22 February 2008

rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb with bonus update

sunrise with mist wisps

[Insert text totally unrelated to sunrise shot]. So. This morning I went to an unfamiliar salon and asked for a haircut. The woman was a tad more goth-like than I am generally comfortable with when it comes to people with whom I’m trusting aspects of my appearance. And when she used the words "lovely" and "silver" in the same sentence when referring to my hair I thought hmmm, doesn’t augur well. She then tried to make up lost ground by declaring me to be surely not old enough to have a baby, and when I mentioned that said baby recently turned fourteen, she dropped the scissors on the floor. It was at this point I noticed her hands had a distinct tremble.

Again with the not auguring well, etc.

But! It’s actually a great cut. Of course I may take that back tomorrow when I’m wrestling with the hairdryer and trying to style it myself. I’ll let you know.

Later in the afternoon I removed all yesterday’s newly purchased op shop yarn from the freezer (24 hours in the freezer kills any moths, apparently). I took a photo of the youngest child’s new gap-toothed smile. I collected some undyed sock yarn from the post office. I shrieked at a huntsman on the kitchen window.

I tell you it’s all go around here.

Look. I finally found the glass butter dish I’ve been searching for in op shops for two years now. I knew it would turn up one day. Isn’t it beautiful?

butterdish1

In other news, I’ve been very domestic lately on my days off.

bread rolls

Bread rolls, and nectarine chutney …

chutney

… there is nectarine jam too, unphotographed as yet.

pears

Pears from a friend’s tree. Some eaten fresh, others became pear and ginger crumble.

green mitts

And man-sized green fingerless mitts from my hand dyed green yarn. That’s my hand up there, valiantly trying to appear bigger than it is in order to show off the lovely 5 x 1 rib pattern. I had no male model handy. Hahaha. Shut up.

That’s your lot for today. You know I’m spouting all this trivia to break up the dye-obsessive posts, don’t you?

Sueeeus arrives on Monday! (Cue lots of dusting and de-moulding the shower tiles this weekend).

Saturday update: a) the haircut is not quite as spectacular today and b) this morning I cleaned the shower tiles so vigorously that three of them fell off the wall. Oh yeah it's real pretty now.

20 comments:

bluemountainsmary said...

I have my fingers crossed that Sueeess might get up to the mountains during her visit.

And I really love that butter dish.

CurlyPops said...

How bizzare...we have both posted photos of our new butter dishes today!

maymomvt (or Sarah) said...

I have a confession to make--I have been trying to figure out what "op shop" means for a long time now. I knew it was a thrift store, but... Well yesterday, as I was walking by the Washington Cathedral, I saw a little sign "St. Andrews Opportunity Shop." You learn something every day :)

tut-tut said...

It all looks lovley! and green . . .

shula said...

I'm thinking of writing to Sueeeus and warning her about your...er...colouring tendencies.

Nice tip about the freezer. Didn't know that one.

Danielle said...

I'm heading down to your place for the rolls and the chutney. And the sun. :-)

blackbird said...

I hope you have a minute or two while Sueeeus is there to fill us in as I, for one, will be living vicariously through her visit.

K said...

The nectarine chutney looks delicious. We've been vaguely thinking about making chutney lately... would you post the recipe?

I did the shower de-moulding last week before the parents-in-law came to stay, but haven't produced anything so impressive otherwise!

Poppy & Mei said...

Mmmmmmmmmm, I just love it here...Xxx

Jodie said...

Dear MS Pea soup - is there by chance a way to purchase one of your apple jackets / cosies?
and I love that green on the fingerless mittens - its such perfect.

Stomper Girl said...

*looks at picture of divine knitted-up hand-dyed yarn*

*rolls around wantonly*

saha said...

the butter dish is lovely!
and your jam looks divine.

MsCellania said...

How long has it been since you've seen each other? You guys are gonna have fun!

Kris said...

That chutney is a great colour. It's a little thing, but mine are always dark (no, not burnt, I swear it) but yours is lovely.

daysgoby said...

Were YOU on the kitchen window, or was he?

Because either way it's quite the picture.

How long have you had a problem with hunting men peering in your windows? Was it since you started making jam?

samantha said...

I'm sure I had a really good comment to write, but then I read daysgoby above, and it made me laugh out loud! Oh those hunting men peering in windows give me the creeps too.

lovely butter dish. have been searching for a green depression glass one for a few years now, but still no luck. one day....

samantha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah and Jack said...

Mmmm, nectarine chutney sounds delish.

elena jane said...

i have a butter dish like that (or my mother did, it's at my dad's house in their china closet, things get broke in my house far too often).....

those rolls look delish....

Victoria said...

CONGRATULATIONS on the butter dish.