If I plug the word random into the search blog facility up there at the top of the page I see I’ve done variations on this meme several times already, but hey my whole blog is random, so here I go again, quite happily.
1. I’ve ended up subscribed to several magazines this year, which is unusual for me. Three I’ve arranged myself, one is a gift from my electricity supplier for ordering green electricity and the other was a gift from mum. They are Earth Garden, Yarn, Donna Hay, Home Beautiful and Australian Country Style. I leave it to you to work out which ones I bought. I rarely get time to read them anyway. I barely get to look at the weekend papers either. Sigh.
2. When I finish typing this I will make bread and a
3. I get really smug when I recycle something more than once. I made these bedtime wheatbags for the children (the bedrooms are unheated and two of the boys don’t like the feel of hot water bottles and I haven’t got around to making covers for them in the hope that will fix the fussiness about the rubbery feel). These used to be bedspreads, purchased from the op shop. The white one was turned into a children’s cloak like this one, and the brown one became pants (August 2005 archives, lousy photos so no direct link, those of you dedicated enough can dig through yourselves, I’m not advertising my poor photography) for Son #1. He wore the knees out, I patched them, they were eventually passed down to Son #2 who promptly wore the bum out (don’t ask). The only part of the pants unpatched and in reasonable condition were the backs of the legs, so they became wheatbags. I feel ridiculously proud of my multiple recycling efforts. Like those cultures where you eat every single bit of the animal. Or make a silk purse out of it. Eewww.
That was a really boring photograph, wasn’t it? Moving right along.
4. I’ve had people tell me that my blog is doing funky things with the sidebar overlapping the main text. Some people like it and others tell me it’s hard to read. It seems to depend on which browser one uses. I’ve had a very generous offer to fix it. Tell me, is it hard for you to read or do you quite like this quirky feature? [Vote now!]
5. I have four punnets of native grasses by my front door awaiting planting. They’ve been there since I did the last random things meme. Must plant soon! (On linking to that post I noticed I have posted a photo twice on this blog. Apologies).
6. When the kitchen was non-existent a couple of weeks ago the children built a firepit outside and we ate our leftover-from-the-bottom-of-the-freezer chicken curry under the stars by the fire. This inspired us to make it permanent. The pit needed to be moved as the children placed it a little too close to the house for comfort (as in, right under the eaves), so they spent an afternoon rebuilding it. Right in the middle of my future vegie patch. Good thing I like vegie patches with feature fireplaces smack in the middle. Would you like to see a picture? Okay then.
They even built seats. Cool huh?
7. Seven, jeez this is getting hard. You lot know everything about me already [that I’m willing to reveal to a bunch of paedophiles and axe murderers anyway*]. Alright … I had my hair cut and coloured on Thursday night. (Enthralling, isn’t it?) I deemed it necessary after a conversation in the school playground recently when I moaned about my grey hair and another mother told me she loved my hair colour because it was "almost silver-white!" I didn’t take this news with quite the same enthusiasm with which she pronounced it, and made an appointment that day. I tried not to sob on the phone.
*Oh no, not you. You’re sweet.
8. My final random is for Janet, my tagger, and her wonderful sideblog Mrs Washalot, and because I’m currently reading The Magic Faraway Tree to Son #3. This is my current method of drying the washing.
If you try this at home, be aware that five minutes is ample drying time. (Yeah. Ask me how I know. Does Preen get rid of scorch marks?)
I’m not tagging, it terrifies me. Put your hand up and I’ll pick.