29 January 2008

cake, knitting, beaches. it's all good.

Well the kidlets return to school tomorrow to begin a new school year.

They're mostly excited to see their friends again and settle into new classrooms. In Son #2's case, it's a whole new school, and he is sooo excited to be going where his big brother is. (No, he's not at high school yet, he's in Class 6, but he got offered a place at the school and we couldn't be more thrilled. Son #3 will remain at the local primary school, in the Steiner stream, where he is doing brilliantly and has a fantastic class and teacher).

Speaking of the golden boy, (Son #2) he turned 12 the other day. How the heck did that happen?

He requested chocolate cake, of course.

cake2

It's been a good summer. We've had a couple of beach breaks, one blogged earlier with an appalling lack of detail, and the other just this past weekend, this time just me and my dear friend L and our five boy-children. By golly it was good.

The boys boogie boarded constantly and when they weren't in the water they were holding a three day Monopoly fest. L and I walked, swam, read books, I cast on a pair of socks for Son #3, and on the final day we went out for coffee without the children, who preferred Monopoly to the local cafe. Apart from a brief moment of panic when, upon returning to the house, we saw a plume of smoke coming around the bend and thought the house was on fire (it wasn't), it was an entirely restful and nourishing few days. (The smoke turned out to be a band of fastmoving, thick mist coming around the headland, but it looked like it was emanating from our house. I've never seen L move so fast as when she sprinted up that hill).

When I can locate my camera cable, I'll show you a picture of the view from the balcony. You might just weep.

What else? Heaps. I just haven't found the computer time to blog or download photos. I've got lots of books and knitting to report on, and also, a most generous gift to show. Very exciting.

I did manage to finish Mr Soup's scarf, finally.

scarf1

Pattern from here.

And now it's back to the clothesline. The worst bit about coming home.

wash4

23 comments:

blackbird said...

Maybe the worst bit to come home to, but lovely to photograph.

Happy belated to #2, his cake looks good enough to eat.

shula said...

Whatever is that beautiful yellow stuff you have hanging on the line?

Suse said...

A set of six mustardy-yellow linen napkins, found at the op shop a few months ago. They are in high rotation around here.

(Funny, I bought them thinking 'pity about the colour, oh well can always dye them', but now I adore the colour!)

Badger said...

Happy birthday to Son #2! My boy will be 12 in a couple of months and I have no idea how that happened, either. They grow when we aren't looking, I think.

BabelBabe said...

suse, just readng your blog is a tonic. better than valium.

happy belated bday to son number 2. cake looks delish. mmm, cake.

Dawn said...

I love the photos. I always love summer but enjoy the return to routine that back to school brings.

meggie said...

You make summer sound almost great...
Beaches are always great though! Beaches with boys, perfect.

Jodie said...

Sounds just delicious, the holiday and the cake too.

luv Abby said...

luv the scraf I made a similar shrug lsat year....
well done.
luv Abby

Anonymous said...

Suse - I've never commented before but I have to tell you I follow your blog - gives me peace. Thank you.

tut-tut said...

Great scarf. And I love those shadows on your line.

fiveandtwo said...

Excellent. All of it. And a happy birthday to Mister Number Two.

bluemountainsmary said...

Happy birthday to your boy.

The photo of washing on the line is so sunny and blowy and breezy it is like summer in a photo.

Wendy said...

All of your knitting is killing me. It's gorgeous. Must stay strong - restrict self to sewing. I will not buy yarn, I will not buy yarn...

sue said...

I hope your son had a great birthday. I am sure that children just suddenly turn an age where you go "oh my god where did the time go". I know my son just turned 14 and I still cant believe he is that old. I really like your hubby's scarf too, and the color is great.

kt said...

Happy Birthday Radius to the B-day boy!

And you get the gift--I hereby award you the "You Made My Day Award"--if you want to play, do! You can get the skinny on my blog.

Lazy cow said...

That scarf is knitted in my favourite colour. Just gorgeous.
Happy belated birthday to your boy.

Katy said...

I am requesting chocolate cake too, but no-one is listening to me!!!

KT said...

You have been awarded the "You make my day award" by me (yes another KT). Thank you, because you do make my day!

Surfing Free said...

I have nothing bad to say about our holidays either. Holidays are all I seem to remember from a lot of my years at school - so I hope I build nice memories for my girls.
Yummy looking cake :)

Zoe said...

That cake looks delicious. I love silver balls ... or whatever the correct cakey term is for them!

I have passed on to you a You Make My day award on my blog :)

Stomper Girl said...

Happy 12th birthday to your golden boy. Thank goodness they didn't set fire to the beach house.

peppermintpatcher said...

My naturally optimistic nature would have been certain that the house was on fire too!!

Happy birthday to your boy. Twelve is a pretty good age for a boy to be. I hope that he enjoys his last pre-teen year.