15 June 2008

like, totally random, with wine

outtake from when they were babes

That is a photo of a photo (I don't have a scanner. Oh! Actually yes I do! The printer broke recently [see previous whinge post] and the replacement is one of those all in one printer-copier-scanner jobbies, but it's still in the box so it doesn't count). It's not even a good photo, but it's my babes, so there you go. Aren't they beautiful? We make pretty ones, the mister and I.

I can post this because they don't look like that any more because it was taken nine years ago. It's an out-take from a photo session we were doing in the backyard one Christmas Eve trying to get The Perfect Family Shot. They look hot, don't they? And grumpy. It was about 40 degrees, from memory.

Why I'm showing you an out-take, I have no idea. Probably cos the one decent shot (out of the 753 I took that day, trying to get three small children to all open their eyes and smile and sit still at the same time) is in a frame at my parents' house.

Moving on ...

I finished up my week of all weeks with some terribly social outings. It never rains but it pours. There was a violin concert on Thursday night, featuring the blonde curly bonced one up there.

Friday night saw a lovely lovely dinner with some lovely lovely women. BlueMountainsMary was in town, and as I had to work while she was out gallivanting with the other Melbourne bloggers, we arranged a post-work drink, with Shula too. Blogging is a wondrous thing, no? You meet someone you've never actually 'met' before yet you feel like old friends. Which of course you are; I'm not being very eloquent am I? As Shula and I were chatting, Mary opened the door to the cafe and it was instant recognition. As Mary said, all the filtering has been done and the small talk can be dispensed with. Anyway, I haven't met an axe murderer yet. I love youse all.

And I had the best, butteriest melt in your mouth gnocchi with pumpkin and basil I've had in my life.

On Saturday we had friends over for lunch which means the house finally got cleaned. Mr Soup made a delicious concoction in the crockpot which had cooked all night long, I made sticky toffee pudding for dessert and we had a fine old time sitting by the fire, chatting and inhaling the scent of newborn babe. Little Lulu arrived wearing this and a pair of these which made my heart skip a little skip of joy, not to mention relief that they fit. Son #3 was particularly enamoured with the baby (who is quite divine, good natured and in possession of a remarkable set of eyelashes courtesy of her Spanish father) and announced that he would quite like one too thank you very much.

Saturday night featured a fabulous party with great company and food to die for, to help a friend celebrate official middle age. I don't usually like parties (the what-to-wear and the you-have-to-mingle and talk to people, y'know?) but it was great fun and I didn't spill anything down my dress or drool, and I successfully completed a game of Spot the Partner.

This morning saw a soccer match each for the youngest (6-0) and middle child (1-0) and a spot of busking for the eldest ($$$).

And now I'm pooped.

This week had better be quieter.

In reading terms, I made a start on the big pile that's been languishing by my bed for the past few weeks. I picked up Allegra Goodman's Intuition which I'd had to abandon when life went crazy. I had been about a third of the way through but I can't get back into it. I'm sick of the lab, the mice, the postdocs with their lovers' tantrums. It went back to the library this morning, unfinished. Next in the pile is Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos which I picked up at the library the other day when I was looking for a new audio book but purposely avoiding the print books until my essays and crazydays life was over, and accidentally fell over the large print aisle. BabelBabe recommended this one and she never fails me (well, except for Intuition) so I picked it up. (Reading large print books is odd though; makes me feel like I'm being shouted at).

Audio book-wise, I just finished listening to Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith which was totally inoffensive and passed the time nicely. The narrator has a beautiful soft Scottish burr (Edinburgh maybe? Quite unlike the Glaswegian tones of Mr Soup's late parents), and the story features a niece who runs a delicatessen. Where I am I going with this, you're wondering? Well, there was a great deal of cheese discussion and I kept waiting for her to say gorgonzola but she didn't. Camembert, reggio, parmesan, brie, but no gorgonzola and now I have a quite irrational and allconsuming desire to hear someone with a strong Scottish accent say it. Isabelle? (I even asked Mr Soup to say it like your mum would, but it came out like a growly drunken soccer fan which was not the effect I was after. It was useless to say, pretend you're a woman, and you're from Edinburgh and you're genteel. He was already looking at me very oddly).

I can't remember what I listened to prior to FLC, but I gave it a B+. When I remember I'll come back and update. [Update: It was Unless by Carol Shields. Excellent stuff.] Next up is The Return of the Native which I grabbed because I'm striving to improve myself by reading all the classics Alan Rickman is the narrator so I can close my eyes and pretend Snape is in the car with me. Obviously I'll open my eyes when I need to overtake, or negotiate corners.

Here's a badly lit photo of a quince for you to look at. It smells divine so I had to include it. It went in the crockpot with five others just like it last Tuesday and was served with ice cream on Wednesday and Thursday.

quince with chicken bowl

Ok, my wine is quaffed, the kettle is on the boil and I'm about to take to my bed with a cuppa and a new book (Ithe shouty one).

Remember, "gorgonzola" with a Scottish accent please. I'm counting on you.

21 comments:

h&b said...

I think that might be -the- most divine bebes shot evah.

And what, no Mr Shooshie ?

shula said...

Was a good gnocchi, wasn't it?

Leah said...

No idea on the gorgonzola, but your blondies are beautiful, and quinces are a great idea.

Badger said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous boys.

I love a good Glaswegian accent. Especially if it's coming from betwixt the lips of a hottie like, say, Gerard Butler.

And I've never been much of one for audio books but it never occurred to me that Alan Rickman might narrate one. Ye gads! You've opened up whole new worlds to me, woman. My life may never be the same.

sueeeus said...

Ohh, Alan Rickman can narrate anything, ANYTHING, any TIME!! oh yummy distraction of distractions. Now I'm all distracted... er... so I was going to say.. ....wish I could transport myself over to your hemisphere to help share the load of your busy times, rather than endure my own! Counting down the days until the OPC leave. I know. I'm awful. But parties and snuggling of gorgeous babes with long lashes wearing delightful booties and caps and listening proudly to your curly bonced boy in the dawn of his musical genius, and seeing the non-axe murdering blogging contingent is so much more appealing. Plus... YOUR children are so much more civilized...

I'm still awful. Make me stop.

alice c said...

I am SO jay-louse of you ...meeting all those uber-cool blogging ladies. Why do you all live such a long way away? Sigh...

tut-tut said...

What lovely boys!

Coincidentally, I bought a copy of Allegra Goodman's Intuition on Friday; I had only sort of remembered Kaatskill Falls, which I haven't read. But unlike you, I cannot put Intuition down! and I'm looking forward to more of her novels.

Happy Father's Day, which it is here, but it's probably tomorrow there . . .

daysgoby said...

So THAT'S what you do with quince?

I have a quince bush - last year it gave me a few lonely little ones but I've given it a strict talking-to and it promised to yield more this summer - and now I don't know what to do with the fruit.

Do you eat it plain?

herhimnbryn said...

GoRRRRRRRRgonZoooooola.

blackbird said...

- am trying to do gorgonzola with a Scottish accent but I keep sounding like John Cleese which IS funny but not the same.

katiecrackernuts said...

That ALL sounds so fantastic. I want a weekend like that. OK. The crockpot recipes. We have one and have whipped up two OK meals using McCormack's pre-prepared crockpot mixes, but anything we've tried independent of them have been kinda yucky. What magic are you creating. You have to share the recipes. You JUST HAVE TO.

Stomper Girl said...

Great shot of your babes. I do that photo of a photo thing, it works quite well as long as you get the flash bounce away from the middle. Could you make do with some Wallace and Grommit, I know it's not Scottish but he does say Gorgonszola very nicely, as does he Wensleydale.

I agree about the large print thing too, but you verbalised it so well! I felt uncomfortable but YES!! It is like being shouted at. Much like when Fixit was new to mobile phones and did all his texting in capital letters.

Frogdancer said...

Gee. Maybe we should all blog while quaffing. I enjoyed the randomness...

K said...

I am now muttering "gorgonzola, gorgonzola" to myself as I read. Also trying to imagine Isabelle saying it, since I have the advantage of knowing what she sounds like. (I'm told she and I sound pretty much identical, but one's voice never sounds the same when heard from outside, does it?)

We don't roll our 'r's, although we do pronounce them. Does that help?

meggie said...

Nice plump & generous post!!
Can't do the accent, but no doubt the Scot ancestors could.
Your sons are achingly gorgeous...

Kirsty said...

The photo of your now not so smalls is really gorgeous.

I like a post under the influence.

Rose said...

Beautiful children; they do grow fast don't they?
I couldn't get into "Intuition" either, not sure why. And I can't read large print books; just too weird on the eyes.

Victoria said...

I like reading about your latest adventures!!
The photo of the photo is just gorgeous. Truly deeply gorgeous.
p.s. My kids would love to meet an adult who enjoys eating dry Nutri grain as much as they do.

Molly said...

Such beautiful boys.....and I'm with you on the "shoutiness" of large print books. Was looking for Patron Saint of Liars, which you spoke of recently in glowing terms, but no luck. Came away with another by her---"Run."
Just read Isabelle's latest---that was so much fun---thank you for instigating it!

woof nanny said...

Absolutely gorgeous children! And I love that whimsical plate.

Juno said...

I've got a friend coming to stay next week who is originally from the Western Isles. Now I'm going to have to make hims say Gorgonzola.