19 June 2006

If Blogger did categories ...

... I'd file this under Finding the Art in Everyday Life.

flannels

Sometimes you need a little something to lift you above the everyday mundaneness [mundanity?] of life. When I was dyeing the playcloths recently, I looked frantically around the house for more bits n bobs just begging for a new colour, as is my wont when confronted with big dye pots full of gloriously hued liquids, and decided our white flannels were looking a tad shabby.

Now I get a little thrill every time I open the linen cupboard door.



In other news around here:
• it's the first day of the winter school holidays
• the solar hot water service is being tended to by a man in blue overalls
• the sun is shining
• Son #3 needs a haircut but is not cooperating
• I found the rose catalogue and gift voucher
• I was happily reading blogs earlier and ignoring the children when I heard a noise like a circular saw emanating from the kitchen. On further investigation I found three children, still in their pyjamas, huddled around a contraption they had constructed out of batteries, a Lego motor and a few bits of Blu-Tak, whooping with delight as they touched a wire to the batteries and the contraption sliced a sheet of paper into strips
• I now have six knitting projects on the needles [I need help]
• We are making nori rolls for lunch.





Riveting, isn't it?



Word for the day: prandial

11 comments:

MrsFife said...

Well, maybe they'll build you a yarn winder out of the Lego as explained in this website: http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/10/lego_yarn_winder.html

No harm in asking :)

Lazy cow said...

Yes, there are many of us who do find it riveting. I love the staying-in-pjs-as-long-as-you- want during school holidays feeling.

blackbird said...

Youngest was in his yukata until one o'clock yesterday...
then I took him out for ices.

blackbird said...

Oh!
I LOVE those wash cloths...

Jerry & Maxy said...

It's not just riveting, it's slicing. Such ingeious little soup men you have, Suse.

Jane said...

You could put together your own Dangerous Book for Boys - it would sell, no problem.

laurie said...

what an uplifting post!! sometimes it's just the simple things. and those washcloths would make me smile too, what a great idea!!!!

Martina said...

Beautiful washclothes! I may do sme dying of my own this weekend! You must have very ingenious boys!

littlejennywren said...

That's what holidays are for- pj days. I must admit my children especially the boys had quite a few these holidays.Our school holidays finish today, I don't think anyone wants to go back. That might be the danger of pj days. P.S. I will post about the knitting book later today.

BabelBabe said...

I do love those flannels. Such gorgeous colors. Do they rub off? I would wind up with a purple face if I tried to do that.

Also, I am planning to move to Australia, as I think your boys would be good for MY boys and I wish to have them influence them immediately.

Have I mentioned I am DRUNK? This is what friends do - they comment while drunk. Be glad I don't have your phone number - I am THIS CLOSE to drunk-calling Bbird.

String Bean said...

Aren't children SO creative? Now you have no need to buy a paper shredder. All the families will be jealous when you tell them you have one built of legos.