12 January 2008

linen leaf mobile

Quick, I need a happyshiny picture post to get that whinge off the front page, so to speak.

Inspired recently by this, (scroll right down) I dug through my stash of op shop linen clothes purchased specifically to cut up, and made ...

decoration

…these.

They are a gift for someone else, but I am so in love with them that I’m going to make us a set in the same teals and creams (with one or two leaves in chocolate brown felt) and hang them in the kitchen.

decoration closeup

The photos don’t demonstrate how beautifully they twirl in the breeze every time someone walks past. Quite magical.

Also, I believe I’ve found the answer to another question. I was so impressed with myself over the fabric-and-stitching Christmas cards, not to mention how seriously quick and easy it all was, that I searched my brain for a shape which could be stitched onto cardstock to create a stockpile of birthday cards for use throughout the year. Alas my pea-sized brain couldn’t come up with anything beyond circles (hard to cut successfully) and the birthday card project came to naught. And then I went to the beach. But now I have it!

Crikey that was a really longwinded boring way of saying I’m going to stitch linen leaf shapes onto thick paper and make a stash of birthday cards.

Sheesh.

12 comments:

shula said...

that's okay. we got there in the end.

tut-tut said...

What a great idea! did you back the leaves with fabric, or are they one layer?

Valerie said...

I'm impressed right along with you. I wonder if I have some linen in my scrap bin...

Katy said...

oooh, cute. Do you get a breeze with all the heat? We get a great big blowing gale, so I don't think they'd look quite as dainty in my kitchen :(

And your op shop sells linen clothes??? I have genuine polyester and nylon in mine - pure class

bluemountainsmary said...

That is a very lovely idea.

And one that could be adapted according to season/holiday etc.

fiveandtwo said...

Gosh, you are nothing short of brilliant!

jorth said...

They look fabulous!

Oh, and your 25 things... post made me laugh. A lot. In a very commiserating way, of course!

Carson said...

:)
what shula said
and I love the mobile

Kim said...

Oh, that leaf mobile... I like that. I like it A LOT.

hannah said...

I love your leaf mobiles, I want one, Im going to have to make one now.

Kathleen said...

I love those mobiles, is that what yu call them? Did you put starch in the fabric? Or did you just use fabic. I want to make a set of those. Thats a great idea for cards.

Suse said...

They're single layers of fabric, no starch. Just cut and stitched on the machine.