28 May 2007

Baking [mis]adventures

cumquats

I harvested (!) these from my two little laden cumquat trees, thinking I might have enough to actually make cumquat marmalade this year. Alas, instead of the 1kg required, I only had 200g. Not even enough to halve the recipe. And nearly-quartering the recipe was going to seriously challenge my maths skills, so it was to the interwebs I turned.

And found the Tropical Kumquat Cake. Which looks really odd spelt with a K, doesn’t it?

failing at cake baking

And looked even odder when I took it out of the oven. Damn that K.

I sulked a bit. Quite a lot really. More than a grown woman should.

Until I trimmed the edges, slopped chunks of it into bowls, added dollops lashings of King Island cream and called it Pudding.

edible after all

Suddenly it was more than passable.

However my wounded pride needed further bolstering.

bran molasses muffins

To shore up my confidence in my baking abilities I turned to an old favourite. These Bran and Molasses Muffins were also sourced via the wonder that is Google a couple of years ago when a Canadian expat friend moaned that she missed this staple food of her homeland and couldn’t find a suitable recipe over here. I happily undertook some research on her behalf (I am nice like that; and I like muffins , long term readers may have noticed), test drove four separate recipes for appropriate levels of moistness, chewiness and simplicity of preparation, and presented her one day with a single muffin, wrapped in a copy of the recipe. (She promptly moved interstate and I never found out whether she approved of the recipe or not, but we like it here and I make it regularly).

And it doesn’t runneth over like the bloody c/kumquat cake.

19 comments:

Dy said...

You could call it a Kontemporary Kumquat Kake. ;-)
Looks extremely yummy on the inside!

crafty said...

Ahhh, baking. I consider anything I make to be a success if it isn't burnt to a crisp.Your Kumquat pudding looks delicious!

daintee said...

Hahahaha, I loved your cake photo. I laugh with authority only because I've ruined so many cakes before!!

Stomper Girl said...

Your cake looks like it will suddenly open its eyes and mouth and demand to be taken to our leader. Or at the very least, the set of Doctor Who.

shula said...

Such an honest cook you are.

Looks delicious.

Funny how the flops sometimes taste the best.

Em said...

Thank you so much for making me laugh today! Your Kumquat cake is truly something!

Emma said...

oooh, that cake is a little scary! But I bet it'd be great with icecream! Sorry you missed out of the cumquat marmalade. We're obsessed with Rose's Lime Marmalade in our house :)

Jenny said...

That is the worst cake I have ever seen, but the colour of those cumquats is just beautiful

tut-tut said...

See, you can't judge a book by its cover, or somethng like that!

Kim said...

cream fixes everything.

Anonymous said...

.....and after successes of the 5 cup cake too!

I have been spreading the word on that recipe, now making the rounds in Northern France. Have experimented with many variations, no failures- yet....
I'm with the adding cream/ice cream to rescue the kumquat kake

BabelBabe said...

first i laughed out loud at your cake photo; then Stomper made me laugh harder. I am clearly a bad friend, BUT I'd have eaten it.

i had no idea you could spell kumquat with a C. we americans are so clueless. or maybe that's Klueless.

herhimnbryn said...

But it tasted good, so no worries Mate!

h&b said...

It looks like the elephant-man's head !!

I *adore* old-fashioned 'steamed' pudding though. I like eating it the common way, heated, and served with cold milk .. mmm

This looks perfect for the job.

Elizabeth said...

This cake looks like the one my daughter made when she mistook 1/4 tsp for 1/4 c of baking soda.
I hope your oven is self-cleaning.

(Canadians use the non-exploding "k" version, but they are rare in these parts)

elena jane said...

looks tasty....and the kumquats are beautiful!!

String Bean said...

Oh Suse! That cake! How can one not laugh? Is it any consolation to say "I feel your pain"? I can't make a cake to save my life.

Melanie said...

I had to chuckle at how that beautiful bowl of kumquats turned into such a monstrous looking cake. It reminded me of the from scratch lemon meringue pie I proudly made for a family dinner from lemons from my tree, eggs from my chooks, and my own pastry. Unfortunately, under the voluminous and perfect meringue, the lemon filling had not set and had turned into soup, and had also ruined the pastry. Unlike your cake, it was not salvagable and not very edible (although everyone sympathetically ate it!) - I was mostly upset because it was a waste of good ingredients.

just trying to walk away said...

my roommate and I are learning about cumquats and found your blog on google. thanks for the great laugh and lovely picture of that cake.