10 April 2006

autumnal fruits and Soup doings

buerre bosc

So much has happened that I haven’t had a chance to blog about.

• Son #1 has decided to join the local strings orchestra. I am more thrilled than I can express. It will be soooo good for him to be around other musical kids, making music together, meeting new friends, and pushing his shy little self just a tad.

• The week before last, Sons #1 and 2 along with their class, got to speak, live, to the two astronauts who live in the International Space Station! Supposedly one can hear the whole thing at this link by clicking on Audio Library on the bottom left, but of course I can’t get it to work. If anyone does, it's the small Victorian school on 31st March, and my kids are the first and third last to ask their questions. Son #1 asked a musical question, surprise surprise, and #2 asked if one’s blood runs normally in space. (Answer: no, it runs up. So after an hour or so the astronauts have to lie down with their feet up). All the children did brilliantly, and we were so proud. They had been preparing for weeks, had learnt all about space, how to handle a radio (say your name, ask your [carefully vetted] question, and say Over) and they were soooo excited. As was the whole school community. There were about a hundred overexcited parents and grandparents crammed into the hall, bright-eyed, nervous, proud and trying to be silent. As Son #1 was first, he got to do all the audio checks with NASA before the ISS came into radio range for its eight short minutes. He repeated his question loudly and clearly about four times, then when it came to the real thing and he found himself actually talking to William Macarthur Junior (the Third, joked Mr Soup) (can you tell he’s American?) he fluffed and stumbled over his words. No matter. It was a wonderful evening. Yes, I got teary. Yes, I forgot my camera.

• On the weekend our new community held its annual festival. Wondrous! All sorts of things … a billy cart race, a duck race on the river, market stalls, live music, dinner at the pub for the Soup Family, and then a mesmerising and haunting visual and musical performance by a woman who grew up on a farm at the end of our road in what is now the national park (home of the kangaroo mob pictured in previous posts). After the show we bought the book of her paintings and she signed it for us. When I looked through it the next morning, I saw that the final painting is spookily similar to my misty morning photograph.

• Son #3 begins his first extra curricular activity tonight (apart from swimming which doesn’t count because it’s essential in this family and all the children do it whether they like it or not). He is doing circus skills. Much excitement all round.

• Son #1 has just been granted an interview at our preferred (Steiner) high school. Now all he has to do is charm them. The letter only arrived this morning and I am nervous and anxious, but cautiously optimistic. How could anyone meet #1 and not want him in their class? Please, my invisible friends, keep your fingers crossed for us.

16 comments:

telfair said...

I will definitely keep all fingers & toes crossed for Son #1!
I'm sure he'll be a shoo-in.

Those pears in your photograph look spectacular. By odd coincidence, I bought my first autumnal batch last week, and they've been ripening on my kitchen counter for the last several days. Today I had one with my lunch and it was superb! Well worth the wait. I was finishing it as I dawdled upstairs and checked your blog -- hence seeing the identical type of fruit to that which I was contentedly gnawing on. O Happy Serendipity.

Jerry & Maxy said...

Fingers are certainly crossed. He'll shine like the star he is, and they'll wonder how they've got on this long without him.

kt said...

Oooh, what a wonderful bunch of happenings! Fingers crossed for Son #1, and I wildly applaud your Pearl Buck Swing Jacket! It's a bit beyond my abilities at the moment, but I'll look forward to slavering over yours as you go.

And circus skill can always come in handy. I, for example, can still juggle and apply greasepaint, despite being turned down many, many years ago by a large heretofore nameless circus entity.

Wonderful blog.

wren said...

What an exciting time for you all. Good Luck, I'll be keeping everything crossed.

Sharon said...

Fingers all crossed S for your # 1 son... I am sure you have nothing to worry about - our children tend to do these 'hard bits'- as we see them -with more style than we give them credit for....

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

count two fingers crossed...
though I am sure he'll get in!

doubleknot said...

Music, astronauts - so much fun. Good luck to your son and school.

blackbird said...

fingers tightly crossed over here...

BabelBabe said...

I want him in my class, and I haven't even met him! Fingers and other appendages - uh, yeah - crossed.

sueeeus said...

Such goodness! Much goodness in the world of Soup! It's SO nice to hear of such happy things. Love the square/oblong plate, btw.

herhimnbryn said...

Oh I enjoy reading yr blog. I am having a break from mine for 2 wks. But as Autumn is here, will be blogging later. The I saw yr post on Autumn................bliss.

Archimedes24 said...

Suse,

Thanks for stopping by and encouraging my blog. I can tell you that telfair and I have REALLY enjoyed reading about you, and following your move "to the bush" and hearing about all of your adventures. I hope to be a little less "vicariously" involved in your blog from now on.

Good luck with the school interview! I'm sure things will go smashingly.

String Bean said...

Invisible fingers: *crossed*. Good luck to all your kiddos.

I love your photographs! They so clear and visually-interesting! I am jealous.

Beth said...

Suse - thank you so much for the info for the Bendigo Woolen Mills. I've ordered a sample card.
I love reading your blog the contrast in seasons from your part of the world to mine just amaze me. Reading about your sweltering summer as I was in the deepest depths of winter in New York state was a lovely warm vacation. Now our dull brown mud season is finally ending and spring begins in earnest as you are experiencing cooling autumn days.
Best wishes to your son, my fingers are crossed. I am a big fan of Waldorf/Steiner schools. My youngest attended a Waldorf pre-school it was wonderful. We try to bring Steiner principles into our lives as much as possible.

--erica said...

more finger crossing here.

Sarah said...

wow how exciting that all is. talking to astronaughts in space! that's crazy cool.