18 January 2007

socks like brach's like siri's like alicia's like

I did finish some socks I did I did.

Remember I finished one quite some time ago? With the yarn sent by Christina?

It finally has a partner.

I first saw these beautiful lolly concoctions over at the queen of socks, which in turn led me to these short ones and finally to these pretty ones.

I had grand plans of happily plagiarising Siri’s photo which cheerfully copies Alicia’s, but my parents are staying with us and the idea of standing on a chair and leaning out to take a picture of my pink striped legs and explaining what a blog is and why is it called Pea Soup and aren’t they all paedophiles and axe murderers anyway didn’t appeal. Plus we don’t have those Brachs sweets here so the photographic accessory would have to be a bowl of neopolitan ice cream. Again, there would have been much wrinkling of brows and muttering about what the strange offspring is up to now.

Plus it’s 40 degrees every day currently (over 100 in old money) so the donning of socks, even socks as beautiful and ice creamy as these, is just not on. And ice cream melts fast.

neopolitan socks off

So they lie quietly, awaiting the onset of soft autumnal breezes.



Even this photoshoot elicited bemused looks from the wrinkled ones.

Jeeez. Parents.

18 comments:

shula said...

I get hot just looking at them.

And a strange, inexplicable craving for neopolitan icecream....

Are you knitting somewhere cool or something? My studio is uninhabitable.

Joke said...

OMG, Shula, please exit my brain now.

-J.

Elizabeth said...

That colourway is definitely hunger-inducing! Probably why it's so popular.
I'm the Odd Child of my family, so I don't bother explaining any more.

Anonymous said...

They do remind me of neopolitan ice cream... Very beautiful... Yes explaining about blogging at times does require a whiteboard and a handful of coloured pens... I have given up to the largest degree now trying to explain blogging... Although being of the older generation I have had some admiring comments from those very young people... You have a blog!!! WOW!!!! Which in interpretation means "you know how to work a computer????" I may be going grey around but I can stiil navigate my way around the internet...

meggie said...

Suse, love those socks, ....but in this heat, unthinkable!!
Where did you get your creativeness! Surely they should appreciate that!?

I may be 'old' but I seem to think young, thank goodness!

nutmeg said...

Yes, had similar questions when my parents stayed. Who are you writing to over there (my computer is in the kitchen)? You don't write to us on the computer! That's because you don't open them - they're all full of viruses apparently (and notes from paedophiles and axe/serial murderers!)

Another pair of beautiful socks Suse. Can knitting them send some vibes to the heavens to cool down a bit?

Stomper Girl said...

They are great, and I really enjoyed following the matching lollies links. You should do the neapolitan icecream shot, Suse, you know you should. Use child-labour, maybe? Here you go, kid just put these on for a sec and then you can have this delicious bowl of icecream which I just happen to leave carelessly in the photo

BabelBabe said...

do your parents know you call them The Wrinkled Ones? : )

I ADORE those socks (although your heels match - bummer), and am hastening to knit more proficiently so someday I can knit amazing socks. I also really like those coconut candies that they go with - yum!

Meg said...

Gorgeous! Socks are brilliant for hot weather knitting, no hot woolly stuff sitting on your lap - and in this case, probably having the added cooling effect of making you fantasize about neapolitan ice cream.

teachergirl said...

My feet are so cold right now that I just fancy wearing them. How yummy; my students would think I was something. They are gorgeous. I'm happy when I can knit a straight row.

telfair said...

Those are GORGEOUS.

Really.

victoria said...

I love those socks! Beautiful!

Karan said...

Hold the phone! Yeah, nice socks, actually lovely socks...but the most important revelation in this entry is that there are no Brach's Neopolitan Coconuts candies there at all? NONE?

sueeeus said...

How can there be no Brachs neopolitans!?! Say it ain't so! And those socks DO conjure images of said divine sugary goodness. Gorgeous and yummy, all at once.

...giggling at the ref to the wrinkled ones...

carolyn said...

i love that colorway! :)

girlprinter said...

Love the length! I'm inspired (almost) to get cracking and finish the pair I've been working on for almost a year. Not a sock knitter here, I'm afraid.

craftydabbler said...

Absolutely beautiful!

String Bean said...

Hooray! Two socks! Very nice.