20 February 2007

whirlwindy times

labels

The blog craft-swap-meet was fun. Organised by Justine and Nichola, and held in the beautiful and inspiring surrounds of Amitie, we met, nattered, laughed, swapped gifts and admired. I even got to hold the most precious package of all – a six day old baby.

packaging

It’s a cliché, but it is always lovely to meet people whose blogs I read or have exchanged the odd email with, or even viewed from afar (the twin goddesses of Backtack were present). Good to put real life people to those words and pictures on the screen.

Since then it’s been a whirlwind of activity here getting Son #1 off to camp for a week and making birthday preparations for the littlest member of the house (8 years old today).

birthday cape

For various reasons Son 3#’s school class didn’t get their own birthday cape and crown when they became a class last year. So the other day I put my hand up (why, oh why this week of all weeks did I do that?) to make the cape, and another mum made a beautiful felt crown adorned with beads and ribbon and felted ‘gems’. Excuse the dodgy picture of the cape but it was finished at midnight last night (of course), and this morning I had to photograph it in a rush before it was whisked off to school. Kind of nice that my child gets to christen it, as I made it.

18 comments:

plum said...

Oh the cape is lovely! And so is the idea of having a cape and crown to wear on your birthday - I've never known of a class who did that. How special does that make the child feel on their day? Methinks I'll have to start a new tradition round here.

shula said...

Beautiful cape.

Are we going to get to find out what exactly you made for the blog swap?

King for a Day.

How gorgeous is that?

Bec of the Ladies Lounge said...

I've reverted to face washers. I was with the wristy things for a long while but I've gone back to the other Suse classic.

am I right?

By the way, I'd settle just for the packaging.

Or the baby cuddle.

Or the cape.

justine said...

by the way S, thank-you sooooo much for your beautiful gift, so much love put into it :) x

Violet & Rose said...

Hey Suse! Love that cape. What a great idea. And, yes, agree with Justine. I'm too scared to wash it because it is sooo soft. You really did put a lot of time and effort into those gifts - and I am honoured to have two.

Joke said...

The tag! The cartons! (But especially the tags!)

Love 'em.

-J.

blackbird said...

Nice indeed!

Aren't you all busy busy?

Thimbleanna said...

A cape and crown for your birthday. It's one of those slap your forehead moments where you say -- why didn't I think of that when my children were little. What a fabulous idea -- and I hope one that will catch on!

daysgoby said...

What a great idea!

And I'm dying to see the swag!

sueeeus said...

It's a fine cape, and happiest of birthday wishes for #3!!!!

capello said...

yeah, we'll be needing pictures of the crown too...

LOVE the cape.

Elizabeth said...

Saw the pics over at Justine's. You looked very natural with the babe-in-arms.
The birthday crown and cape is a lovely idea.

tut-tut said...

How did you make those lovely tags??

samantha said...

thank you for my beautiful washer - I too am to scared to use it as it is just too lovely!

the crown and cape are so wonderful - I bet the birthday kid feels extra special

Suse said...

Pics of the gifts and the participants over at Justine's blog.

I ceased to be photogenic when I was about 12 but I am holding a very photogenic baby in several shots.

Oh, and there's a nice one of the back of my head.

Stomper Girl said...

Loved looking at all the photos from the blogmeet. Are your tubes squeaking again after the baby-cuddle?

The cape and crown are a lovely idea. We just get a clap for each year and one to grow at our school. How nice that your son christned the cape.

NICOLE said...

AAAh too sweet....lovely to meet you!

BabelBabe said...

i would settle for a cup of tea in person with you, no gfts needed. (maybe i can say that because i own a suse special : ))

happy bday #3 son! although at that age - well, frankly, ever - i'dhave DIED before i wore a cape and crown on my birthday.