27 October 2006

End of the week meme

Stjernesol tagged me, so here is my traditional Friday meme. (Is twice in a row not a tradition? Oh, shut up and humour me).

Actually I must ‘fess up. I did this meme on Wednesday and then attempted to jelly-wrestle Blogger into submission but failed miserably. So any of you in Melbourne who read this and think It wasn’t warm enough to do that today? or those of you who say You weren’t wearing that at lunchtime in the park today! - yes you’re right. It wasn’t, and I didn’t. But I did on Wednesday.

Enough. Herewith …

1. Flip to page 18, paragraph 4 - in the book closest to you right now, what does it say?

Hannibal set forth from his base at New Carthage, today known as Cartagena, some time at the end of May or early June 218 BC. Under his command he had a force of 90,000 foot soldiers and 12,000 cavalry. Livy records that it marched in three divisions, probably in three columns, each following in the footsteps of the other.

(Son #1 is doing a school project and is using my desk and computer. I love that he chose Hannibal as his topic. [Son #2 chose James Herriot]).


2. If you stretch out your left arm - as far as possible, what are you touching?

A Beatrix Potter alphabet cross-stitch, done by my mother when Son #1 was a year old. It is propped on the floor between my desk and the wooden filing cabinet, waiting to be hung on the wall of my study (the boys don’t want it in their room any more – too babyish. Sob).


3. What's the last program you watched on tv?

A documentary last Sunday night about ancient Egyptian tombs (tombs, not pyramids). I rarely watch television these days.


4. Without looking, guess what time it is.

9.45 pm (it was 9.46 pm. Lordy I am so brilliant)


5. Except the computer, what can you hear right now?

The two spadoodles (sp?) who live two doors up, barking. Crickets. A frog. A car on the dirt road. Random insecty tweets and chirps. (Mostly blissful silence. I had to listen for two minutes [it’s now 9.48pm] to hear all those).



6. When was the last time you were outside and what did you do?

Three hours ago, eating chicken and chips for dinner at the outside table. We slapped mosquitos and the cat and dog lurked in hope of tidbits.


7. What are you wearing?

I worked today so: dark brown skinny ankle length pants (from Savers), Jacqui E burnt orange linen shirt with three quarter sleeves (also from Savers), bare feet now that I’ve kicked off my new caramel slingbacks.


8. Did you dream last night? If you did, what about?

I have no idea. But Mr Soup told me this morning that he dreamt he went to a factory to see the manager about a quote and a big black dog bit him. He struggled to free himself and ended up throwing a ball for the dog so it would let go; when it did, he refused to do the quote and drove off. (Freud, go to town).


9. When was the last time you laughed?

At dinner, as Son #2 stood on his chair and taught the greyhound to jump for chicken scraps. (Stop looking at me like that. We were outside.)


10. What's on the walls, in the room you're in right now?

Behind me - bookshelves.
In front of me - windows.
The wall on my left - a small noticeboard with odds and ends pinned on it.
The wall on my right – cobwebs and a picture hook in the wrong place for the Beatrix Potter which will go there. You know, one day.


11. Have you seen anything strange lately?

Yes. Tonight on the Ring Rd coming home from work at about 5.25pm I noticed the cars ahead of me were slowing right down although I couldn’t see a traffic jam further ahead. Then I spotted an enormous grey kangaroo bounding across the six lane freeway. It made it safely to our side and then proceeded along the fenceline, looking for a way into the scrub.

Needless to say, not a common sight on the freeway.


12. What do you think about this meme?

I like memes. Mostly.


13. What's the last film you saw?

At the cinema - 49 Up
Video or DVD at home – The Shawshank Redemption. Mr Soup has been trying to get me to watch this for years. Loved it. Powerful and moving. Also, Tim Robbins, mmmhmm.


14. If you became a multimillionaire, what would you do with the money?

Pay off the mortgage, take the children and husband to Venice, donate to Amnesty International and The Red Cross and invest the rest. Oh and buy a new car, I think this one is on its last legs. Oh, and buy a new computer, I think this one is on its last legs. Oh and renovate the kitchen, bathroom and laundry as I know these are on their last legs. God I sound so mercenary and materialist. Oh dear.


15. Tell us something about yourself that most people don't know.

I have a blog.


16. If you could change ONE THING in this world, without regarding politics or bad guilt - what would it be?

I’d make it rain.


17. Do you like dancing?

Is the pope Catholic?


18. George Bush?

John Howard?


19. What do you want your children’s names to be, girl/boy?

Well I like the three we chose, but if they had been girls they would have been called Hannah. Other names include Pip, Kit, Noah, Jonah, Charlie, Ned or Rosie, Alice, Pippa, Isobel, Charlotte, Nellie, Jemima, Esther and Hester.


20. Would you ever consider living abroad?

I could happily live in France or Italy. Also on a Greek island. (I have lived abroad in England and the US in the past).


21. What do you want God to tell you, when you come to heaven?

I want Him to tell me where to go.


22. Who should do this meme?

Anyone who wishes to.

12 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

Love your list of names, I was seriously toying with Kit but we're not going back for more, plus we've got a 4-letter name thing going on now.
LOL at Mr Soup's weird dream.

blackbird said...

I think I have to do this now!

hugs and hugs and hugs....

I am missing you.

Stjernesol said...

Hehe ;) You write so good, I could see the kangaroo bounding across the freeway!

And why didn't I write; "I have a blog" on question number 15?

Have a really nice week-end! It's snowing here!!! Oh my God, I want to move... ;)

Stjernesol said...

And ofcourse, now this is a tradition ;) Waiting for a new one, next friday - maybe I could answer that one :)

velcro said...

that was fun. thankyou!

herhimnbryn said...

Thankyou. I might have to do this one too.

I love the image now in my head of your son training the dog at the outdoor table:)

nutmeg said...

You sucked me right in there. I read all the way to the bottom of your meme - great writing.

Love the sound of the caramel slingbacks and the burnt orange (my latest favourite colour - it took me a long time to convince myself that redheads can wear red and the darker oranges) shirt.

Also absolutely addicted to the "Up Series". I took all the preceeding epiodes out of the library before going to see the latest offering. Probably overkill - but my long term memory is shot!

telfair said...

I like Isobel & Kit, too, and your outfit sounds delectable.

BabelBabe said...

Number 20 - sob.

: )

tut-tut said...

How was 49 UP?

Lazy cow said...

Stop telling people about your wildlife sightings ;-) The 'furriners' will think we Aussies really ALL live amongst bouncing kangaroos!
Can't wait for 49up on DVD. I adore Neil.
We do the getting the dog to jump for scraps at the dinner table (I'm sure you're not surprised).

sooz said...

It's not the end of the week for me, but I was an opportunist and did this meme when I got the chance. Come on over and read.