23 November 2006

around here lately ...

the secret naughty-guilty feeling of working from home when you place a call to the Chancellor and he doesn’t know that you’re wearing trackie daks and slippers rather than stockings and a skirt;

beautiful earrings arriving in the post, photos to come;

the dog head-butting the window twice in an attempt to get a fly stuck between the glass and flyscreen;

Son #2 leaning down to examine the fly and accidentally head-butting the window too before collapsing on the floor giggling helplessly;

the children asking how many days until 1st December (the day we put the Christmas tree up) (sorry: the day we put up the Christmas tree. Aah that’s better. Pedant);

a solid hour of knitting in the sunshine during my lunch break;

split pea soup and home made bread for dinner last night, leftovers for lunch today;

calculating what time I need to get up to arrive at a meeting in the city at 7.00 am and who the heck wants a meeting at that time there had better be plenty of caffeine available I am not a morning person and am getting anxious about alarm clocks already and who am I kidding I need caffeine NOW just thinking about it;

the tinkling feeling that one day I might just say I'm baking a cake and I'll meet all you Melbourne bloggers (LC and Sooz and Janet and h&b and Helen and Stomper and Poppalina and Laura and Shannon and Di and Nichola and Jorth and GirlPrinter and Penni and Jo and everybody else) on the Oak Lawn in the Bot Gardens go on come I'll bring cake you bring a thermos just come along and let's all meet and lie in the sun;

burning the batch of lunchbox bran and molasses muffins;

the first Sunday of Advent is looming. Dig out the verses and clear the nature table. We need a new stable and the donkey requires a repair job. I never did make camels;

bananas down to $10 per kilo - we’re getting there oh so slowly;

why do I write all this nonsense here?;

Son #1 has his first formal concert this weekend. He has to wear black and white and (I think) a tie. He does not own the latter two items. Off to Savers – don’t find either but do manage to spend $26 on seven bags of assorted wools and yarns (several old ladies must have died last week, something in the water? Must check). I know I will sob throughout the concert – I weep into my knitting every Wednesday evening as I sit in the corner at rehearsal listening to him play (note to self, buy tape for camcorder and try not to cry on it);

The booklist arriving for Son #1’s first year at high school. Things to be purchased over the Christmas holidays – staples including a dictionary, atlas, maths book with cd (shock horror – this is a Steiner school) compass, protractor, pencils, paints, fountain pen and ink cartridges. He’s never had a booklist before. "It’s just like Hogwarts!" he says;

Reading Jane Austen’s Emma for book group. Have seen the film before (Gwyneth, acting with her neck again, why?) and now must see Clueless;

Listening to Girl with a Pearl Earring in the car. Wanting to drive on and on out into the country, lost in Tracy Chevalier’s glorious, elegant description of seventeenth century Holland. Must watch the film again to see what was amended and omitted in the screenplay and to revel in the beautifully lit images;

Don’t forget to vote on Saturday.

34 comments:

shula said...

Shula, throwing back Mexican poncho, squinting eyes, holding cigar between clenched teeth...says

"Go ahead.....

Bake that cake."

Stomper Girl said...

I'll come! I'll make a lemon slice.
Thanks for all those snippets, I got a lot of laughs, especially your wool haul due to putative death of many little-old-ladies, the not-a-morning person (me neither) worries about caffeine availability at ridiculously early meetings and the vison of you stuffing up your son's concert footage with your noisy sobs. Still smiling.

Kim said...

"lunchbox bran and molasses muffins" - now they'd get your system moving.
You realise every time you mention your children's schooling I YEARN for mine to be at the same ...

Kim said...

I think those muffins should be renamed Depth Chargers. I hope you're on town water and not a septic system where you live ...

Stjernesol said...

Just wondering; why are you putting up the christmas tree 01.12? I mean, isn't that early? Or is it normal, down under? *lol* ;)

Here we put it up 23.12...

And that blog get together thing sounds nice, hope you have a chance to do it someday :)

Meaning to ask you; what's the story about bananas where you live?

blackbird said...

can't you make the cake and go?

Jo said...

I'll bring the Verve Cliquot...
As long as you bring the diary for a reading!

zephyr said...

ah Suse...if this is nonsense...well, just keep on typing it into this magic box, please...
i have to hold myself back, to not put up the Christmas tree until after our US Thanksgiving, which is today. my sister and i (we share this old house) will go cut our tree next week. and as far as i am concerned, it's time to put holiday music into the cd players.

Martina said...

Christmas in summer just doesn't seem right here in the Northern Hemisphere! I agree the tree should go up on the 1st!!! It gives everyone time to aniticipate the great event. Your brain seems very full with all the things to do and think about! Can I join you guys at the park? Just give me a couple of years warning!!

telfair said...

I listened to "Girl with a Pearl Earring" on tape after I read the book and really enjoyed it that way, too -- I'm addicted to listening to audiobooks in the car -- it's like a movie in my head.

herhimnbryn said...

Type on, type on.

velcro said...

I loved the book, but the film was one of many that I slept through. Am not so sure about her others though, they're quite samey alas.

A meeting at 7am? My god that's the middle of the night. I can't imagine anyone being even remotely capable of work at that time.

Our tree goes up on the 24th and comes back down on the 12th day of Christmas. That's just about long enough for the cats to remove all the baubles and whack them around the flat (preferably at 4am) and the FB to eat all the chocolate tree decorations.

sooz said...

Suse, set the date and I am there! I'd love to bake, well, anything, to share. If the rhubarb is in it will be rhubarb muffins, if the passionfruits are in, some passionfruit shortbread, if broadbeans is all it will be broad bean dip. I love the idea of audio books but I don't quite know how to get started...perhaps I need to visit the library and explore...

Isabelle said...

Haven't read you for a few days and have SO enjoyed the last few, previously unread posts. Poor you, as all 50 of your readers say, but ... hmm, that diary. I hope it contained compliments... You are such a good writer. I'm off to iron with a grin.

Isabelle said...

...well, obviously I'll also use an iron.

Siobhan said...

I got bananas for $8.98 in Eltham on Wednesday!

Paisley said...

I read Girl with Pearl Earring last year after seeing the movie and just loved it - all the extra detail about colour mixing and the markets - wondeful.
Cake in the bot gardens sounds lush. What a fun idea.
I'm still waiting for our local supermarket to get some decent bananas (a girl at work brought one from home yesterday and ate it in front of us - my boss and I were drooling!).

Suse said...

Kim - septic.

Stj - Christmas decorations are in all the shops already, some people put up the trees very early. Our house rule is no earlier than 1 Dec.

- the Australian banana crop was wiped out by Cyclone Larry earlier this year. The price jumped from $1.99/kilo to nearly $16 due to their scarcity. Bananas cannot be imported into Australia because of our quarantine laws.

Siobhan - my $10 bananas were from Eltham Coles!

Isabelle - no compliments.

Now, this bloggy thing. It was an off the cuff remark. Don't hold me to it! And if I were to organise it I would have to set rules, which may offend people. Which I don't like doing. So I probably will not be organising it. So I shouldn't have said a word, should I? I'll shut up now.

Telfair - "like a movie in my head". Exactly!

MsCellania said...

Oh, the septic. The Live Biology experiment...We cohabited with one for 13 years and never had any troubles. I poured yeast down the commode once a year. Don't know if that helped or not.

We are putting up our tree this weekend as the dad will be out of town again. I am decorating the house and enjoying it. The kids are loving it!

Very sweet about #1 son's booklist - Just like Hogwarts! He must be quite excited.

Lazy cow said...

I *love* your nonsense. Would like to comment further but am waiting for the in-laws to arrive for the weekend. My sister has just been here and FORCED me to have a glass of chardy to relax. Fortunately they are nowhere near as bad as your recent guests :-) I'll be back here on Sunday.

nutmeg said...

Nothing better than split pea soup the next day.

You're varied post is a joy!

nutmeg said...

That you're was of course supposed to be your.

The Cosmopolitan has already had its effect :-)

shula said...

suse backtracks desperately....

thought your comment might slip through, did you?

Stjernesol said...

Suse

Ah, now I understand the banana talk :) Thank you!

Christmas have been in the stores here too, for more than two months... Well, well ;)

Have a really nice week-end!

Lazy cow said...

OH GOD! I just read your post properly. I'll bring the wine. Just say when (and seriously, I'll help organise, promise).

Janet said...

Bloggy picnic would be fun. I'd make a lemon tart or maybe something less soggy like a slice, and we could have tea and wine, beer and coffee. Yak yak yak. Will help organise if required. Can be quite bossy, good at rules.

Bananas $8 a kilo at Brunswick Safeway this week, nearly fell over, bought five. Will never, ever take them for granted again.

shula said...

$8 per kilo will now get you a perfect banana at Vic Market. I've seen them as low as $5, but only for the grey, scary ones.

Slowly, slowly...

BabelBabe said...

my tree goes up christmas eve but stays up till at least ukrainian christmas (Jan 6).

thank you for fixing the putting...up split : )

i wish i could send you bananas!

tiel S-K said...

banana smoothies, bananas and custard..you name it we are eating them...at $6.99 per kilo!

sueeeus said...

I got goosebumps reading that No. 1 is going to HIGH SCHOOL already! Where does the time go?! Wish I could join the party in the park. Love the greyhound, glass, and giggles story.

h&b said...

I'm with Jo. I don't bake, but I shur do like a sip !!

And the diary reading.
We can pass it around campfire-style, each reading a snippet aloud.

And laughing.
Lots.

Penni said...

You know MY book is on audio... If you should need a little light aurality. It's in some libraries. I know it's in my local on cd.

$6.99 at Psorakos in Thornbury. We bought two. Una hardly knows what a banana is.

I like cake.

carolyn said...

Oh, let's!

But before then, I'd like to send you a paper party invite: could you send me your mailing address?

Gert Bruhn said...

Just passing thru and I think you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to put you in my favorites! It was quite useful reading, found some interesting details about this topic. Thanks.
I have a Website site/blog. It pretty much covers betting and poker solutionrelated stuff and more than one opportunity.
Come and check it out when you have the time and keep up the great work on your site :-