26 September 2007

a little something for everyone

bowl of strawberry bookmarks

More strawberry bookmarks. Made using this pattern and adding a tail to turn it into a bookmark.

More knitted play food.

knitted pear

Created using the eggplant pattern from here but tweaking it a bit to elongate it into a pear shape. Might tweak it a bit more next time.

I’ve been experimenting in getting ‘Lifelike Shading’ into my knitted foods. (Try not to be jealous of my life). I’m pleased with the strawberries – I’ve finally worked out that I need to begin with the darkest red, gradually incorporate the medium red, and work in the pink right at the top as the green begins. It’s only taken 36 strawberries to achieve something natural looking.

As for the pear, I used a light apple-green yarn knitted double strand with a thin yellow homespun yarn (seen on mittens here) to try and get a variegated green and gold pear-like look. I think my next pear will be yellowy brown. And will feature one little leaf, fetchingly positioned to the side.

It’s all so thrilling! I hear you say. Shut up.

Onto other stuff. It’s school holidays here and my children are busy making a movie. It all started with Son #2 fiddling around with Mr Soup’s mobile phone (creating a ring tone of his own voice yelling Dad, Dad, the phone’s ringing! Someone wants to talk to you! Quick, answer your phone! as Mr Soup discovered when he was at work yesterday and someone called him) and found the little three minute movie feature. They had a great time filming themselves, and that was it. They were off, onto bigger things. They dug out the real movie camera, Son #1 quickly devised a plot (featuring guns created out of old clingwrap tubes and gaffertape and the gruesome murders of several cast members) and shooting began. Literally.

Discoveries:
• Son #1 has a hidden, rather disturbing, talent for script development. Genre: horror.
• Son #2 can make a very realistic gunshot sound.
• Son #3 is a talented little actor, and does an excellent death.
• Tomato paste stains light coloured clothing.
• Learning that windows act at mirrors and if you film someone exiting through a glass door, as the door closes behind the actor, it will reveal an earnest looking cameraman and a very casual and slightly distracted director swinging in a tree behind the cameraman. This will not be obvious on the tiny screen of the camera, leading to discovery only later that night as you watch the rushes on the tv screen. (Rushes. See we’ve got the jargon down already? Cool, huh. Must teach them to say Action! rather than Go!).

I interrupted their filming yesterday to drag them off to a papermaking workshop at the Botanic Gardens (in the Plant Craft Cottage), which I’d booked them into last week when Son #1 was in Perth and not around to object. They ended up having a great time, despite much eye rolling from a certain 13 year old young man, and this morning we have 21 pieces of homemade paper drying on the clothes airer by the fire.

After the papermaking thing we wandered into the city whereupon we witnessed a man juggling firesticks which perched on a ladder, and ate the world’s most expensive ice creams at Southgate. Home via the library and the Chinese takeaway. I love school holidays. This morning as I ignore them and blog in my pyjamas, I can hear them singing their new favourite song ‘Canadian Idiot’ (Don’t wanna be a beer-swilling hockey-nut … and something about pre-emptive strike) and plotting the sequel to their cinematic masterpiece. I just heard mention of crossbows and swords.

Think I’ll go knit another pear.

Edited due to objections. Lyrics to 'Canadian Idiot' here. It is, of course, sung to the tune of 'American Idiot'.

32 comments:

BabelBabe said...

yeah, sounds like it's best to just pretend you don't know what's going on.

I LOVE your pear, the shading is very nice. Clever girl.

Kim said...

Well you're nothing if not committed.

And I find it infinitely comforting that the Steiner Schooled boys still fashion weapons out of whatever they can find.

Our holidays begin this weekend as Chef begins a new job on Monday. Bring it on...

Ex-Shammickite said...

Canadian Idiot?
Beer-swilling hockey-nut???

I object!!!!

Suse said...

Don't blame me for the lyrics! Blame that Weird Al Yankovic.

Lyrics here.

My float said...

The mobile phone ring tone had me rolling on the floor. Must try that...

Donna said...

Ahaha, sounds like fun. Mine and her cousin have been spending hours making zombie movies with the video feature on my digital camera.

Stomper Girl said...

All boys are born knowing how to make a realistic gun shot noise. I think explosions, machine-gun fire and engines revving have also been pre-programmed.

I love the ring tone and the distracted director swinging from the tree. I bet Baz Luhrmann does that ALL THE TIME.

bluemountainsmary said...

Love the knitted fruit and the colour variations.

Loved the movie and the reflected images in the window.

Would have loved to have seen your man's face when the phone rang!

meggie said...

Those clever intelligent fruit!!

I take it 13 yr old is now savoury, having taken showers etc?

Oh did I love School hols! We did such fun things.

I was widely regarded as a freak, by friends, who also had kids.

shula said...

The ringtone thing is priceless.

Half our family did horror genre. It's a stage. My daughter's there, now. I have to confess, it's rather fun once you get into the swing of it.

Dedicated clothing is recommended.

Kim said...

Chef once recorded Oscar going "Mumma! Hello Mumma!" as my ringtone. It used to scare the bejesus out of people on the bus in the mornings.

The List Writer said...

I heard someone's homemade ringtone as I was walking down the street the other day - a very loud, high pitched, woman's voice screaming "ANSWER THE F***ING PHONE!"

I chortled madly and the man whose phone it was looked moritfied. Suspect it may have been a disgruntled girlfriend getting her own back.

The List Writer said...

mortified, not moritfied, obviously.

Though moritfied sounds good if you say it out loud - a cross between horrified and mortified which was exactly how this man looked!

Ex-Shammickite said...

Suse... thanks for the clarification, most of that is true, and my greatest ambition in the whole world is to have 10 minutes on a Zamboni!!
I haven't heard that song.... must get myself a life....

tut-tut said...

Now, can you knit up some cream to go with those strawberries . . .

Joke said...

I demand pictures of the paper.

-J.

Jodie said...

oh that ring tone - Mr 12 did that to me and it rang in the car. Very freaky- he was screaming his head off. Sounds like great holidays !

herhimnbryn said...

Are you not ever so slightly shattered at the end of your day?

The director swinging from the tree shows true artistic temperament if you ask me!

kt said...

Gaffer's tape!
Gaffer's tape!
Gaffer's tape!

My man, who once worked at the Old Globe in San Diego, ALWAYS extolls the virtues and superior qualities of gaffer's tape. Especially when some unwitting boob mentions duct tape....

Suse said...

Leading me to tell one of the two jokes I know.

Q. What do gaffertape and The Force have in common?

A. They each have a dark side, a light side and they hold the universe together.

ps. the wikipedia entry on duct tape/gaffertape is a cracker.

pps. 'Canadian Idiot' is of course sung to the tune of 'American Idiot', by Green Day.

fiona said...

id like to see a mouldy soft pear and maybe a black over ripe squisy banana, that shading for you!!

Dawn said...

That pear is to die for!

Martina said...

Being a Canadian 13 year old my son loves singing that song! When he was younger he aspired to be a Zamboni driver. No hockey for him! Just ice cleaning!

Isabelle said...

Oh, Mrs Soup, you write so well. I was fed up and now I'm feeling almost cheery. Thank you! It is a bit unfair that you can do all those other things as well, such as knitting, but I'll forgive you.

I Knit London said...

the fruits are excellent - they made my mouth water!
Gerard

Susan said...

Love your knitted things, wish I wasn't a cack-handed knitter. Really enjoyed the school holiday update. My parenting seems to be going pear-shaped at the moment (heh, sorry about that reference). One of the better ring tones I've heard (of) recently - I like the original ones.

fifi said...

whta absolutely gorgeous objects...I wish I could make those, but I can't knit.

That is the most scrumptious photo!

Elizabeth said...

Just catching up and boy I've missed a lot of food knitting over here.
I think bananas should be next - (the boys will use them as weapons in their movies) I used to wake up each morning when my son was young to the sounds of simulated explosions instead of gun shots sounds. We used to say, " S's awake. He's blowing things up again"
I haven't heard the song, I'll have to download it, as a patriotic duty and all.
And YES WE ARE THAT NICE :)

K said...

I do like the pear. I think your shading is very lifelike...

And I'm now remembering when my little brother (thoroughly peaceable boy that he is) used to improvise guns out of sticks or bits of Lego. It's definitely a boy thing.

woof nanny said...

Ooh...bookmarks. How do I buy some?

meli said...

oh those strawberries are amazing.

said...

the pear is lovely... and the strawberries look delicious!