5 October 2007

Friday night book meme

knitted acorn bookmark

Pinched from Muppinstuff and Lazy Cow.

These are the top 106 books most often marked as "unread" by LibraryThing’s users. Here's how I shape up against them.

The books I've read are in bold,
the ones I started but couldn't/didn’t finish are in italics,
what I couldn’t stand has a strike through,
those I've read more than once have an asterisk*,
and those underlined are on my To Be Read list.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Anna Karenina
Crime and punishment
Catch-22
One hundred years of solitude
Wuthering Heights

The Silmarillion
Life of Pi
The name of the rose
Don Quixote
Moby Dick
Ulysses
Madame Bovary
The Odyssey*
Pride and Prejudice*
Jane Eyre

A Tale of Two Cities
The Brothers Karamazov
Guns, Germs, and Steel: the fates of human societies
War and Peace
Vanity Fair
The Time Traveller’s Wife
The Iliad* (in three different translations no less)

Emma
The Blind Assassin
The Kite Runner

Mrs Dalloway
Great Expectations
American Gods
A heartbreaking work of staggering genius
Atlas shrugged
Reading Lolita in Tehran: a memoir in books
Memoirs of a Geisha
Middlesex
Quicksilver
Wicked : the life and times of the wicked witch of the West
The Canterbury tales
The Historian : a novel
A portrait of the artist as a young man
Love in the time of cholera

Brave New World
The Fountainhead
Foucault’s pendulum
Middlemarch
Frankenstein
The Count of Monte Cristo
Dracula
A clockwork orange
Anansi boys
The once and future king
The grapes of wrath
The Poisonwood Bible*
1984

Angels & demons
The inferno
The Satanic Verses
Sense and Sensibility

The picture of Dorian Gray
Mansfield Park
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest

To the lighthouse
Tess of the D’Urbervilles*
Oliver Twist
Gulliver’s travels

Les misérables
The corrections
The amazing adventures of Kavalier and Clay
The curious incident of the dog in the night-time
Dune
The prince
The sound and the fury
Angela’s ashes
The god of small things

A people’s history of the United States : 1492-present
Cryptonomicon
Neverwhere
A confederacy of dunces
A short history of nearly everything
Dubliners*
The unbearable lightness of being
Beloved
Slaughterhouse-five
The Scarlet Letter
Eats, Shoots & Leaves
The Mists of Avalon*

Oryx and Crake
Collapse : how societies choose to fail or succeed
Cloud Atlas
The Confusion
Lolita
Persuasion
Northanger Abbey
The Catcher in the Rye*
On the Road

The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Freakonomics : a Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance*
The Aeneid
Watership Down*

Gravity’s Rainbow
The Hobbit*
In cold blood : a true account of a multiple murder and its consequences
White teeth
Treasure Island
David Copperfield
The Three Musketeers

So. I have no idea what that lot says about me, but it was an interesting exercise. There are many in that list I've not heard of.

Anyway this meme was timely as I have a bookish post floating about in my head. I’ve read some rippers lately and want to share. Will do soon.

And big excitement around here – Son #3’s reading has suddenly taken off and he’s just flying. Children in Steiner schools learn formal reading later than those in the mainstream education system, but they do a great deal of preliteracy work. And the beauty of the system is that when it all comes together they are so ready for it that there’s little of that awkward struggling sound-out-each-word-painfully-slowly phase that puts so many children off reading altogether. They just take off! (Well, our children did. YMMV).

I took these photos of my latest knitted sperm acorn bookmark in last week’s favourite, Tashi. I had to race to the library to get the Big Big Book of Tashi, followed by the Second Big Big Big Book of Tashi to meet demand. He positively gulped them down and is now onto book three of The Deltora Quest series, which Son #2 adored at a similar age and as such we own about a dozen of them all told. He’s inhaling them at such a rate that I’ve told him to give me plenty of warning when he’s halfway through one so I can order the next from the library if we don’t have it on our shelf already.

The other children are equally engrossed in books in series at the moment. Son #1 is loving John Marsden’s Tomorrow When the War Began series and Son #2 is on the second of the Saint of Dragons trilogy. It’s a beautiful thing to get up in the morning and be greeted by the sight of three boys lying silently side by side on the floor in front of the heater, turning pages.

knitted acorn bookmark

(Please tell me this one actually looks like an acorn, yes?)

21 comments:

BabelBabe said...

this one looks like an acorn : )

sueeeus said...

I love the colors of your sperm, I mean acorn.

It does look like an acorn, yes, and not like a sperm. :)

I enjoyed Confederacy of Dunces, and perhaps I'll just put my copy of Blind Assassin on the book sharing shelf at the office, and not feel guilty for not being able to even open the cover. The book attention span around here is about a page and a half, and that's only if there are 3 words or less per page! "Mat sat." That is the last page we read, and he was off to other things like building a fort out of his Bob books.

Three boys, turning pages. How idyllic.

shula said...

A spermy acorn.

Or maybe an acorny sperm.

It's hard to say.

Dawn said...

Yes it does and I think it's my favorite so far.

Beck said...

You know what? I really, really loved Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It was a LOT of fun!
It looks like an acorn. Not sperm.

Betsy said...

I couldn't finish "The Kite Runner" either..which stinks, cause I actually bought it since I heard that it was really good.
I like the acorn bookmark..

Jodie said...

yes, a definate acorn that one.
Well done you , on getting all those boys to be loveing reading - sometimes it can be so hard for them at the begiining that they can never develop a love of it - it is a chore forever.

Lazy cow said...

I'm so surprised you didn't enjoy The Blind Assassin, the only book on that list I've read twice.
I hate that schools push reading on kids so early. My theory is to just read, read, read TO them, and eventually they'll pick it up on their own. Which is what my daughter did. It will be interesting if the same thing happens to my son. I do NOT have the patience for baby readers, phonics, etc.

maymomvt (or Sarah) said...

My favorite book on your list is "The Poisonwood Bible." I am going to knit my Hubby an acorn for our upcoming anniversary as we still have the acorns he picked up when we were on the walk where he decided he was ready to "pop the question."

My daughter has also taken off on the reading this fall--her experience sounds the same. It suddenly went from not really reading to reading constantly.

N and I had a moment one evening when it was silent and we noticed that all 4 of us were engrossed in our books. We were very psyched.

I wonder if more Waldorf boys read for pleasure as they aren't pushed at an early age and may be developmentally more ready? Who knows.

h&b said...

Definately an acorn ;)

I've only read that Tashi character once - on a babysitting jaunt last year. Didn't like him and didn't get the appeal.

Apparently he's very popular though.

bec said...

They all look like acorns, darling, as long as you put your hand on your screen to block out the tails...

(I just tried it, it works).

I'm not so sure about

bluemountainsmary said...

Look I have to be honest - it looks waaaay more like an acorn but is saved from sperminess by the tassel at the end. Unless sperm have tassels?

I cannot wait until all three of mine are reading.

cannot wait.

two hippos said...

Fab acorn!

Paula said...

I love the acorn bookmark. Have to whip one of those up. We've been having a dialogue on my blog about acorn missile attacks. I liked Time Traveller's Wife a lot. It's probably time for me to read Tess of the D'Urbervilles again. You did well with that list. I have not seen on Library Thing.

You have a great blog! Very interesting.

cookie said...

We really enjoy reading your blog, especially as we are away from home at the moment and it reminds us of our home. We enjoy hearing about what you and your family are doing.
Only son wonders if son number 3 is about the same age as him (class 2)?

Stomper Girl said...

I see you gave up on Oryx and Crake eventually. I don't think I made it past chapter 2.

Yay for Son #3 and the 3 boys reading in the morning.

tamara said...

Oh, very wise to leave Oryx & Crake...I soldiered on 'till the very end and am still in recovery. (ie: i'm re-reading Pride and Prejudice constantly until I feel better)

...and that is much more like an acorn. Redeemed by a tassel.

sue said...

I always loved reading as a child, and still do although it is only normally craft books and knitting books nowadays. My son and daugther love to read too, and my son has the first series of the Deltora Quest books, the Harry Potter books, Eragon and Eldest, which he loved. I think he has even read some of them twice.

Jenny said...

Ahhhh! Not only have I found someone who has read Mists Of Avalon - but you have re-read it too!! Yea!

Vintage Blue Studio said...

I really like the acorn bookmark. You know, it would actually make a cute lariat if you did two acorns!

Diana

Paula said...

Your acorn bookmark would make a very nice pull "chain" for a ceiling fan or lamp.