6 December 2007

Getting into the swing of it

The mantlepiece is set.

Mum's cross stitch of St Nicholas is dug out, last year's trees positioned just so, and the Advent calendar in place.

mantle

Remember the angels? They're looking decidedly peaky after a year lying down in a darkened room box. Note to self: buy some Stiffy to perk them up.

angels in need of Stiffy

I like to add something new each year. This year it was three little Christmas gumnut gnomes.

christmas gnomes

Meanwhile over on top of the television cupboard nature table, the Advent Fairy has thankfully turned up with the stable. A little stone path might find its way tonight (still in the week of minerals), and next week some straw and a few more trees might appear (week of plants). The children love to see if anything has made an appearance overnight.

Oof, it's hot today. I went outside earlier to bring a load of washing off the clothesline and heard the familiar rustlethumpthumpthump as a kangaroo, who'd been lazing under a tree behind the clothesline, sprang to its feet and bounded away. Gave me quite a turn, it did. (Which I suspect was mutual).

16 comments:

bluemountainsmary said...

I'm enjoying with your kids watching your Advent evolve.

I suspect I may have shrieked if a kangaroo loped off like that !

nutmeg said...

That cross-stitch is wonderful - so too the gumnut babies all decked out in Cristmas colours.

I also loved the knitted Christmas Puddings (couple posts ago) - there MUST be a display place for them somewhere, surely?????

KnitOneQuiltTooKristin said...

The thought of a kangaroo behind the clothesline makes me giddy! I love the decorating too. The Santa is particularly wonderful.

blackbird said...

Are kangaroos about as big as me?

She sure is strange! said...

Yikes a kangaroo! In the yard!!! Wow! Love the xstitch Santa, the softie trees and the beautiful angels! I love the idea of doing a nature table type Advent. Our Christmas season is always so freaking busy(we have to get the house in tip-top shape for guests) that I don't ever get to do something fun like that.

I did, however, play your odd meme game, answers at my blog. That was an odd one!

Molly(in east Texas)

meggie said...

Thanks for sharing you little delights!
I do love that Cross stitch

Kris said...

Aren't mantlepieces great? Good flat surface, positioned so all can see but (in our house) too high for little hands to grabs and break. I set ours last night and htis morning Lucy came in and told me to take it all down because that's where she puts her flowers. Grinch!

I"m rather giddy at the thought of a kangaroo, too. Hot sun, washing on the line, a kangaroo in the yard - a very Aus. kind of a scene.

Fairlie said...

Getting Stiffy to perk up the angels?

I'm assuming this sounds perfectly acceptable to crafty people.

To us non-crafters it sounds a little lewd...

:)

herhimnbryn said...

The mantlepiece is the ONLY surface to get decorated here.

Kirti said...

I've been following your lovely dvent legacy! I have been coniving to get to Winterwood for some time now (won't have a car unitl January) and I may well get there sooner with friends. I ordered a gluttonous amount of stuff from Sandra yesterday which Ican't wait to get my hands on, and didn't eventhink to order a book! Now I'll HAVE to go there in person and it would lovely to meet you there Suse xxx

jorth said...

Yesterday was sticky and unpleasant. Eew.

Love the mantle!

shula said...

I thought you were going to say tiger snake.

Gave me a total flashback experience from years ago when I was bringing the washing in at home. The grass around the line used to be long.

K said...

I will now admit that I have recently learned to knit almost solely so that I can make gnomes.

We have no gumnuts in Scotland so I'll either have to use corks as in the original pattern, or improvise...

Your decorations are lovely. And I would love to see a kangaroo, though perhaps with slightly more warning.

Kim said...

I am deeply envious of your family's advent process. Can you remind me next year to ask you about it in November.

"Note to self: buy some Stiffy to perk them up." Sniggersniggersnigger. Do you think I could use that on my breasts?

Kim said...

I want to live somewhere where a kangaroo felt homely enough to lie under a tree near the clothesline. I wonder what they make of us humans and our clotheslines.

Victoria said...

I do so love that you have a kangaroo out there.