7 February 2006

not a self portrait, just a recipe today

I attempted my first self portrait Tuesday piece in quite a while this morning.
This month’s theme is All of Me: embrace your mistakes, enjoy the ugly bits.
So I took a photo of my greying hair. You know, being brave ‘n all.
Cropped, enhanced, cropped again.
The computer crashed.

I am taking this as a sign.

So you get a recipe instead.



Kumara and lentil soup

2 tsps oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium (300g) kumara (sweet potato), chopped
1 cup red lentils
3 cups chicken/vegetable stock

Cook onion in oil over medium heat until soft. Add everything else and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20-30 mins until kumara is soft. Blend or just mash to desired texture, and serve with plain yoghurt or a dollop of cream.

Serves 4.

I usually double this recipe and freeze half for a later date.

Another version of this is to add curry powder to the oil and onion, and a few more veggies, such as broccoli or celery, for a chunky change.

Word for the day: vicissitudinous

11 comments:

BabelBabe said...

Looks awesome and easy! Guess what we are having for dinner tonight? With some crusty bread and a green salad. Thanks!

And mutability to you, too!

Lazy cow said...

Right, I'm getting lentils tomorrow.

Thanks for that.

Bec of the Ladies Lounge said...

try adding a decent helping of ground cumin and ground coriander as well as the curry powder. heaven!
As for the grey hair, I agree it was a sign. The sign probably had flashing neon lights spelling out "Colour me now, hag", yes?

SueeeuS said...

Prone to change? Prone to crises?

I'll see your gray hair and raise you one. Did that make sense? (I'm not much of a poker player.)

:)

Kim said...

soup. in summer.

capello said...

Soup sounds yummy. Thanks!

(and computer crashes? are always a sign)

kimbofo said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this recipe. Now I know what to do with the sweet potato that came in my organic box last night. Oh, and I've got a jar of red lentils lying around too. This is just too easy. ;)

la vie en rose said...

a recipe is good!

dani said...

thanks for the recipe!!!! can't wait to try it!

shellyC said...

thanks for the recipe...i look forward to the next cool day to cook it!!

Bec of the Ladies Lounge said...

Sorry suse, but I have to do it again:
Hey, Kim, you're right! What's with the Victorian chick trotting out soup (and not even chilled soup) in 40 degree summer heat?