27 April 2008

Corners of My Home, by the nine year old

corner of the dining room, by Son #3

That corners of my home flickr group is still going, I see.

I found this on the camera today. Son #3 took it. I liked the light, and the wonkiness.

This is a corner of the dining room which currently is not used for dining, as the table is covered in skeins of yarn. Whoops.

The glass vase you can see was from an op shop many years ago, and the gum leaves within it (Red Box), now dead artistically dried, are from the garden. You can see a little silver milk jug, which is part of the silver tea set that the mister bought me for my 30th birthday many moons ago. I love it, but had no idea how much work it is to keep silver clean. No wonder those old houses full of silver had butlers.

The print on the wall, hidden by the eucalyptus branches, is one I bought for the mister for Christmas a few years ago. It's quite dark, and depicts a scene in a house, looking down from a kind of mezzanine level to a room below that's lined with bookshelves. In the centre of the room stands a man, holding an artist's palette and gazing at an easel. The audience can't see what's on the easel. In front of the artist, but with her back to the viewer, is a seated nude who is so white she glows in the darkened room. The figures are almost cartoonish in the way they are elegantly elongated. I have no idea who painted the original; it just took my fancy one day and the mister is always saying we should have more artwork on the walls.

You may also be able to see a black key hanging on the wall above the cupboard. (See it closer here). It does not open anything in this house.

The cupboard itself is art deco style, but probably not actually art deco. It used to belong in the flat upstairs when Mr Soup and I lived in that now groovy suburb. When our beloved neighbours moved out they got rid of a lot of furniture and we scored this. I also have their old velvet-upholstered chaise (although I had to buy that one). The cupboard is our Artwork Cupboard, which means it holds all the children's paints, pencils, paper, craft supplies, origami paper, um what else, tiny little scraps of very important crappe that I mustn't throw out, glue, scissors, and a whole heap of junk. Every six months or so I clear it out and make it tidy but within two weeks it's so messy again that you can't open the door without things spewing out. I think they must like it that way.

That white mark on the wall to the right of the cupboard is where a bit of mud fell off the mudbrick wall and had to be shoved back up and spackfilled.

Yeah, not a great colour match. We are such good DIY-ers.

12 comments:

becandcall said...

Sounds like a perfect corner of one's home, to me.

Pics of kids hats to come, soon, I P.R.O.M.I.S.E.

blackbird said...

I used to spend far too much time going through the corners of my home flickr set - I love it all. I had forgotten it was there and now have an excuse to sit and stare on a rainy sunday.

It's nice to see a nine year old's view...

Badger said...

I like it.

My girl child's ENTIRE BEDROOM serves the same purpose as your Artwork Cupboard. Ye gads.

Eleanor said...

I just knew that you'd have dried gumleaves in your house. I love dried gumleaves. I will take a picture of mine soon to show you.

bluemountainsmary said...

I loved it on Flickr and love it even more now I have these words.

katiecrackernuts said...

So many small stories to make a whole.

MsCellania said...

Love peeking at the corners. And hearing what is what.

h&b said...

I love that flickr group, and I love your story 'behind the corner'

Your silver looks shiner and more cleaned than my black stuff....

Victoria said...

I love that photo and always enjoy it when you post photos of your home. It's so so good. I'd love to live in a mudbrick (or all timber inside) house one day. Isn't it amazing how many stories can come from that one little corner!

fifi said...

most of my house used to be the artwork corner but everybody rather nastily chased it all into one room. pfft!


You have a lovely place, like my cousin's place I used to hang out in up the Blue Mountains.

zoesquid said...

OMG dont you just hate the crap they wont let you throw out. My whole house is being overtaken by it. Im considering a "crap room" in the future extention plans!! Happy rainy Thursday :)

Sherrin said...

Your house looks lovely! I love mudbrick houses... I grew up in one. :o)