9 April 2006

Pearl Buck Swing Jacket #1

pearl buck #1

I feel as though I’ve joined the modern world.

The talented (she knits!) and erudite (she’s a librarian!) Jeanne (she has a divine blog!) is hosting the Pearl Buck Swing Jacket Knit-Along and I am participating. No matter that I can’t get the I-am-participating button to appear over there on the right near the self portrait tuesday button; no matter that some people in the knit-along have already finished (gulp) their jackets; no matter that I am also in the middle of two other knitted projects at the same time. I am participating!

I dawdled and deliberated over yarns, being unable to find (or afford) the Jaegar Extra Fine Merino DK skeins, and decided in the end to go with the trusty Bendigo Woollen Mills 8 ply pure wool, in Cranberry. It’s gorgeous to knit with, comes in enormous 200g balls (that’s the equivalent of four standard balls) at only $10 each, and best of all, even if one doesn’t get around to mailing off one’s cheque until Tuesday, they still deliver by Friday, enabling one to happily cast on at 7.30 that same evening during Backyard Blitz.

swatch

Doesn’t the colour go well with my rug? Please ignore the dog hair.

I swatched carefully. This is a stage I usually skip (all the serious knitters are wincing now and in need of a good lie down) but as I’m now accountable to approximately twelve fellow knit-alongers, I thought I’d better. The swatch confirmed me as a ferociously tight knitter (breathe, Suse, breathe), so I have gone up one needle size. However the 4.5mm needles feel unwieldy and chunky, so I will start with the yoke as it’s the smallest piece, and if it’s too big I can start again and won’t have lost too much work. If so I’ll have to make a concerted effort to calm down and knit more nonchalantly, which hopefully will ease the tightness.

We shall see.

14 comments:

Sharon said...

I envy you S -I can't knit for nuts!!!! Scarves are about my limit... Your colour looks gorgeous... I look forward to seeing the completion...

Kim said...

We'll be very sad if you stay away.
xxxK

blackbird said...

I don't knit very often, but when I have IT IS TIGHT -
that jacket looks gorgeous and perfect for you. I can just see you in it, reflected in your giant windows of course.

doubleknot said...

Good luck with your jacket. My daughter is the knitter in our family - she knits socks on what she calls toothpicks and several at a time. I crochet but mostly afghans and Xmas stuff - one hook and it is easy to take out when I make a mistake.

carol said...

Fabulous colour - and good choice of jacket. I shall look forward to reading of your progress.

Jeanne said...

It DOES look lovely on your rug.

PS, erudite, schmerudite! I actually have a frightfully poor memory, but I know where to look things up!

LK said...

I find that drinnking a glass or two of wine helps me knit less tightly!

capello said...

Who can see dog hairs when they are blinded by the beautiful glass-head pins?!

BabelBabe said...

i LOVE that jacket - clever you, to be able to knit it!

fab color, too. so jewel-like and vibrant.

String Bean said...

Dog hair? What dog hair?

My mom knits really tight, too. What's with you tight knitters? Just relax, people.

MsCellania said...

When I knit continental style, I knit really tight. When I do the throw-over, I knit loosely. And I came here from Blackbird, I think. Hmm, maybe it was Kim? Or babelbabe?

That is a perfect knitting project. Maybe I'll quit just knitting long skinny rectangles (intended for scarves but sometimes end up as lassos and blankets for loveys for litle boys due to irregularity)and try this one.

Can't wait to peruse the rest of your site!

Beth said...

At least you have the yarn! I have the pbsj button on my blog - but I haven't even started to look at yarns yet - pathetic. I'm wondering if I can get the yarn you are using in the States, that Jaeger does add up - I hate being on a budget.

xmasberry said...

just yesterday i was thinking of some yarn i have and wondering if i have enough for the pearl buck jacket. I may actually have to find out now. I am slowly loosening up on my knitting. Mostly because i found it annoying to have to forcibly push my stitches along the needles.

Joke said...

PLEASE tell me the color you chose is not one of those Good Earth tones.

-J.