19 September 2006

Things I have learnt in the last week

me and dad

Spending time on a gorgeous Queensland beach with your loved ones before a funeral is good for the soul.

Dear god, I sob unrelentingly at funerals.

Funerals can be beautiful and moving and truly celebratory when done right.

Breast cancer really really sucks. And is unfair.

When extended family all get together it's lovely and uplifting and makes your insides feel all smooshy.

When extended family all get together it's sometimes a wee bit tense.

There is the moment when everyone young and old holds their breath in unison when it seems a certain relative from the older generation (rough diamond with a heart of gold) is about to learn that a certain relative from the younger generation is gay. Followed by the sweet release of many breaths when it becomes apparent that that little fact is safe for another few years.

There is also the meeting of Youngest Nephew's girlfriend du jour. The last one was A Different Colour. This one is A Single Mother. These facts make certain members of the older generation uncomfortable. This results in members of the younger generation running around in circles trying to ensure she feels welcome.

Grieving families don't have enough vases or freezer space.

A one hour stopover at Sydney airport is immeasurably brightened with wine and good company.

21 comments:

shula said...

on ya suse. Nice to see you back blossom (I've been checking about 6 times a day, every day).

blackbird said...

what a time you've had...

I'm glad you are back.

carolyn said...

sounds like you had a great trip even if there was some sorrow involved. funerals are always much sadder than i expect, but the post funeral family get togethers are more joyful than expected as well, so they always wind up balancing out in my mind. ;)

sueeeus said...

Welcome back my friend.

Em said...

Glad you're back. Even in the not best of times, you're delightful to read!

xmasberry said...

Glad you are back. I think Carolyn expressed my feelings about funerals as well. I love seeing everyone, but the reason behind the get-together is one of the sadder parts of life.

Stjernesol said...

Every situation in life, comes with a learning experience. Even if it hurts at the time, you can look back at it later and now what it meant...

Glad to have you back, from a hard, some sadness, but good - trip..

*smiles from Norway*

MsCellania said...

Awwww, weddings are a MUCH better reason to get together...

I'm glad you're back and not too worn out from the trip. Emotionally beat, but it's cleansing to grieve. You're supposed to wail at funerals!

Going back to click on your link of 'company'.

Big (((((((HUGS))))))) to you. WIsh I could give them for real.

MsCellania said...

Of Course, It was Bec!

Emma said...

I am again so sorry for your loss. Families make a fascinating study, don't they? I am glad you are back.

Emma

Bec of the Ladies Lounge said...

So glad you're back safe and sound. I, too, am a chronic funeral sobber - I think that's a good thing, really. I probably could find work as a professional mourner in another time, another place.

In deference to the occasion I hadn't posted anything about the stopover but will now (with appropriate pixellation over your face-y parts!) because, hellooo! GLOATING that we got to have a real life meeting, no matter how brief!

meggie said...

Great to see you back.
Agree entirely about your 'family' moments, & funerals in general.
I always cry, & would also make a great professional mourner.

The Maori of my country really know how to do funerals!

shellyC said...

Good to have you back. Love the photo.

Surfing Free said...

I blub like a baby at funerals! In fact I just watched sweet little Bindi talking at Steve Irwin's memorial and sobbed at my desk.... so brave and sad.

I need to meet some bloggers!!!

Em said...

I'm glad the beach was so soul soothing for you... welcome home.

--erica said...

glad you are home safe..

Sarah Louise said...

Hugs and more hugs.

So glad that Bec was able to meet you, and so glad that you got to go to the beach.

I have found that beaches heal so much--I find that even a beach in a movie can heal me (I live 5 hrs from any ocean).

More hugs.

Jo said...

I too am a bad funeral sobber. Tears bucket down my face. Just ask the three children in my house this morning while watching the Steve Irwin memorial service. Lovely post. You sound like you have a very, very "normal" family.

Jeanne said...

Sorry you had to go away -- glad you're back.

(PS, my emails to you are bouncing.)

h&b said...

Sorry about the circumstances, but arranging the airport meet-up was a great idea !

herhimnbryn said...

Good to see you back. Families! Your post is spot on. And you KNOW crying is part of the process.