23 August 2008

Handle with Care.

This is my current knitting.

Tumbleweeds wip

It's a green vest. Interesting pattern, and it's made from my hand dyed yarn, but oh it's slow going (that wretched twisted stitch).

So.

This is my current handbag knitting.

dishcloths

They're washcloths. Or dishcloths. Whatever.

This is what it looks like around here in the morning these days.

late winter morning, 7.30am

That was Thursday morning I believe. The mist was moving so fast and the light changing so rapidly that every time I looked up from my porridge it was different again. More over at Flickr.

It's been an interesting week here.

Work has been, by turns, challenging, stressful, upsetting and bizarre. It involved frustration and tears over a repeat performance of that from a couple of weeks ago and culminated in a personal apology and the biggest exercise in spin I've seen in a long time (cynical much?) and my boss and I having to go out once more for coffee and more op shopping to strengthen our frayed nerves. This latest opshopping foray resulted in a bunch of wooden knitting needles for me, hooray! (I told you I have the best boss). I think I'd better stop talking about work now, right? (Have I given away too much on the blog over the years? Have you all worked out where I work? And so should I be deleting these wee episodes? I don't want to be dooced ... aw, no one real reads this, right?)

The boy's play went splendidly. He almost got away with skipping the kiss scene, but as he turned away the director/prompt made loud smooching noises and he had to turn back, reluctantly. Olivia, the kissee, grabbed his hat to shield them and they did the deed. He emerged a tad bashful.

Actually the loveliest bit was the scene just after when he meets his long lost 'near identical' girl twin, who has been masquerading as a boy. Now, my boy is as pale as a ghost, with blue eyes and blonde curls, while his 'twin sister' was played by an exquisitely beautiful young Japanese girl so it added a comical touch as they pretended to see themselves standing in each other's place (Do I stand before me? I never had a brother ...) Viola removed her hat, swung her [long, straight, black] hair free from her cap and the rest of the cast pretended to gasp at how alike they were! (One face, one voice, one habit and two persons, etc). My boy reached forward, gently and ever so tenderly peeled off his sister's moustache, and they embraced. Mine eyes got a bit moist.

Tomorrow he performs in a violin concert and the other three males of my household will play in various soccer matches.

And in breaking news, the cat caught on fire earlier this afternoon.

Which adds a whole new meaning to the phrase "Please put the cat out."

44 comments:

twolimeleaves said...

Get a load of that perfect knitting!! Jeez, you're good!!
Call me slow but I have no clue where you work.

peppermintpatcher said...

I have no clue where you work either, but Kirsty and I both live in North Queensland...

I hope the cat is well away from all naked flames now.

Stomper Girl said...

Oh your poor kitty. I hope s/he is all right now?

The play sounds gorgeous. Did you ask him if there was a *real* kiss behind the hat? Or are you too kind a mother for that?

shula said...

Oh, Suse, that last line got me good.

And I was sipping tea at the time.

Joke said...

OK. I'm begging. PLEASE shed more details on your flammable feline.

In suspense,

-J.

Courtney Paige said...

ha ha ha - too funny about the cat (as long as he isn't permanently singed). It's first thing Saturday here (Virginia), and your blog is just what I needed this morning - thanks :)

Sinda said...

Spring looks heavenly - I cna't wait for fall, myself.

Suse, I've been reading for a few years now, and I haven't the faintest where you work. But I have the same fears as you, so I keep my employment on the down low as well.

Must hear about kitty fire.

Janet said...

oh dear, I hope the cat is alright!

MrsFife said...

Please! You can't leave us suspended like that! How did the cat catch fire and how is (s)he doing now?

ellen said...

I'm sorry..I love cats, but I am laughing so hard at your dead pan announcement. I do hope that the cat recovers.

RW said...

I have no clue where you work.

Gina said...

Like everyone else, I read with interest and then got to the line about the cat and nearly choked with laughter! Sorry - I really hope your cat is okay! I played Viola once - remember the smoochy scene!

Badger said...

I like the green vest, but I'm actually MORE enamoured of the dishcloths. Go figure.

My girl had her play last night, too! She only had one line, but she delivered it EXPERTLY, yo.

And this imaginary North American not only has no idea where you work, but very little idea of what it is you actually DO there. I'm sure it's something brilliant, though.

And if I ever found wooden knitting needles at MY op shop, you'd hear my cackle of glee all the way down there.

Jen said...

I have no clue where you work, but please, don't keep us in suspenders over the flaming feline!

Lesley said...

My geese exploded once. Two of 'em. But my cat never caught fire.

MsCellania said...

Very sweet.
Except for the fire-y cat bit.
And the work angst.

String Bean said...

How can you put that at the end and not explain!? Cat on fire? Please elaborate.

Frogdancer said...

At least you could've told us what scorched cat smells like.

fiveandtwo said...

Cat on fire-"Put the cat out"-falls about laughing. I do like cats, however.
Work goings on sound ghastly.
Vest and washcloths are lovely.

herhimnbryn said...

When work gets like that, do you find yourself standing back and just watching the act of 'spin'? I used to, it made the odd awful moment fascinating!:)

The green knitting looks wonderful. Now, I wonder if your could knit me some socks in the same colour....................

nikkishell said...

I can't see your pictures (i've been having Flickr troubles too) but i did have a good chuckle at the cat on fire. Poor Kitty, i hope it's ok.

belinda said...

the cat caught on fire - how does that happen?!
is it wrong to think this funny? do hope the cat is okay.
awaiting the next installment for further details...
as for your place of work - large academic institution, haven't worked out which one....yet.

bluemountainsmary said...

I do believe I went through four seasons in one day emotionally with this post!

innercitygarden said...

I could take a stab at where you work, but I have friends doing similar stuff and I have no intention of getting you dooced.

K said...

This is just like when your dog rolled off a cliff and you didn't explain that either!

I am glad to see the gnomes back for a visit on the banner; I do like them.

Joke said...

Hey, YEAH. The dog did take an inadequately explained tumble off a cliff, didn't he?

Are your dog and cat engaged in a terrible interspecies Cold War-like feud for domestic supremacy at Chez Soup?

-J.

P.S. What's next? I predict something like "Somehow the dog was found strapped to a polygraph."

h+b said...

I know what singed kitty smells like ( daft cats ! ) - it stinks ! And they yowl as they run away.

Like the others: no idea where you work, and even if you said at dinner that night now long ago - i've forgotten.

The play was described so exquisitely, I thought I was there ! *sigh* ! Beautiful ! :)

kt said...

Oh, the play's the thing! It sounds brilliant. Well doneto the boy-o.

I have a boss like that. We can't escape the building, but we sit in her office and get snarky and laugh and laugh and laugh...

Tyger, tyger, burning bright....(hee-hee)

lynn said...

"Put the cat out". :-)

I laughed out loud, and I soooo needed to laugh out loud.

Thanks, Suse.

Lynn

Ali said...

There's nothing else for it - you're just going to have to knit a kitty fire blanket in case it happens again. You're going to have to tell us what happened too.

Carson said...

What I wouldn't give for your view :)

Lucy said...

How did that kitty catch fire?

I love the dishcloths too.

louise said...

Absolutely no idea where you work. Lovely view, and I can vouch for the Pea Soup flannels (having purchased one), they are as good as they look.

M said...

Poor kitty. I'll have to tell Blossom that one. She won't be able to decide whether to cack herself silly or cry.

Love that washcloth pattern. My favourite. Even if *others* (you know who you are) do comment that my shower recess looks like a 1930s flashback with them hanging around.

alice c said...

Well, I am hoping that you work in a Fire Station in the circumstances

alice c said...

Well, I am hoping that you work in a Fire Station in the circumstances

Stacey said...

Let me guess - cat laying too close to the open fire? Spitting ember?
My Mum used to have a persian cat and that would sometimes happen to him.
We used to take bets on how long it would take him to realise that burning smell was him.

Blossom said...

Hi there,
thanks for the info on gnomes. :)

jorth said...

I'm sorry about your boss. And your cat.

fifi said...

The scene with Viola and was completely captivating. Beautiful.

And I would never use such a lovely item as you have knitted there as a DISHCLOTH. Good Lord no.


*violin*
sigh

Ali la Loca said...

Please tell the full cat story! I have been laughing uncontrollably at this last line. :)

Isabelle said...

I would have been in floods of tears at the play.

Poor cat, though.

And that view!!!

meggie said...

I as intriqued by the burning cat, as everyone else is. Being a pet around your house is a health hazard?
Watching your child perform brings on a special feeling.
I wonder how mothers of actors feel?

cristy said...

Your knitting is beautiful. Oh how I wish I could knit.

My sister-in-law also knitted some dish cloths out of bamboo yarn and they are amazingly soft and lovely.

Thank you for your recent comment on my blog. I have never stumbled across your blog before and now I am quite fascinated. My poor ever-growing bloglines account...