17 August 2007

food, part III

italian lamb

Italian Lamb Casserole

Prep: 25 mins
Cooking: 1 hour
Serves: 6

1 x 1.5kg leg lamb, boned
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
30 g butter
4 medium sticks celery, sliced
2 large onions, sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 x 440g tin tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine (I used red)
1 cup chicken stock
oregano (I only had golden marjoram in my garden; it was ok)
thyme (my thyme is lemon thyme, which worked well)
rosemary
black pepper

Preheat oven to 180c. Trim meat of excess fat and sinew. Cut in 4 cm cubes. Toss lightly in flour. Heat oil and butter in a heavy based pan. Cook lamb quickly in small batches over medium-high heat until well browned. Place in 6-cup capacity casserole.

Add celery, onion, carrot and garlic to pan. Pour in tomatoes with their juice and stir in tomato paste. Add wine, stock and herbs. Bring to boil, scraping the browned residue from surface of pan. Pour over lamb, season with pepper.

Cover and bake in the oven for 1 hour or until lamb is tender. Serve with crusty bread and a green salad (or mashed potato like we did).

5 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

This sounds delish. Shame I exploded my casserole dish.

bluemountainsmary said...

there you go - that's the one I've been waiting for - and it doesn't disappoint _ I will be making next week - when I am reading recipes I imagine each of the flavours in my mind and in my mouth - if that makes sense - and this one is making my mouth water - thanks so much for your week of lovely recipes

bec said...

Me too. promise to stop nagging now.

I shall dream of it as I entertain the pescatarians much later on this rainy Sunday.

MsCellania said...

Amen to the Yum.

Stjernesol said...

Looks delicious !


mmm :)