14 August 2007

food, part I

What an enthusiastic crowd you are. All the recipes, eh?

This will keep me en blogge for the rest of the week.

First, the easiest one. The fruit loaf. Just take your favourite bread or sourdough recipe and add a good dash of cinnamon and/or mixed spice, an extra tablespoon of sugar, and a cup or so of mixed dried fruit/raisins/currants/sultanas/dried apricot. Bake as usual blah blah blah.

Now, the Hazelnut Coffee Cake.

4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
100g ground hazelnuts
6 tablespoons plain flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon instant coffee grounds/powder

Beat eggs and sugar. Fold in nuts. Sift in dry ingredients. Easy!
Bake at 180C for approx 15 minutes. Fast!
Dust with icing sugar or ice with mocha or coffee icing.
I love this cake because you can whip it up 20 minutes before your guests arrive for morning tea, or when the child says Oh Mum! I need to take a cake to school today for the cake stall/feast/pagan coffee-cake celebration. It's a low-rise, dryish cake, perfect to serve with a cup of tea or coffee. I make it regularly for the children's lunchboxes as a change from muffins, or the ubiquitous [spit]muesli bars.[/spit]
Originally found on the back of the 100g packet of Lucky Ground Hazelnuts. (Don't go looking for it though, the packets now feature an orange hazelnut cake recipe).


Black-eye beans with cumin and tomato

Recipe found in Epicure, years ago.

350g black-eye beans, soaked in cold water overnight
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 dessertspoon oil
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
handful of chopped fresh parsley
4 large tomatoes, chopped (or a 400g tin of tomatoes, in winter)
1 dessertspoon tomato paste
1 small chilli, chopped (less if your children don't cope)
2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari, or a wee knob of miso paste

Drain soaking water from beans. Saute onion in oil until lightly coloured. Add the garlic and cumin and continue to frizzle until fragrant. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley and beans, and enough water to cover (I make this in a big pot). Season with the chilli and miso/soy/tamari. Bring to boil, then boil rapidly for five minutes. Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking for 20 minutes or until beans are tender and mixture has thickened and reduced slightly. Serve with roasted quartered potatoes [how heavenly is that, I ask you?], or basmati rice, a salad of bitter greens like rocket or witlof, and a dollop of natural yoghurt. I could eat this once a week.

I'll post more of the recipes tomorrow. Today I had a different assortment of children home ill, one barking like a seal and the other teary and just in need of some attention I suspect.

Time for wine.

6 comments:

meggie said...

Yum indeed!
And I like the wine time at the end!

Ex-Shammickite said...

oh YAY! Recipes! I love recipes. The hazelnut cake sounds yummy, so I went to the supermarket looking for ground hazelnuts today.... nope, couldn't find any. Perhaps I should try a bigger store, the one in my small town is just that.... SMALL!

jorth said...

Mmmmm, those beans sound good.

Or, as Grumbles would say, "Not bad!"

Sally Forth said...

I love black-eyed peas and will try this recipe. But, what are bushwalker biscuits?

bluemountainsmary said...

Suse that lamb looks incredible - as do these recipes - I can feel a coffee hazelnut cake coming on - are bushwalkers cookies like rock cakes?!

Lazy cow said...

Thanks for the hazelnut cake recipe. Unfortunately my pack of ground hazelnuts expired in March, so will have to wait for the next grocery shop.