29 June 2006

The winter school holidays are almost over.

During this time we have:

• been to the Collingwood Children's Farm winter solstice festival, which was pleasant enough but didn't quite live up to the memory of that wild and pagan celebration of five years ago. The vegie burgers were fab though. So were the eel lanterns;
• seen Cars and Over the Hedge which both had their moments but really? I am tired of the moralising and patronising tone of children's films these days. It's all 'the olden days were the golden days' and 'small town folk are decent and immoral city folk should learn the meaning of life from them' and 'nature = good, development = bad'. Some of which I agree with but ramming it down the throats of overweight people wearing parachute silk tracksuits and eating oddly hued popcorn is not going to change the world. Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical. Or tired; it is 11.30pm after all;
• Not seen Oliver Twist because it's not on at the local cinemas around here, bah humbug. I miss my inner city cinemas with their vastly superior film selections;
• been to Reverse Art Truck and paid $20 for an enormous garbage bag of craft materials which the children then turned into various ingenious contraptions, weaponry, billycarts etc and then spent three solid days outside playing with/on/etc, leaving me in peace to lose myself in the lyrical The Namesake;
• discovered that when you have an acre and a couple of hundred trees and your children are playing espionage games, you can actually lose them. For quite some time. Particularly when they are being called to come and wash the dishes;
• spent time with friends;
• hung out at home and played scrabble in our pyjamas.

sock

My very first sock.
Modelled on the littlest leg in the house.

16 comments:

Ash said...

I almost choked on my tea reading the bit about overweight people in parachute silk tracksuits with strangely-hued popcorn. What a wonderful description and I agree!

Still, we'll be off to see Cars and Over the Hedge too ;) (I promise we won't wear our parachute silk tracksuits, but I can't guarantee anything about the popcorn).

Martina said...

And I am just heading into our summer break! Luckily my children are old enough that I won't have to go and watch Cars or Over the Hedge. They want to go, I drop them off!! I agree with you on shoving morality down our collective throats. Don't want it, don't need it, thank you!

sueeeus said...

That is a fabulous sock!

telfair said...

That's your FIRST SOCK?

Arghh...

It's nicer, smoother, and more professional than 3/4 of the socks I've seen in PATTERN BOOKS and HOW-TO guides.

I have a long way to go on this knitting journey before I am up to Pea Soup standards, it seems.

Lazy cow said...

It's a shame about the winter solstice festival.
We saw Cars too - WAY too long - sigh, movies these days. Give me The Sound of Music anyday. I don't care what people wear to the movies, I just want them to make their children sit the hell down and not run all over the cinema.
What is the Reverse Art Truck? I've never heard of it

littlejennywren said...

Lovely to hear about a holiday spent at home. Great sock - well done.

Di said...

again it seems like ages since I've read your blog- love the photos of the beach in winter time, and stories of your children's play, and your first sock looks fabulously long! well done. (and thanks for the link to my wrist warmers!)

Surfing Free said...

Can't wait until my kids are old enough to play Scrabble with me - its my all time favourite game and if you can't make your kids play with you what's the point of them!!? ;)

Blagh to kids movies these days. Just tell a story don't deliver a sermon!

victoria said...

That's a beauty of a sock! you should be proud!

Violet & Rose said...

My mum took my eldest daughter to the pictures to see Cars. Phew, got out of that one. We saw a great theatre production of Pinnochio today though. Which Reverse Art Truck did you go to ?

BabelBabe said...

love love LOVE that sock.

Damn, I considered taking the two older boys to Cars. Now.....eh.

Laura/PFG said...

okay. how sad for me is it that you've seen BOTH Cars and Over the Hedge, and by the time we'd made it out to the theaters to catch OtH, it was already out of rotation, but YOU LIVE IN AUSTRALIA!! lol. we only got to see Cars. but it was Pixar, so of course I had to love it :)

and the rest of your day makes me completey envious ;) very homey :)

i wanted to try knitting some knee socks, but the only thing i ever managed to knit was a huge scarf. and i think i did it mostly wrong. and it think the guage was wayyy too big. it was quite chunky, so that's because i used too big of a needle, yes?

Laura/PFG said...

oh, and also? i'm totally wishing i had a place that sold garbage bags full of craft stuff for $20!!

dani said...

that sock is like something from a shop! how can you be thsi good?

herhimnbryn said...

I say again..............
'THAT'S YOUR FIRST SOCK?'

Hell's teeth Woman is there no end to your talents?!

Suse said...

We went to the Ringwood Reverse Art Truck. There's also one in Footscray, and probably elsewhere too.

Um, you all know the secret of the sock? Opal self patterning wool. Magic stuff.