17 July 2007

more small knitteds (updated)

Instant gratification is all the rage these days, no? Certainly I can’t seem to knuckle down to large projects right now, and am contenting myself with small achievements.

I made a pair of these in black, for a customer but forgot to photograph them so you’ll have to use your imagination. (Or, you know, follow the link and squint). This is a pattern from Knitty, tweaked to include a little cabling detail and a picot cast off. They’re also almost gauntlet length as I was engrossed in a movie (The Italian Job, the 1969 version with Michael Caine and Noel Coward) and kept on going before I realised I needed to include a thumb hole. I hope the recipient appreciates the extra length in this coldest winter in seven years we’re experiencing.


Other productive moments of late include the finalising of some baby gifts that have been hanging around knitted but not stuffed for far too long.

Baby C's gnome

Grover's gnome
And another cotton washcloth, knitted in a basketweave stitch with a moss stitch border. I’ve taken to using these as dishcloths when they get a little old and lose their softness, and find the crunchiness perfect in the kitchen.

washcloth





In other (non-knitting related) developments, Son #2 needs a new pair of shoes.

filthy shoes

Update: Following all the floor-love comments I thought I'd better set you all straight; this floor isn't mine, sadly. It's at Federation Square in the centre of town. There are 7865 of these sandstone tiles.

22 comments:

tamara said...

I, too, am a fan of the cotton-washcloth-gone-crunchy in the kitchen...must knit more!

...and lovely baby gifts too.

luv Abby said...

I love the little stuffed toys... theya re too cute... where did you find the pattern....
luv Abby

Suse said...

Pattern here.

Kim said...

forget the shoes, that flooring is to die for.

posiepatchwork said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, & while you might be having the coldest Winter in 7 years, just think what that Ostrich endures - 30C year round under that doona of feathers!! Sorry Victorians, up here in the Top End of the NT, it's fans on & windows open at night, children in singlets for bed . . . you can laugh next year when we move to Canberra ACT. Love Posie

blackbird said...

that's a great floor -
is it in your house?

Beck said...

Those little gnomes! AAAA! They're beauitful!

MyUtopia said...

Your little knit people are just too cute!

Badger said...

What Kim and Blackbird said. I am IN LOVE with that tile floor!

Er, the knitting is nice too, though.

paula said...

Your warmers are lovely. I really have to try the knitty pattern this year.

When I made my first pair of wrist warmers my thumb kept getting REALLY cold, so I've started adding an open ended thumb gusset. The shaping is easy and the result is a much warmer thumb.

herhimnbryn said...

Have just started crocheting washcloths in cotton, using a hook so small I have to wear my specs. What ply cotton do you use?

You floor is gorgeous. A mosaicer's dream.

anonlurkermom said...

Heaping more love on the floor!

Ex-Shammickite said...

Yes... floor... knitting, little stuffed people, knittting and floor, it's all superduper.

telfair said...

I've gone washcloth-mad, too, of late...

willowcaroline said...

Bummer about the floor... I was really envying you all that stone loveliness! Love the gnomes...my sons' nursery teacher made them as Christmas gifts for the children, and they each had a wee backpack that she would put 2 jewels and a wooden star in... do your Waldorf schools do the "jewels"? They are really round colored glass, and most people here use them in the bottom of vases to keep the flowers steady - unless they attend a Waldorf school, lol.

Stomper Girl said...

I am seriously considering some gauntlets for me. One of the studios where I teach is freezing and even after 2 hours of jumping around my fingies are still froz.

My big boy has shoes like that too.

bec said...

Where do you get your cotton for the washcloths? Is it Bendigo WM?

Word verif is 'gsolv': which I am sure means you are going to answer my question for me...

Sarah Louise said...

Who cares whose floor it is? You have it forever on film (or whatever it is digi pix are on.) What a great picture!!! I would frame that and call it "Baby needs new shoes." WOW.

When I come to Oz, Federation Square will be a major site to visit.

(Sadly, I will need a raise before I can plan a trip to Oz. I'll just rely on your photographic skills until then.)

Jenny said...

I love using knitted clothes in the kitchen. My mother thinks I am a peasant when she sees them.

sueeeus said...

I just love your gnomes and that floor is to DIE for. It's absolutely stunning. Oh, I should have read your comments before blathering on. It's already been said!

Sheeps Clothing said...

I've never seen the tiles at Fed Square look so good!
Your bit about collecting kindling take me back to my own school holidays. I grew up on a farm and every weekend and holidays I would be sent out into the paddocks to collect firewood.

Leah said...

Lovely gnomes, and those tiles!!