27 September 2008

we did see some other stuff too

It was a good day at the Royal Melbourne Show overall, despite me waking up in the morning with a headache and thinking Oh goody, a day at the Show will do this headache the world of good.

We staggered off the train, exhausted from the effort of avoiding eye contact with the heavy-lidded young woman on her second vodka and lime UDL can (at ten in the morning) who was steadfastly ignoring her whining toddler to take phone calls from her partner about how what the charge was to be and how long the gaol sentence would be, while explaining to her friend how she was off to Queensland soon to see her four.other.children who had been taken away from her. My boys kept giving me covert shocked looks. (She and her friend laughed at my sock knitting, saying the knitting needles looked like chopsticks).

Thankfully things improved once we arrived at the Show, I popped a panadol and we headed for the dog judging.

Despite the older two being at that age where The Show is all about the rides and your friends and the rides and the showbags and the rides and the noise, I did insist on at least a wee bit of animal viewing.

12 day old baconers

The 12 day old piglets (seen here eating a car) won my heart. They are, rather sadly, known as baconers. Or is it porkers? I forget. We asked what a pig's natural lifespan is and the farmer just shrugged. Never found out, he replied laconically.

We ate our lunch while watching impossibly tiny girl-children on their impossibly tiny shiny ponies performing dressage tricks, followed by the amazing and totally fearless Ukrainian cossack rider Sergei Someoneov who was followed by the rather unimpressive Samson the Monstertruck. Samson drove over the top of some wrecked cars and, as we were sitting in the front row on a corner of the track, showered us and garnished our lunch (sausages in bread with tomato sauce followed by an apple thank you for asking), with dirt and grit five times before exiting the stadium.

Then came the utterly insane motorcross bikeriders, some or all of whom (I'm not sure, the MC was shrieking incoherently) are members of the Crusty Demons. All I can say is that I hope their mothers were not watching. Those boys are nuts.

flying tricks

I was thinking of sending that photo to my parents, saying Your three grandsons have a new hobby.

We also saw the mighty woodchoppers (Tasmania won), and a wonderful sheepdog demonstration. I dragged Son #3 off to the craft pavilion and made him look at the jams and breads and knitting and quilts and the gingerbread houses. Which reminds me, I never showed you Son #3's gingerbread house, made at school a few weeks ago and all I have to say is that maths lessons aren't what they were in my day. Behold.

Son #3's gingerbread house

The architects among you might notice that it even has flying buttresses.

Ok, back to the Show.

The boys were allowed one showbag each.

big glasses, small pizza

And one ride each. Son #2 wanted to go on one of those scary ones,

the noisy bit of the Show

so I went to the Victorian Apiarists' stand and absorbed some interesting facts about bees (and bought some honey) and we met up later and he was still in one piece.

new sock

Then we caught the train home and I knitted with my chopsticks and sent a text to Mr Soup saying O GOD POR DA YN WE R ON R WAY HM.

after the Show

33 comments:

Victoria said...

Am impressed by the gingerbread house. Enjoyed the show report - somthing to envy about near-the-city life.
Pigs so cute!!
Crusty Demons insane. Please do tell your parents it's the grandkids' new hobbie and please report back on their response!

The Awakened Heart said...

I wanted to take my 2 year old to the show but my husband thinks she is too young. It does look a bit overwhelming and there are more of those 'drunk at 10am ignoring the children' types of women on the trains than you think. Makes one shudder to think about the poor wee wuns future. Fantastic gingerbread house by the way. Did you find the recipe for tablet on the web? I found a couple of good ones. Not sure if the waistline can stand any more sugar though!

norma said...

what a hoot , your descriptions are really great as always . gingerbread house looks fab, I never realised they were around and about other than xmas time and cool having them in school time , well done your son . i usually make the first part of the houses now in the cool ( i live in Qld ) then hope for a coolish day nearer time to put together and decorate etc .

M said...

Am cacking myself mercilessly.

After all, it wouldn't be a *proper* trip to the show without seeing questionable parenting skills.

Speaking of questionable parenting, I highly recommend forwarding the Crusty Demons photo to the grandies.

kgirl said...

oh dear, did you have to go on my train line? Although I consider myself fairly liberal thinking, I am constantly astounded by some of the parenting encountered on our train line (F'ston, in case you're wondering)

the day at the show sounds like great fun all round though, and surely deserved of that lovely glass of tempranillo at the end :)

Suse said...

Hurstbridge Line. Which is usually pretty sedate. Must've been a ring-in from the Frankston Line ;)

(I used to take that line when I lived with my parents - it's a scary one! - we lived in Beaumaris so we were halfway between two lines and I used to try and take the Sandringham Line whenever I could, rather than the F'ton one).

I have no idea which recipe they used for the gingerbread, sorry. The children did it at school with the teacher. We just ate the results!

Bird Bath said...

hilarious! I so enjoyed your recount.We recently enjoyed the show in Adelaide. Great for people and animal watching.

shula said...

You went Mr Soupless?

Dear God.

blackbird said...

I've always loved the woodchoppers best.

Di said...

I'm a woodchopping fan myself.
Not so much a fan of encountering other types of people on the train though. Could have done without hearing about that little episode.

meggie said...

I simpy adore little piglets. When they are first born, all pink & tiny, they really do resemble rosebuds.
I would never ever take children to a Show, alone! You are to be commended. Hope the wine made it all better.

Janet said...

mmm, you should try an afternoon trip on my tram line.... after all the sugar and vodka. and the number of showbags some kids get!

we were tossing up about the show this year and you made it sound very attractive, but I think next year maybe... to take advantage of the years when it can be about the animals and maybe a merry-go-round

it did look like fun

Janet said...

der, I'msure you know all about my tram line... and the racing crowds too, most amusing/horrifying...

Michelle said...

your lucky you took the panadol after the train trip as if you took it before the trip you would have had to double dose yourself before the day began...i always find these sorts quiet fasinating as long as you don't get too close...as i really do think they bite...
ohhhhhh and send the pic to the relatives so funny couldn't stop laughing at that one...

docwitch said...

Spectacular gingerbread house! How'd he get it to stick together so well? I made one years ago and it collapsed on the resident jelly baby family. My young cousin was distraught and unforgiving. Trauma. Glue guns in future.

Of trains: I have to take the Frangers line to work. Now that's an education.

trashalou said...

You say that the wine text was on the way home from the show but really that was a shot of breakfast right? Keeping up with your train buddies and all.....

Lesley said...

Four legs good, two legs bad.
After a day out among the mullets, it's a wonder you could look at that bottle of wine!

Frogdancer said...

I've taken my 4 to the show. Twice. When they were a few years younger.
Now I figure that they're getting to the age that if they want to go... they can go with friends. Last year Jack did that.

rhonda jean said...

Don't you just love the shows! I went to the Maleny show last year and had the best time.

Shame about the pig farmer not knowing a basic fact about pigs. pfffft.

I love your knitting, chopsticks and all.

Isabelle said...

I've just read your 100 things about you and like you even more than I did before. (That sounds a bit creepy. Sorry.)

herhimnbryn said...

Royal Show with three children, a headache, gritty sausages sandwiches and train travel........I think you are a true saint and I hope you drank lots of the 'fish' wine when you got home!

kt said...

Is that yarn more of your handiwork in the dye arena? It's knitting up astoundingly.

Guffawed at the biker photo to g'parents idea. DO IT!

Thanks for the further show details. Most enjoyable reading.

Stomper Girl said...

Victoria won the woodchopping bit we witnessed and phwoar, err..ahem, what a lovely young man he was! Excellent muscles in the Chesty Bonds there. Also, some of those motorbikey boys did the C'wealth Games Opening Ceremony (as did I, dancing not insane airborne stunts though) and they were so lovely, hanging around backstage with their glammed up bikes, their silvery leathers and their backpacks full of fireworks. I was a little bit smitten despite being too old for them.

bluemountainsmary said...

Somehow - and I know this was not your intention - I am even more entrenched in my view that I am much better off going to the rural shows rather than the City shows!

iona said...

We had fun this year, tho only the second time we've taken the kids (6 & 9). Pissed myself at your report -the show can be a bewildering mix of country, urban, and yoof culture that can send your head spinning. Our two were amazed that some kids had rather more than 1 or 2 showbags (ours could get 1 or 2 with a budget of $10).

I used to take a train out to Footscray to work. Now there's an education in parenting styles. And so many interesting bon mots about charge sheets and court dates.

Badger said...

Monster trucks? OMG, Australia really IS just like Texas! Only with reversed seasons, and kangaroos instead of armadillos! I've always suspected.

POR DA YN, indeed.

Liz said...

Those piglets are adorable, and your son has gorgeous hair.

angelique said...

Haven't been around your blog lately.Who knows why but I have forgotten what a hoot it is. Love the train business. One thing I don't miss about Melbourne:)

h+b said...

I didn't know pigs ate Toyotas ?

Thimbleanna said...

You're so funny Suse, you always make me laugh. Sending the motocross pic to the grandparents made me laugh out loud!

Cate said...

I have just learned all about showbags from Wikipedia, because I had never heard of them before. No such thing here in the US. We don't even have fairbags. No event bags at all :(

Fairlie said...

Oh man. I'd need to POR DA BIG YN after a day at the Show. I've been twice...and both times encountered behaviour of the MOST questionable sort. For instance, did you know that when waiting in the queue for fast food, and finding yourself needing a pee, the acceptable show behaviour is to whip out the garden hose there and then and give all other queuers shoes a little water? URGGHHHHHHHH.

Show? No go.

Bearette24 said...

Hi Suse, visiting from Babelbabe - that scarf looks gorgeous - any chance you might like to put the pattern up or email it to me? thanks (if you have time!) - Bearette24,
bearette24@hotmail.com