3 February 2008

making my day

candle

I took this picture of my cranberry scented candle and immediately decided that my blog needed to be duck egg blue and bloodplum red once again. So, gone is the pea green and I’m very happy to be back with my favourite colours.

I also took the picture because I find it hard to blog without a photo.

Anyway, we interrupt this week of dye-happy posts to do what everybody in the blogosphere has been doing this week, and bestow those You Make my Day awards. I was trying to avoid this, not because I’m ungrateful, but because deciding on a mere ten blogs that make my day, out of the huge number of blogs I read these days, is an impossible task.

However, I can avoid it no longer because some very lovely bloggers gave me a You Make my Day award. KT and kt, thank you! You made my day. And then, before I could respond, Shula, Ashley, Betty Bluebell, Daysgoby and Sooz all gave me one too. Now I’m embarrassed. And will quickly nominate my ten and shuffle away, blushing furiously. Thank you, all of you.

The instructions to this award say you must give the award to 10 people whose blogs bring you happiness and inspiration and make you feel happy about blogland.

makemydayaward

You all know many of my regulars, my little circle of ongoing conversations. I’ve linked to them at various times over the past few years, so here I introduce to you some other blogs I may not have mentioned before. They’re an eclectic bunch. And each of them makes my day when I read them.

Sue over at fiveandtwo is a regular read. An op shopper extraordinaire, mother of five, fabulous photographer and amazing craftswoman. She lives in a rural town a couple of hours away. I hope to meet her one day.

b i g and l i t t l e. Another fabulous photographer and mother of four. Hmmm, I’m sensing a theme here. Living close to nature, homeschooling and enjoying mothering a baby girl after three boys. I live vicariously here.

Lene at dances with wool is the most incredible knitter in the blogosphere in my opinion, and I read a lot of knitting blogs. She also lives in the arctic circle which makes her extremely far away and exotic.

Kris from garden variety lives in Tassie, juggles a career, two rather gorgeous daughters and a fabulous garden. She writes honest, thought provoking posts that make me nod along sagely, wishing I could articulate my thoughts in such an erudite manner. Heck, I wish I just had articulate thoughts most days.

Honeyflake is a new-to-me blog. Recently I branched out and found a whole lot of new blogs, many of which are on Typepad, lots of white space, American women, great photos and lots of crafts. Many of them seem to be called Erin. Or Eren. Most of them are gorgeous and make me want to switch to Typepad (but I’m a tightarse, I won’t pay). You all know them I’m sure. This one isn’t called Erin (I don’t think, as I said, I’m new there) but I like her style more than most. Pretty photos. (There’s that theme again).

Siri is my knitting guru. She churns out a pair of socks every couple of days, homeschools her two boys in remote Montana which looks so like my 1982 home in northern Idaho that it makes me homesick for a home I only had for a year, fills her blog with pictures of knitting and nature and I adore her. She doesn’t know me from a bar of soap. I worship from afar.

Carson at needle's edge. She’s Australian, a sensational knitter, beautiful photographer and she makes me laugh. She also puts George Michael songs in my head but I forgive her.

Victoria’s blog dear meagan will make you feel all homespun and warm and good inside. Another rural mother of five, Victoria makes quirky art and goes to the op shop. I think her husband’s a priest or something. She’ll correct me in the comments if I’ve stuffed up totally and offended. She’s really young so she thinks 1970s and 80s stuff is cool. She didn’t have to live through it. You’ll like her.

Liz from Quiet in the Stacks just makes me laugh out loud. A librarian with a husband and dog. Sounds hilarious right? Right. She has pretty hair too.

Melissa over at tiny happy (a blog I still occasionally confuse with Amy’s happythings because I am vague like that and look, I just gave you two for the price of one because happythings makes my day too) is a New Zealander just recently moved to Norway. She’s a marvellous craftswoman, has two littles and did I mention she lives in Norway? Norway! I’d like to have a cup of tea at her place and gaze out at the fjord. Yes, a fjord outside her window! Looks cold though.

And finally, a bonus for you. I’ve told you before to read firstperson thirdcat and really you should, you know. She doesn’t do beautiful photography very often but I like her nonetheless. She writes like an angel and she now has a beagle puppy. You should also go wish her Happy Birthday, because it will be in ten minutes time when I finally post this.

(God, I just re-read that and it sounds like thirdcat's photography is ghastly. It isn't. What I meant was she doesn't do any kind of photography very often. She writes). It's now past midnight here so she's officially 39. Go do your stuff, people.

(Whew, that took hours).

18 comments:

hazeljoy said...

thankyou for your list. i shall go and read them immediately! xx

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! I know I'm going to love these blogs, just as I love yours and so many others - and I already spend way too much time reading blogs...
Wonder how long I'll be able to resist!
Bella Nashe

Krista said...

Thanks so much for the mention! I'm feeling priviledged :) Does this mean I've got the go-ahead to join in on the Makes My Day award giving...? Woohooot! I love your list... Knitting Iris is a huge favorite of mine as well!

Ashley said...

Thanks for letting me know about the food coloring/kool-aid mixup. I have corrected it on my blog post, thanks again! :)

blackbird said...

It's a good thing it's quiet over here - I've got a lot of reading to do as I don't know ANY of these lovely reads...

meggie said...

Too few hours in the day!
Congrats on your awards.

Carson said...

You write girl, you most definately write :)
I am so with you on Scandinavian exotica: I love dancingwithwool and the thought of that fjord? Be still my beating heart!
As for the award, well, nor* ...thank you! I must say I'm extra chuffed you slaved away for hours on your list (I have a feeling I may be in for a similar experience responding to this).

* involuntary sound brought on by something nice for eg: basketfuls of puppies.

ps: very sorry 'bout the GM virus ;) it's quite contagious

shula said...

I think,

that duck-egg blue and blood plum,

as a colour,

is pretty hard to beat.

peppermintpatcher said...

I'm going to find some duck egg and blood plum fabric right away. Just gorgeous!

nutmeg said...

Ahhh. All is right with the world (even while I've been away from this neck of the woods for a short time) as I see you're continuing to inspire and be inspired in turn. Many of your mentioned blogs are new to me (except Garden Variety which I soooo agree is very inspiring) and presents me with my age old conundrum (sp? a bit too lazy to check right now) - too many EXCELLENT blogs and too little time!

ThirdCat said...

I wish I'd known I would be having all those extra visitors today. I would've cleaned up a bit. And had a bit of cake on hand. Luckily, there has been enough sparkling burgundy to go around.

Angel. That's lovely. Thanks. Really.

kawaii crafter said...

I just wanted to say I enjoyed scrolling through your blog. The "holes in sock" picture had me LOL.

jessica

Victoria said...

Heh, it's awesome being rural and married to a priest (a priest would make a peaceful husband, anyway). I promise I even like macrame and I'd wear a macrame jacket if I found one at the opshop.
I must come back and check out the blogs I don't know on this list later, especially all those people called Erin, I'm intrigued.

Melissa said...

thank you for the mention! i'm honoured. you can come and have a cup of tea with me anyday.

elena jane said...

i keep trying and it just isn't right....but yours? perfect colours!!! :)

Liz said...

Thank you, Suse! That made me feel really good.

Pretty hair? Check back in a few days after I use that jumbo hair weaver...

Liz said...

p.s. I agree with you on the blue and red... looks great.

Di said...

Some lovely links. Just need you edit your post to add me to the long list of people whose day you make :)