7 May 2006

the weekend in five senses

Hearing :: the local community orchestra playing Mozart last night. It is the junior strings group attached to this orchestra that Son #1 is joining.

Seeing :: the street ghost! Coming home from aforementioned orchestral concert, we spotted a mysterious figure walking along the side of the road in total darkness. She was swathed in shawls, her face covered, and … get this … carrying a parasol. Neighbours had told me of this enigmatic spectral figure who is only ever seen walking in the moonlight. No one knows which house she lives in, and she does not talk or look at anyone. They reckon she’s a ghost.

Tasting :: toasted marshmallows. I love peeling off the outer crispy-cooked layer and toasting the smooth silky bit underneath, then peeling that off and toasting underneath …

Smelling :: the smell of the bush after rain. Clean, fresh, alive. Oops I sound like a toothpaste ad.

Touching :: the soft cheeks of my babes as I said goodnight to them a few minutes ago. Rosy from the fire and flushed from a busy weekend.

12 comments:

Jane said...

I'm a little late but both Thomas and Alice love the novels of Robert Muchamore - thrillers written for teenagers featuring a spy ring which uses children as agents. Thomas has been reading them as and when they come out, but Alice, who only discovered them last weekend, read all five in a week. I know your son may prefer 'adult' writers now, but these come highly recommended by two readers.

Joke said...

Ooh. I like that raclette-like marshmallow technique! I will steal it shamlessly.

Well, I am saying thanks.

-J.

Jerry & Maxy said...

Dreamy...

dani said...

nice idea! and beautifully said!

jorth said...

You have a neighbourhood ghost? Awesome!

(Well, just as long as she doesn't do any prodding with that ghostly parasol of hers)

--erica said...

a ghost!

My float said...

ooh, a ghost. how wonderful. is there a story there?

toasted marshmallows - just the thing now the days are getting colder. mmm...

shellyC said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend...mind you I would have wished to have had my eyes closed when you passed the ghost!!!

String Bean said...

A street Ghost? Oooh, shivers and intrigue!

My family still doesn't understand my penchant for burning my marshmallows to crunchy bits.

I love that 'After the Rain' smell.

Meant to ask you: whenever you finish your Pearl Buck Swing Jacket could you tell me how it went and any problems you had with it? My sister desparately wants it so I may knit it for her birthday.

herhimnbryn said...

Such a lovely post. Thankyou for sharing. We are in the UK at present..it's raining! It smell gorgeous in the loal luebell wood but......I have to say I'm missing the perfume of damp Eucalypts!

sueeeus said...

A ghost, a community ochestra, and a gang of kangaroos. Oh, and a dreamy view to die for. Mannnnnn, you have EVERYTHING there!

That's exactly how I eat my marshmallows too.

MsCellania said...

Oh geesh! I forgot to leave a reply and simply stole your idea. The epitome of tacky.

Your senses are much more oh-ah! than mine, but I love mine! Thanks for the great idea. I thought about how lucky my 5 senses were all weekend.