14 March 2007

pumpkin mania

pumpkins

I’ve been on a pumpkin kick lately.

With the return of morning mists in the valley and a crisp edge to the air in the evenings, I searched for a simple pattern for knitted pumpkins to add to our autumn nature table.

I spotted these over at knitty, but frankly, the idea of knitting several different pieces, sewing them together and then felting the whole thing just seemed like too much bother. It seems I’ve reached my own personal crafting tipping point

So I checked my stash of woollen blankets and op shop jumpers I’ve collected for felting purposes, and found some pleasing oranges and browns.

Et voila! Autumnal pumpkins, sewn from a cream wool blanket, some pale apricot dyed blanket left over from a costume last year, a brown chenille bedspread, a felted orange jumper and bits of brown and green wool felt for the stems.

Some are on our nature table, three went to Son #3’s classroom nature table, and a few to a dear friend for her nature table after she picked up a couple of grocery items for me last week and wouldn’t accept payment (but admired the pumpkins sitting on the kitchen bench).

pumpkins en masse

18 comments:

Judi said...

I've lurked long enough! Great pumpkins..or as my niece used to say punkips...and a double rainbow post is followed by a double post?? i gotta say your pics are beautiful as is your sense of humour.

ThirdCat said...

your children are so lucky

Shula said...

Can't stop looking at them.

They're making my head all spinny.

littlejennywren said...

They are gorgeous.

martina said...

Great pumpkins! Still love the idea of a nature table!

shellyC said...

They are fantastic - i love the chenille ones.

tut-tut said...

very crafty of you! a very good idea.

meggie said...

Great pumpkins!!

herhimnbryn said...

Soup Lady, you have made some jewels.

tracie said...

I love the pumpkins. A fantastic idea for the nature table. I'm a big fan of your blog and just love your pictures of where you live. Just beautiful (oh and your previous post 'half empty' made me laugh out loud. Comforting and hilarious.

blackbird said...

They are wonderful!

I'm afraid I lost your feed as you moved to new blogger -
thank heavens I've found you...
was feeling a little lost.

String Bean said...

I love them. For a second I thought you had knitted them and I though to myself: She's insane! Knitting that fine gauge then cuting and sewing the pieces - Is she mad!?

No, she's not.

elena jane said...

those are beautiful. you have such clever ideas, and i do love pumpkins, colours are so vibrant and all.

Em said...

These are utterly, devinely gorgeous! I envy your talent.

craftydabbler said...

Oh, I especially love the chenille pumpkins. They are all lovely.

Sarah Louise said...

Be-gorgeous (sorry--beautiful seemed too common a word) I LOVE pumpkins. My mother has a garden and one year she had thirteen pumpkins growing. This was before I owned a digi camera (sigh). I called it "Cinderella's Garden."

You have quite a crafty knack--they are de-lovely!

Mary said...

I must have lost your feed when you moved to the new blogger. Found you again and just love those pumpkins!

lizzyruffles said...

Theses are amazing! Love the chenile bedspread ones.