30 July 2008

Festival of Feather and Fan

the fish's scarf

I hadn't knit the feather and fan stitch for years. Associating its old fashioned pattern with all the baby matinée jackets (please note new accent skills thanks to Pav) that we received from various great aunts when first with child, I hadn't given it much thought for grown up garments.

the fish's scarf

But when a certain fish commissioned a scarf from my 'Ocean Jewels' hand dyed mohair wool yarn, I knew the gentle undulating waves of the feather and fan stitch would be perfect.

the fish's scarf

Fit for a mermaid.

I hope she likes it.

That final shot is post blocking, while the first two were taken before it was blocked. I wanted to have evidence of the difference it made, and I do think it's helped define the stitch pattern, despite what was a very gentle blocking. The fish can manipulate the width and laciness to her heart's content the first time she washes it if she is after a more open, lacier effect.

Then because I was on a roll, I whipped up a traditional feather and fan baby hat, in non-traditional lavender blue.

Just because.

feather and fan baby hat

The pattern is from an ancient, fragile black and white Paton's pattern I found in the op shop, but if you're keen to make one yourself there are similar patterns here and here.

feather and fan baby hat

17 comments:

Philippa said...

How could any fish not just love that scarf. Colour and texture are just devine!

Janet said...

love the feathers and fans. The colours in the fish scarf have knit up a treat and am amazed that you can just whip up that baby hat. Truly!

M said...

I love knitting feather and fan, like the waves it is a relaxing undulating sort of stitch.

kim at allconsuming said...

OH MY - those colours. I'm swooning.

And that bonnet is adorable.

String Bean said...

The scarf is gorgeous! Actually, I'm kind of speechless because I've never seen feather and fan look that good.

bluemountainsmary said...

I think this is just what Miss Fish needs right now - a beautiful scarf knitted by you.

tut-tut said...

beautiful; I'll have to become conversant with feather and fan.

katiecrackernuts said...

New woman. Old knitting. I love it.

sooz said...

OK ignore my question over on flickr. Must read blog first in future. Gorgeous scarf!!

Stacey said...

An oldie but a goodie! I do love the pattern with the beautiful yarn. It looks just lovely.

alice c said...

I am not sure that I can totally relate to the phrase 'I whippped up a bonnet...just because'
Craft projects for me involve blood, sweat and tears. AND they don't turn out quite so fabulous as that hat or scarf.

fifi said...

oh. my.


it's MINE!!!

can it be true?


squealing with lust and love I wish it on myself immediately,


that is beyond my wildest imaginings...it has WAVES?

pretty. so lovely, and if I could shrink my head I would wear that bonnet with it.

Can't wait!!

fifi said...

ha ha ha

*mine mine mine*

yippee hurrah hooray

TLCknits said...

Love all the color...

elena jane said...

brilliant colours...and i am so not a fan of blue...
and one post back, great new hair and glasses...:)

Ravenhill said...

The knitting is this post is so beautiful. The feather and fan in the scarf is delightful in the texture of the yarn- it softens the fans in a sublime way.
~Emily

meggie said...

Oooh lucsious!

It is nice to see Fifi gloating over it!