1 September 2007

tipsy brain spill

dishcloth

Don’t have a thing to say except:

• I got the essay in and the taxes too but only after two nights that stretched into the wee small hours;
Tut-tut sent me a dishcloth just because! and isn’t it beautiful and isn’t she wonderfully generous?;
• Am knitting a scarf for Mr Soup for Fathers’ Day. Fathers’ Day is tomorrow. Looks like the scarf will be wrapped up still on the needles, and snatched back the minute he’s opened it;
• Popped into the yet-to-be-renovated Greensborough Plaza (can’t wait! A pet library! Knitting group! Wallpaper!) to get my watch fixed and favourite necklace clasp repaired;
• Nicked into an op shop during a spare ten minutes (was getting withdrawal symptoms) and scored a stack of books and an old lady bottle green, box pleated wool skirt, just below knee length. Wore it to work on Friday over a long straight brown wool skirt. Felt bohemian. Or something. Why do Marks and Spencers clothes feature a label saying St Michaels? This is one of the great mysteries of my life, along with understanding Facebook (why, why?), organised religion, Twitter (see Facebook), GM foods and maintaining tension while crocheting;
• I am going to be working for a few hours at the most beautiful shop in the southern hemisphere for the next couple of weeks and am greatly looking forward to fondling and sniffing the delicious yarns and hand-dyed felts;
• Started The Last Witchfinder a few days ago, left it in the car and couldn’t be bothered retrieving it on the one night this week that I managed to head to bed with a cup of tea and a good book at 8.30pm, so grabbed Running With Scissors from the op shop stack. Read a chapter, fell asleep. Do I persevere?
• My cooking obsession appears to be over. Completely. Can’t get interested;
• The Soup menfolk, along with a ring-in, have set off tonight to meet approximately five other blokes of varying ages to indulge in some male bonding at the first Melbourne Victory homegame of the season, leaving me and the dog all alone to get squiffy and watch Parky. Son #1 is wearing his fingerless gloves and everyone in the party under the age of 14 is sporting a Muscateers tattoo on their right cheek. Son #3’s slipped during the application process and his reads "Muscatee" before disappearing into the corner of his mouth. I asked him how the r and s tasted. ("Inky").
• The knitted Shrek sperm on Flickr has now been viewed 221 238 308! times, making it my Most Viewed Photograph, while the blog is receiving some dodgy visitors via Google searches far too icky to repeat here.

Seems I did have quite a bit to say.

Told you I was squiffy.

26 comments:

samantha said...

Pet library? please explain! I really enjoyed Running with Scissors, I too don't get the tension thing crochet and twitter, and facebook even though I have a page. quite enjoyed your squiffy post though :)!

Suse said...

Follow the link ;)

Kim said...

ABOUT TIME!
I've been waiting impatiently all week to hear what is going on in your world.
Persevere with Running with Scissors, it's fabulous.

shula said...

Squiffy...squiffy.

I can't stop saying it.

squiffy..

bec said...

And here was I thinking you mean 'tipsy' as a verb rather than an adjective.

Like, your brain was tipping over...

Sorry. My squiff.

(Saturday night shiraz: what's your excuse?)

Janet said...

oh sh*te, the taxes. You are so good. I'm not all surpised about the dodgy visitors.... maybe they'll get into knitting.

we say squiffy here too.

Oh, and knifepoint was from Shula. But I think lowpoint is very good too. Where one would find the market of stupidity, among other things. Gees I wish we had one of those lucy tartan type megaplexes round here. Why don't they exist, why?

more wine please.

MsCellania said...

I don't get what you don't get, either.
Haven't ever heard of squiffy, but may borrow it.
And that's how I got my name, by typing miscellania for a label...

meggie said...

Liked the squiffy post!

Di said...

You're going to be working where? If it's where I think it is then tell me when so I can come while you're there.
(I'm avoiding facebook completely despite several invitations)

shula said...

Um, what does squiffy actually mean?

squiffy....

squiffy....

still going, here...

herhimnbryn said...

Crocheting when squiffy can result in some alarming tension mistakes. My crochet efforts always look better when I am relaxed AND sober:)

Luverly brain spill Soup Lady.

bec said...

Pissed, Shula, it means pissed.

Possibly 'mildly pissed', but are there really any degrees of pissedness?

Stop saying it. I can hear you from here.

sooz said...

Knife point, low point, NO POINT!

I'm so caught up with reading your comments, I can't remember what it was in your post I was going to respond to. It certainly wasn't anything to do with sperm.

Oh yeah, wow, what a dishcloth!!

Taxes? Holy cow, forgot about those.

And father's day? D got one sock. Poor one legged man that he is...

Stomper Girl said...

I just joined facebook too in an effort to understand it, but unfortunately I am still none the wiser.

Lee said...

OK, now I get "squiffy" but who or what is "Parky?"

Thimbleanna said...

Haven't read Running with Scissors, but a friend of mine said she was in an airport when she finished it and she promptly threw it in the trash. She said it's the first book she's ever thrown away, feeling she just couldn't recommend it to anyone. Guess it's getting wildly different reviews.

Suse said...

Are my highlighted links (in the text) not showing up?

Di, the most beautiful shop in the world is, of course, Winterwood. Next two Wednesdays.

The pet library is explained if you follow the greensborough plaza link.

Squiffy means tipsy.

And of course Parky, is Michael Parkinson, Saturday night tradition in the whole of Britain and Australia!

HHB, the dodgy tensioned crochet was accomplished stone cold sober, sadly.

Susan said...

I am deeply envious of your work at THAT SHOP. I won't reveal how much money I spent when I visited there two years ago...

fiona said...

you lucky lucky lady, it truly is a little tiny store of happyness!!

susan said...

The son of one of the founders of M & S brought out the St Michaels label as a tribute to his Dad, the Michael as in Michael Marks of Marks and Spencer. Sez me after living in Scotland for 6 years and now drinking whisky to fight off an end of winter cold after not having a cold all winter. Squiffy is not an adequate description .

Di said...

Glad to hear you are keeping busy!! And I am still smiling about the knitted "sperm"!

nutmeg said...

That wash cloth is truly beautiful - you are a blessed lady! I alas have not started my face cloth but have now crocheted four whole granny squares and loving the finiteness (is that a word?) of each one - each is a fully formed object - and I like that! And I am glad to hear that true crochet professionals are finding the tension thing hard going - very fortifying and edifying for a beginner!

bluemountainsmary said...

Squiffy is just such a good word to describe that lovely fuzzy around the edges but not totally off your face degree of pissedness. I love winterwood - in fact it may have been a reference to it by you months and months ago that put me onto it - i have bought some of the most glorious hand dyed felt from there - not for a while though because I have completely lost my crafting mojo

Aunty Evil said...

Make that 239 viewings. I spat all over my screen, I didn't know what to expect....but it wasn't that!

Hahahaha!

String Bean said...

Finish Running with Scissors, but only for the sake of not leaving a book half-read. It's nothing to write home about.

I gave up on crochet.

Isabelle said...

Facebook - I'm not on it but my kids are and the reason for its existence, in my view, is for students to have a wonderful displacement activity while revising for exams. My medical student son was so keen to avoid doing any work that he set up a page for the neighbour's cat, and it acquired something like 64 friends before being shut down by the nasty people who run Facebook and who eliminate all users with the last name of Cat.