6 January 2008

an apple for Twelfth Night or, Seasonally Appropriate Craft

I can't think of a link between apples and Twelfth Night**, or apples and Epiphany.

But I needed a break from knitting strawberry bookmarks (a friend of Mum's wants to buy six and I am kind of over them). So, turning to one of the loopiest knitting books borrowed from the library in recent times, I present to you, the knitted apple cosy.

knitted apple cosy

Speaking of loopy, I borrowed this book initially because I Googled knitted+fried+egg+pattern only to discover that the fried egg pattern within the book is crocheted. As is the pattern for the pint of Guinness. (Last year I spent far more time than is fitting for a grown woman in researching how to knit a fried egg).*

Yep. Loopy.

Anyway, the apple cover. This little dear was a quick, fun knit and I can highly recommend it, once you ignore the pattern and knit it in the round on dpns rather than the straight needles called for, because there is nothing more tedious than sewing up one's knitting. Particularly sewing up something as daft as an apple cosy, or apple protector as Rachel Matthews calls it.

I might knit a matching green one and give them to the two little boys of a family we're seeing soon. They're a Steiner family, so they'll appreciate bizarre handmade things I'm sure.

And of course my own three now desperately want one each for their lunchboxes ... ahem.

Vital statistics:
Pattern: apple protector from Knitorama: 25 Great and Glam things to knit by Rachel Matthews
Yarn: 8 ply pure wool from Bendigo Woollen Mills (I lost the colour chart, so let's call it, um, Red)
Needles: 4mm dpns
Cast on, knitted and cast off in one afternoon.



* I think I have it though: cast on 20 stitches and knit a white square in garter. Cast on 10 stitches in yellow and knit a square in garter. Run a thread around each square and pull gently to round the edges, sew the yellow square on top of the white. I'll let you know how it goes. (I know you're dying to find out).

** Updated - thank you Jane and Diana!

Twelfth Night, by William Shakespeare

Act I, Scene V
MALVOLIO
Not yet old enough for a man, nor young enough for a boy;
as a squash is before 'tis a peascod, or a codling, when 'tis
almost an apple: 'tis with him e'en standing water, between boy
and man. He is very well-favoured, and he speaks very shrewishly;
one would think his mother's milk were scarce out of him.

--------

Twelfth Night is also the traditional day for wassailing apple trees. I was being seasonally appropriate without even knowing it.

23 comments:

M said...

EVERY Steiner child should have one of those for their lunchboxes! I think it's gorgeous.

Jodie said...

Super cute. A fried egg...hmmmmm

Anonymous said...

If you Google 'apple shakespeare twelfth night' you'll find a link... Am I being too literal?!

Jane (I always have a problem signing-in for some reason)

Martina said...

Can't wait to see the fried egg! You have a peculiar obsession with knitting food me thinks..

telfair said...

I love it -- how adorable. I've heard they're quite useful, too, for keeping your fruit intact and non-bruised. Being a pear lover, perhaps I should investigate a knitted pear holder...

tut-tut said...

I know someone who has knit a uterus for someone who was having hers removed. I believe pipe cleaners were used for the fallopian tubes . . . I wonder what other oddities have been translated into knitted form.

Elizabeth said...

Covers for pears are even more important than for apples. My two won't even take a pear to school because it ends up a bruised and mushy mess. And they like their apples cut up. With cheddar.
Yes they are teenagers.
So we have the Eat Your Fruit After School Programme that seems to be well-received.
But I digress,
the apple cosy is just too cute.

Badger said...

Why would you want to knit a fried egg when you can crochet a perfectly good one? Knitters! *shakes head in a puzzled and exasperated fashion*

Surfing Free said...

A little apple cosy - how divine!! My dad likes to put his apples in the fridge and eat them icy cold - I say his apples could do with little coats to keep them just a little bit warm before they meet their maker ;)

fifi said...

It reassures me greatly to know that somewhere in my world, a grown woman is crafting a knitted apple cover.
This in fact rather delights me, and the fact that she contemplates Shakespeare, Twelfth Night even, is a lovely thought.

Fabulous.



hey I might me going to melbourne next week, fingers crossed....

lucykate crafts... said...

i've stopped by after finding you through another blog, love the apple cosy!. i am (albeit loosly!) related to rachel matthews, she is my husbands, step fathers, neice (if you can follow that!) i live in hope that one day, i'll get to meet her : )

Paula said...

There are a number of knitted food patterns on this site. Including a fried egg and chips...
http://www.craftbits.com/viewCategory.do?categoryID=NED

Very cute apple cosy.
Here is another cute fruit cosy pattern.
http://susanbanderson.blogspot.com/2007/11/look-what-else-it-does.html


If you belong to Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/
you will find links to several food patterns.
Like a Piece O' Cherry Pie
http://pieknits.com/pattern.html

Valerie said...

I saw a book with a knitted fried egg pattern just this weekend. It's _Kids Can Knit_ by Carolyn Clewer. It sounds like you've got it taken care of, though.

Diana said...

The tradition of blessing apple trees on the twelfth night of christmas makes this a whimsical and topical knit!
Here's to thee old apple tree
Whence thou may'st bud
And whence thou may'st blow
And whence thou may'st bear apples enow;
Hats full and caps full
Bushels full and sacks full
And our pockets full too.

maymomvt (or Sarah) said...

We had a rockin' fun twelfth night. I like the wassailing apple trees idea, but I think my neighbors would surely think we're loopy. Maybe we'll just indulge in wassail. We were playing with fire too much to knit although all the women brought theirs.

Sarah Louise said...

our library has a high knitting patron population, (I only know this because they come across my desk at alarming rate--and the Dewey # is 7, well, okay, I don't know it by heart to write, but to see it, I do.) But I wonder if we have this book you linked. I may have to recommend it.

signed, a non-knitting librarian.

you crack me up. I figure it's always good when I laugh so hard that I end up coughing. And while I do not like pears ever at all, I can see how pear cosies would be a good idea for those who do.

Stacey (Sheeps Clothing) said...

Gorgeous apple cover. I've been trying out knitted covers for those yogurts that come in tubes. I usually freeze them and the boys say they make their hands cold. You've inspired me to keep going with it now.
I'm impressed that you knit at the beach. Now that's dedication!! I knit at the indoor pool and manage to end up wet and tangled most of the time (the wool, not me) so I don't think I'll even attempt the beach.

Stacey (Sheeps Clothing) said...

Tut Tut - A knitted uterus??

Jen said...

Now that apple cozy is just darling. And very practical, if your teeth are particularly sensitive to cold. :)

Jen

fiona said...

love the apple cosy Suse!still waiting for some mouldy fruit!one day maybe??

Victoria said...

I can absolutely see the point of that apple cosy. And you know all the other kids at school would want one in their lunchboxes if your kids had one (well, the younger kids anyway). And Oh how bad is the heat.

Molly said...

I totally agree with you about the value of an apple cozy. I made one too! (It's on my site under craft blog if you want to take a peek!)

Sarah said...

I was just googling 12th night crafts and this came up! I am looking for something new to do with the girls.