16 February 2006

Corners of my Home, and Show and Tell

Killing two birds with one stone.

kitchen god1

This is the corner by our front door.
In the reflection of the glass you can see the steps leading up the cliff to the road.

This little nook contains three blue pots filled with succulents ... at Christmas, a friend gave each of our children a pot, bag of potting mix, and three little plants. The boys potted them up the week after we moved, and they have been placed in pride of place by the entrance.

The stick trellis was made by Son #1 and I for the hot pink climbing rose (now sadly deceased) that used to climb over our little blue shed. Its blooms matched the shed’s hot pink roof perfectly.
It’s sitting here now until we find it a suitable location and a new climbing plant.

The wooden angel is a Flying Dewi purchased from Oxfam years ago. She used to hang in our old kitchen, so was dubbed the Kitchen God. Now she wards off evil spirits out the front.
(Dewi Sri is the Indonesian rice goddess, and is also a guardian angel.)

And here she is close up.

kitchen god2

Corners of my home group on flickr, and Show and Tell Something Close Up.



Word for the day: polytheism

18 comments:

Lazy cow said...

The blue of those pots is my favourite blue. Just beautiful. It looks as if you are settling into your place and making it your own.

telfair said...

o beautiful, as always. The blue pots & plants are such an inspired gift idea.

I think you & Son #1 could go into business, making those trellises.

telfair said...

That was supposed to be "so beautiful", not "o beautiful", by the way...not sure where that "s" scampered off to... or "campered" off to, depending on whether it is an exodus of "s"s...

Kim said...

Just lovely Suse, and something I needed to see and read to help lift my spirits this highly emotionally charged day.

blackbird said...

so so pretty...
I love your things and places.

BabelBabe said...

i love the kitchen god.

and your house looks so comfy and homey.

Sarah Louise said...

everything Blackb and Babelb just said, plus:

and warm. can we all just move continents for a moment of sun and warmth? Here in Pittsburgh it is rainy, so any snow is all melted and gone.

halloweenlover said...

I like the kitchen god. Perhaps I need someone to ward off spirits for my front door. Hmmm.

Jeanne said...

I love how the reflection in the door makes it look as though you go from outside to outside.

And the Flying Dewi is wonderful --

kristin said...

i must have a goddess such as this. what a great closeup!

jak said...

Beautiful! In the frist photo she looks so real.

Elizabeth said...

Love your entranceway. I have a Pegasus a lot like you're Flying Dewi. I have to say it just looks so darn WARM and SUMMERY in these photos. I may just stare at them awhile with hot tea in hand and ignore the freezing rain outside my window.

gronce said...

I love the trellis! So interesting! Your Flying Dewi is really cool!

telfair said...

by the way Suse...I would love to get your facecloth pattern...but I can't find your email address in order to properly beg for it outside of the public forum.
Mine is telfaird@hotmail.com.
I would be inordinately appreciative...

Marie said...

I love your kitchen god(dess)...and your entry-way looks perfectly inviting. Thanx for sharing. I apologize for not visiting sooner.

String Bean said...

You have such a beautiful home. I love the Flying Dewi.

Eli said...

Hi Suse, just wanted to say I love reading your blog - reminds me of happy summers growing up in Gippsland - sure is a long way from grey London!

BabelBabe said...

Suse - was gonna email you but you have none on your profile, so...I made your kumara and red lentil soup for dinner tonight, served with potato and onion pierogies and peas. Ohmigoodness! It was SO easy and so DELICIOUS! We all loved it! Thank you so much for a great soup recipe!