9 August 2008

Finito!

Hedera

They're finished at last. the Hedera socks, from Knitty, blogged previously here.

Hedera

I love them. The lace is stretchy and, well, lacy, but warm and pretty at the same time.

Hedera

If I were to knit the pattern again (and I might do, in a solid coloured yarn next time) I'd make the heel flap a couple of rows shorter as it's a tad long for my foot, and I'd do a few pattern repeats on the leg to make them longer; two things that other people have commented on Ravelry, so I'm not alone in that thinking.

Hedera

These have been my Handbag Project for ages now. You know, the small portable knitting project that fits into your bag so you can knit it at odd moments of the day, in your lunch hour, at bookgroup, waiting at the school gate, etc. And although I have plenty (!) of other knitting on the needles right now, I'm feeling the urge to cast on for a new pair of socks just to fill that empty space in the corner of my handbag.

Vital Statistics
Pattern: Hedera, from Knitty
Needles: 2.25mm DPNS
Yarn: undyed 'Elizabeth' sock yarn from Live2Knit, hand dyed by me.

15 comments:

Badger said...

They are lovely! I aspire to one day be skilled enough to tackle socks. Even though none of us ever wear them down (up? over?) here.

And hey! I have a Handbag Project! I didn't know there was a name for that! It's the belt for the stupid effing wrap cardigan I've been making forever. Nine stitches across, eventually 36 inches long, all garter stitch. Brainless, even for me.

trashalou said...

Oooo! It's beginning to get a little spooky around here. Everywhere I look people are posting finished socks. I feel I may fall victim to their siren call before long!

RW said...

So, my question is... how thick are these socks and what kinds of shoes do you wear with them?

tut-tut said...

They are beautiful! do you know Lucy Neatby's sock patterns? You may want to look at some of her things . . .

Isabelle said...

They are lovely. I never have knitting in my handbag, I fear, but I wish I were the kind of good person who has.

twolimeleaves said...

Thoae are beautiful! I could never knit a sock (let alone two). You have my undying admiration!

She sure is strange! said...

I SO wish I could knit a sock or three! I actually squealed when I saw that first picture, they are GORGEOUS!!!

Molly(the really bad knitter)

peppermintpatcher said...

Interesting that you would choose a plain yarn next time. I really like the variagation in these ones. The little touch of yellow is fabulous.

M said...

The socks are lovely. I so get what you mean about having a handbag project. That's how I knit - at the school gate, waiting for after school activities to finish, and whereever I get five minutes. I take my knitting, and a book, in my handbag everywhere - can't be wasting a minute.

sooz said...

Fabo socks - the lace as you say is really good. And I think the dye job is shown off to it's greatest advantage. And tell - you got two whole long socks from 100gms, right?!

Stacey said...

They are so, so beautiful. I love the colour and the pattern - in fact, I just love everything about them. Gorgeous!

Di said...

Gorgeous socks, and I'm totally with you on needing a pair in the handbag for all those moments- Aren't you glad you've tried a different sock pattern? There are so many directions your sock knitting could head in now...

serenitymeadow said...

Very vivid pink and pretty. Almost like your hat. Good job.

K said...

I waaaant...

Not that I can knit lace, and anyway I'm still on my first sock ever which I suspect is going to be too small. Still, a girl can dream, can't she?

Lesley said...

Oooh well done! I tried the Hedera pattern a while ago, in a glorious soft pink for my mum, but I kept making mistakes and getting holes where they shouldn't be. I wasn't brave enough to frog them and start again, knowing I'd never be able to work out where I was in the pattern. But you've inspired me to start again, more slowly this time!