6 July 2008

a plethora of pinks

A new yarn in the shop! Sock yarn this time. Strawberry Fields.

Strawberry Fields

I've been fitting in a bit of dyeing this week during the school holidays, in between the care and feeding of three children, working here and there, disappearing to the coast for a couple of days, more gardening with rabbit-proof fencing and inedible grasses, voracious Sudokoing and reading:

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. Good yarn (haha) and I was quite moved at the end, but oh the main character annoyed the hell out of me. I don't care if she was rebelling against her posh mother, no naice gel from Double Bay "sucks on a tinnie of beer" or says "rozzers". Rozzers??! It just didn't ring true. And it makes me cringe, all that "matey" business.

In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant. To get me in the mood for August (for a Renaissance Venice subject next semester, not my next career move). Narrated by the dwarf servant, set in Venice. Colourful. I do like me a decent historical novel. Although I did turn away from a luridly covered paperback at the op shop yesterday interestingly called An Autobiography of Henry VIII with Notes by his Fool Will Somers. So you see I am fussy. (If you google that and end up at Amazon, I can tell you the cover on the edition I picked up [and put back] in horror was far far worse).

An Equal Music by Vikram Seth. It leapt out at me from the For Sale pile at the library - I couldn't quite believe that such a book was on the shelves of the withdrawn, and for $1. Such an author, and the book itself is a hardback with a glorious cover featuring a painting by Il Padovino titled Orpheus Leading Eurydice out of the Underworld. I thought Orpheus played a lute, but in this painting he has a violin strapped across his back. Beautiful anyway. And we have the cd of the music so I can listen to it each evening when I'm reading. Music, love, obsession. Started yesterday, unputdownable. Yes that's a word, shut up.

I've also been knitting something for me for a change. I've knitted fingerless gloves for everybody else in my life (real and virtual) and now it's my turn. I saw this deliciously soft silky aran weight yarn in Lincraft the other day; it's 70% wool and 30% soybean, and is called Prism. Quite lovely to knit with, albeit a little splitty as it's single ply with very little twist. Truly glorious colourways.

wristwarmers wip

They were supposed to be the Fetching which I've knitted twice before, but I was on the coast and knitting from memory. My memory failed me and I completely forgot to do the cabling at the wrist. I remembered the second band of cabling just before the picot cast off though, so all was not lost. That photo was taken yesterday - I wore them today at Son #2's soccer match. Love me a quick knit.

Anyway, the point of this post wasn't knitting or boring you with my current reading, but to let you know that more yarns have been dyed so you know, when I've wound them, photographed them, uploaded them, put them on etsy, been thrashed at Scrabulous and done a load or three of laundry, they'll go in the shop too.

Just for you.

24 comments:

Janet said...

oh I long to read something umputdownable... it's been a while

BabelBabe said...

go get the Sandra Gullands I told you about - her newest is wonderful.
and i am off to request Equal Music.

and i have been wanting to ask this: but didn't want to sound like an idiot: why are they called colourways?

Joke said...

The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt, if you're in a Venetian frame of mind.

-J.

Rose said...

I love the Fetching mitts, but I modify them too; I add length and an extra section of cabling at the hand as well. So frame your "mistake" as a "modification", right?

Thimbleina said...

I love the wool you have knitted the gloves with and that you have dyed

peppermintpatcher said...

Soybean! Who knew you could knit with that! Nice work on the quick knit.

Highwaycottage said...

I'm a fan of Saran Dunant too, I'll have to keep my eye out for this one. I enjoyed Vikram Seth too. I love getting good books on sale on the withdrawn table :-)

Being a novice knitter I can't do fingerless gloves yet, but I can sew, so I'm making shoe leather babay shoes in exchange for some fingerless gloves :-) I love the yarn you are using.

Stomper Girl said...

For a change, I've actually read two of the three books mentioned (the Venetian one and the Vikram Seth) and I enjoyed both. One of these days I'll photograph the wrist warmers I knitted via your instructions too, they keep me fingies warm quite nicely while I blog in the cold, cold computer room.

Anonymous said...

I just need to know one thing....are you and Mr Soup speaking again yet???

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Isn't it nice to knit something for yourself once in awhile! And thanks for the book suggestions! We shall check them out.

Stacey said...

Each Geraldine Brooks book leaves me liking her a little less.
I loved Year of Wonder, liked March and thought People of the Book was so so. On that score, I might just skip her next one.
Love the pink wool.

louise said...

I simply couldn't read People of the Book...I don't know ANYONE who speaks such quaint Strine. Also loved An Equal Music and I think you should look out for The Golden Gate by Vikram Seth...a wonderful book. The latest Margaret Drabble, The Sea Lady, is also very enjoyable.

meggie said...

My goodness! Who knew, that soybean could be knitted, as well as eaten, drunk, burnt, & used for perfume??? A very versatile substance, & now we need to invent a way to burn it in cars, & we have conquered the world!!

Rose said...

Thanks for the suggestion on the flower hat; I'll take a look. I hate sewing small pieces, so I'm sure I'll prefer your pattern. Thanks again!

Rose said...

Love your purple flower hat; I'd love the pattern. Thanks!

Sarah said...

that colorway is scrumptious!!! Yum!!!

JuicyFig said...

oooh, you are feeding my new wool adiction - evil!!! lol!

fabulous dahling - just fabulous!

Kath
x

Rose said...

Thanks for the pattern; I'll try it out soon! Thanks again. Sure you don't want any of my giveaway knitting magazines?

jamsandwich said...

Loved An Equal Music, read it for bookgroup a couple of years ago. Maybe time to revisit it - one of the advantages of a bad memory is that books can be reread and enjoyed over and over again!
Am just finishing the second had of my fetching, what a coincendence.

Kirti said...

Strawberry fields forever....I just bought it from your shop. I've been lurking with my cursor hovering over your etsy link for many months....I love the colours, can't wait to knit myself a pair of socks! Yay. Thanks! Love yer work!

daintee said...

delicious top yarn photo; like a yummy watermelon slice!

Suze said...

Try 'Two lives' by Vikram Seth as well, also wonderful. But I loved Equal Music the best and love the album too.

Jo Windmill said...

I really loved People pf the Book, but totally am with you with the Aussie accent on the private school girl character, it jarred and kinda was embarrassing, but the story - amazing!! So I forgave Ms Brooks for this one flaw, and I wonder if it was under the influece of US editors that she did it, or left it in??

Julia said...

I loved An Equal Music too, and wound up tracking down about half of the music on YouTube. I read it and People of the Book nearly back to back too - their main protagonists reminded me of each other, in tune with their art, a bit out of tune with other people.