16 August 2007

food, part II

bushwalker biscuits

Bushwalker Biscuits

Recipe from my best friend’s late father. I think of him fondly every time I pull a batch of these from the oven.

1/2 cup butter/margarine
1 cup raw sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sultanas/dates/currants
1 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup crushed breakfast cereal (cornflakes, weetbix, etc)
1/2 cup coconut

Cream the butter and sugar. Add egg, water and vanilla, beat until smooth. Add everything else. Drop rounded teaspoonsful of mixture onto a baking paper-lined baking tray and bake at 190C for 10-12 minutes. Remove from tray to a wire rack immediately.



And in breaking news, I didn’t make the orange syrup cake I was dreaming of. A closer look at the recipe showed it requires a food processor (which I don't have) and I wasn’t feeling brave enough to deal with orange rind and pulp with my bare hands. However, the recipe was on a page which included another syrup cake which I can happily report was to die for.

Cinnamon and Walnut Syrup Cake
(served upside down)

3 eggs
3/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup self raising flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
185g butter, melted
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Beat eggs until thick and creamy, gradually add sugar. Beat in sifted flour and cinnamon in several batches, beat in melted butter and stir in walnuts. Bake in a 23cm square pan, in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes (it took about 40-45 in my oven). While it’s cooking, make a sugar syrup: combine 1 cup of sugar with 3/4 cup of water in a small saucepan, stirring over low to medium heat constantly until sugar is dissolved, then bringing to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. When the cake is cooked, let it stand in the pan for 5 minutes. Then turn upside down onto a wire rack, and with a tray underneath, slowly pour the hot syrup over the hot cake.

Recipe says "Keeping time: 3 days". As if. It was gone in a day here.

walnut and cinnamon syrup cake

16 comments:

tamara said...

Oh YUM!

Kimberly said...

My dear, I would say "help a poor Yank" but I live in the south and just can't bring myself to do so.

What, oh what, is caster sugar?

That cake looks yummilicious!

posiepatchwork said...

Wow, great recipes & all from your gorgeous new kitchen. I bet you love that new oven. Alas, in Army housing we have the same bottom of the range oven in every house in every state. It's horrifying to admit, as i pat & stroke & love my Kitchenaid Mixer, that such cheap rental housing ovens tend to only cook packet cake & slice mixes well, not ones baked from scratch. It's embarrassing for a preservative free mummy like moi to admit. At least we make all our dinner from the herbs & spices up, & have 6 licked clean dinner plates each night to honour the effort. Love Posie

tut-tut said...

And your photographs of them make them even more delicious looking! I shall try both recipes.

Russ said...

All of your recipes have looked delish! My roommate in college's mom would send her big coffee tins full of cookies that were very like the ones you made. Her mom called them Ranger cookies. Who knows why. We would devour them!

Caroline said...

Oh, oh I was on my husband's account. I'm the one who made the previous comment:)

daysgoby said...

(copying recipes furiously)

My god, your house must smell good.

Joke said...

Caster sugar is what Americans call "superfine" sugar.

I utterly love, LOVE your photography. If by some miracle I ever become the cookbook deity I deserve to be, I will hire you to photograph all the recipes. The food may taste like death, but the images will make up for it.

Seriously, that's a talent and a half.

-J.

bec said...

wonderful. beautiful. delicious.

Now.

where's me bloomin' lamb, woman?

Suse said...

Look out for the Joke Soup cookbook, everybody.

Thanks for the compliments.

Castor/Caster sugar is fine white sugar used in baking. I'm sure if you Google you'll find the American terminology.

Suse said...

Bec. Bloomin' lamb is coming when I remember where the recipe is.

Breathe.

Stomper Girl said...

I am definitely trying the cinnamon walnut cake. And I am also definitely buying the Joke Soup cookbook when it comes out.

meggie said...

Yummy goodness!

bluemountainsmary said...

I'm really enjoying baking cakes these days after years of being mysteriously fearful of baking. So your cake will get a definite run....and (I am whispering now because I don't wish to seem too demanding) I'm really looking forward to the lamb recipe too - hope you find it -

Janet said...

Oh, yum. That cake is that the cake you can't stop baking? It looks delish. Wouldn't stand a chance here.

My float said...

OMG This is the best cake I've ever ever made. Seriously fantastic. The honey macadamias made a wonderful substitute for walnuts. I scooped up the dripped syrup and spoooned it over again. it just melted in my mouth and was so sweet and syrupy...

yours forever in cake bliss!!