden. I have grand plans for indigenous grasses, miscanthus, grevilleas, a dash of grey Plectranthus argentatus, an echium or two and some fruit trees;
• little gifts arriving from friends ... a punnet of tomato seedlings to plant, a jar of homemade apricot jam;
• walks with the dog at dusk, taking in the pobblebonk of frogs and the swoosh of evening birds swooping overhead;
• I also found the box containing my quilt fabrics. Maybe this will be the year I actually make the quilt?
• maybe this will be the year I make resolutions?
• 2006 resolutions: make a quilt, go to bed earlier, practise patience more frequently and hopefully more successfully, spend more time on productive pursuits such as quilting/knitting/sewing/writing, take better photographs, complete mystery knitting project with the help of my infinitely-more-clever-than-me internet friends.

13 comments:

sooz said...

Wow - I've been offair for long enough for your move to take me by surprise. Was it a sudden decision? Would love to know what led to this flight to the bush... Am always fascinated by others stories of big life changes, especially of the moving kind! Coming home after my own adventure elsewhere I am now re-experiencing that discovery phase through you - and loving it :-)

BabelBabe said...

pobblebonk is a great word...and i dig Mary Renault too - i kept all of my mom's books and she owned the entire renault collection. i read the king must die last year and enjoyed it.

Windy City Wendy said...

Just curious - how far are you from your old home in the city?

robin said...

i have a thought, though it may not work without seeing it, but how about a muff! like one of those round little things with icord, or some other kind of cord to carry the little pocket around your neck. seems like it may be a nice b-day gift for someone. you could embroider it.

i don't know why this has occured to me. moss stitch can hold up to being a pocket, that's for sure. do people carry pockets any more?

nevermind. i'm silly!

Kat said...

Pobblebonk? My day just got better.

--erica said...

this place sounds so fascinating...

SueeeuS said...

Pobblebonk! Such a delightful word!

suzy said...

Good luck discouraging the cockatoos! When I was back in NSW over new year I became caught up in the continuing saga of trying to keep them away from my parents place on the coast where they have been demolishing the door frames. All manner of whirly things were set up to scare them, which the cockies ignored with distain... the only thing that's worked so far is a hawk sillouette that my dad bought online.

la vie en rose said...

i love chocolat!!!! it is my favorite movie and when i was pregnant i had decided if i had a girl i was going to name her vianne.

Alice said...

I love the plants you are intending to use in your garden. Grevillea 'Johnsonii' is one of my favourites. It has fine needle-like leaves and dark red stems, beautiful flowers followed by attractive round seed pods. I have included a photo in my posting of October 21.

christina said...

It's lovely to read these posts--ripe with the moments of unpacking. I'd love more pictures, being such a visual waldorfian!

telfair said...

Just wanted to say how much I'm loving reading all about your new house, and seeing pictures of your gorgeous rooms, and land, and riverbank...it is a balm to the eyes and heart of a weary city dweller!

shellyC said...

Suse
I bought the GRAPE flavour Mentos!! They ARE the flavour of American grapes!! I should send you a bunch of our when they are ripe. I am strange I know but I LOVE this flavour!!!