30 March 2006

in a nutshell

Lately there has been a great deal of this …

work

… and not nearly enough of this

play

Hopefully next week I will have an essay under my belt and I can indulge in more knitting, muffin-eating and tea-drinking.



Generic Muffin Recipe

1/2 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
1 cup white self-raising flour
2/3 cup sugar
dash coconut
1 mashed banana (optional)
2/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup oil
handful of flavourings (nuts, seeds, dried fruit)

Sift dry ingredients and toss in your flavourings. Mix together and add wet ingredients. Stir quickly and roughly until just combined (do not overmix) and spoon into a muffin pan. Bake for about 15 minutes in a moderate (180 Celsius) oven.

Makes 12.
I always do double quantity and freeze half for lunchboxes and knitting-related emergencies.

Flavouring ideas:
Choc chips (add a dash of cocoa to the flour)
Orange/lemon and poppyseed (replace some of the milk with juice and add a bit of zest)
Date and walnut (add a dash of coffee to the mix)
Apple and sultana/raisin
Dried apricot and sunflower seeds
Pear and ginger
Raspberry and white chocolate





I leave you with a (knitting) joke.

My mum and I were driving somewhere recently when a discussion about homosexuality came on the radio. The guest said jokingly to the host, in an exaggeratedly camp voice, My mother made me a homosexual.
Quick as a flash my mother said Ooh, if I gave her the wool, would she make me one too?

16 comments:

Jerry & Maxy said...

Your Mum is a hoot!

Good luck with the essay. Is it for school? A scholarly article? Just curious....

I look forward to trying out your muffins this weekend. Cheers.

Surfing Free said...

Yum, pear and ginger sounds like a scrumptious combination.

Lazy cow said...

I've been looking for a good muffin recipe with wholemeal flour. Thanks for that.
Like the knitting joke.

String Bean said...

Yay for your mom!

I'm going to try your muffin recipe this weekend. I have a big bag of wholemeal flour lounging around in the pantry waiting to be used. (To make flour into self-rising flour add 1 teaspoon of baking powder to 1 cup of flour)

I haven't been knitting much either. I think I'm going through FO withdrawal.

jorth said...

Excellent - I'm always on the lookout for new muffin ideas.

telfair said...

Your mother is way too mentally agile for me...I hope I never have to match wits with her. How funny. Thanks for the recipe! I have a free day tomorrow so maybe I'll give it a go.

I will confess to being eager to seeing more of your beautiful knitting projects...they're very inspirational to a newbie knitter such as myself.

Kim said...

I'm with surfing. Bring on the ginger and pear, although you should experiment with dried peaches and macadamias - dried peaches in cookies and muffins are divine.

and teeheehee to your Mum's comment.

BabelBabe said...

Elizabethan England? What are you studying for? (I know you've probably told us, sorry...)I have a total thing for Elizabeth and the Engish Renaissance. Particularly the way the church of the time intertwined with the literature. (I did post-bacc work in EngLit...forgive my dorkiness.)

blackbird said...

oh she's very clever, your mom!

it's so nice to see your cup - like an old friend...

sueeeus said...

Such a witty Mum! I admire you for pursuing your studies. That stuff looks downright daunting. I'm much more of a Lemony Snicket reader, myself. :)

doubleknot said...

Beautifull pictures.
Your mom - ha, ha, hee, hee, yuk, yuk - good for her.

Elizabeth said...

Looks like the sweater is coming along though, just in time for your autumn.

Flourish & Blotts said...

Harde har har. I love to make muffins in advance and freeze them individually too. That way you've got them when you're on the go. I use the recipe from Tightwad Gazette. -Flourish

jess said...

Knitting related emergencies - a muffin sounds like the perfect solution.

jojo* said...

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. The muffins look divine! Your mom sounds hilarious :)

Lazy cow said...

I made the muffins yesterday for the first time - frozen blueberries and lemon zest & juice - and I always replace normal milk with buttermilk. Yum. Should have made a double batch though.