3 December 2007

notes from a Monday morning

• It's cool and damp here finally after a couple of hot, energy-sapping days.

• I worked until after midnight last night and emailed documents off to a certain QC who will not notice the time stamp, just so I could have today "free".

• Well, free to catch up on household chores before my working week begins tomorrow. But also free to potter, make bread (done), bake muffins (half done before the lure of a cup of tea and blog browsing proved too strong), tend to an unwell teenager whom I suspect just needed a day of peace and quiet, lie in my hammock with Falling Angels and knit.

• The Advent Fairy forgot to bring the stable last night. Son #3 raced to the lounge room first thing this morning and reported back, indignantly. That Advent Fairy, I swear she's as slack as the Tooth Fairy.

• I have 500g of free range pork fillets thawing in time for dinner tonight. I have no idea what to do with them as I only buy pork once a decade. I need a recipe by 3.00 pm. Go to it. I'm relying on you.

11 comments:

Zoe said...

I'm not sure what shape and size your pork is, but if they're about 1cm thick I would dredge them in flour spiked with herbs and salt and pepper, then fry them for around 3 minutes a side in melted butter with a bit of olive oil and lots of fresh sage. Then you can deglaze the pan with the juice of one or two whole lemons and another big knob of butter to make a sort of sauce. You could serve the pork with the sauce, egg pasta and maybe some sauteed fennel. (I'm a big fan of fennel.)

tut-tut said...

Zoe has the right idea . . .

eclair said...

If they are thicker than 1cm (preferably 2-3cm) then flash fry them to brown on both sides then lay on a baking dish, top with stuffing:

Fry a couple of chopped onions in plenty of butter.
Throw in a handful of any sort of fresh or dried herb, to taste
Salt and pepper
A few cups of breadcrumbs (I always have a couple of ends of the loaf in the breadbox, just throw in the blender and whizz!)

Mix all together, you can add squeeze of lemon juice, a whole grated apple, chopped celery, some nuts, whatever you fancy.

Bung a glass of wine into the baking dish if you think the pork might get dry.

Press on top of pork, stick in a hot oven for 20 minutes to finish cooking the pork and crisp up the breadcrumb topping.

Serve with whatever vegetables you can find in the fridge.

SadieandLance said...

Are they fillets like the thin long fillets or like fillet steaks? If they're the steaks then slice a Granny smith apple and place a piece on each fillet and then wrap with a piece of proscuitto, season and rub with olive oil and pan fry till the pork is cooked to your liking. Yumm with salad or vegies.

plum said...

I agree with zoe, but prefer to finish the sauce with Dijon mustard and a bit of sour cream. Very moreish!

Laura said...

My mom rubs tenderloins (which I think are the same as fillets) with grainy mustard and then smears them with herbs and bakes them.

I like to marinate them in an orange juice, garlic, and cumin marinade and then grill them...

She sure is strange! said...

I'm still stuck on the Advent Fairy. We always do it in the evenings and she must've forgot us as well. Darn it. She *will* make up for it tomorrow though.

Molly

Joke said...

Dammit! I'm too late!

-J.

Stacey (Sheeps Clothing) said...

I'm also with Zoe, but I'd deglaze with white wine (any excuse to open a bottle and have a glass whilst cooking).

bluemountainsmary said...

And I am going to buy pork tomorrow so I can make Zoe's recipe

Jodie said...

too late, just like the advent fairy - I am slack.