21 September 2008

will o' the wisp

haruha scarf

My first experience knitting with cobweb weight yarn is, well, quite an experience thus far. Lace knitting. Who knew?

haruha scarf

A chance visit to the op shop recently resulted in the purchase of several cones of varying weight and colour vintage yarns from the Wangaratta Woollen Mills. Oh it was timely, and I was excited by the possibilities. Knitting, dyeing, skeining, winding, planning.

haruha scarf

And while I have lately been daydreaming of knitting a wispy, ethereal shawl, I thought I'd begin with baby lace steps ... a scarf.

haruha scarf

The Haruha Scarf, to be exact.

haruha scarf

I've mastered the art of knitting from a chart (the idea of which had previously put me right off many a pattern) and the lace is slowly emerging from the needles as if by magic. It's a different beast to my usual knitting though - no satisfying click of the needles, no firm woolly fabric growing onto my lap and settling with a sense of importance and finality. Just a feeling of insubstantial fiddling with barely there materials, and a wafty web floating around my wrists.

haruha scarf

I noticed that another haruha knitter (Ravelry link) had worked out she could knit one lace repeat in half an hour, and thus could manage two repeats in her lunch hour. Timing myself tonight I discovered I can do a repeat in 25 minutes (smug? oh yes) but shied away from calculating just how many hours will actually go into the making of this little neck cloud. Oh no, that would be too scary. Better to just try and achieve one lacy cobwebby repeat each day, in amongst the other tasks and detritus of daily life, and enjoy the journey.

Just what I need. A reminder to enjoy the journey.

Thank you all for your kind words on my last post. The generosity of the blogworld never fails to amaze me and lift me up. I tried to reply to everyone, but if you don't register an email address with Blogger it's hard to respond. Please know every comment was heard and appreciated very much. We are missing our sweet old girl, but this morning I found this - the last photo taken of her a day or so before she died, and it made me smile. The dog will get to lick both the container and the lid from now on.

Greek yoghurt, helicopter view

29 comments:

tut-tut said...

Beautiful lace! I don't think there is any learning curve for you; you get it right the first time!!

Poor missed pets; their spirits are around us all the time . . .

String Bean said...

I missed your last post, but I'm sorry to hear that your kitty passed away.

Your scarf looks beautiful. I was eying that one myself, but I think I have too many lace projects going.

twolimeleaves said...

Ooooh! Pretty!!
and mysterious.
(for a garter-stitcher like moi)

Eleanor said...

You are also a wordknitter. After reading this post I could actually feel that scarf on my fingers.

Stomper Girl said...

It is a thing of beauty.

herhimnbryn said...

'Neck cloud', I like.
Our dog loves the yoghurt container too.

ellen said...

Wafty web is lovely..I would have to put myself in solitary confinement to do that.
What a very special and meaningful picture to have of your sweet kitty. She was so loved and I know that she knew that.

Shammickite said...

Very lacy! I wish I was as clever as you!
And as ambitious.

shula said...

Beautiful work, Suse.

You're getting quite hardcore, aren't you?

Blossom said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I also love lacework.........but I am not game enough yet to work off a chart........

Great pic of your kitty and dog.

gentle hugs

alice c said...

Be careful - lace knitting is very addictive.

Michelle said...

oh it beautiful...
i use to crochet a lot, i don't tend to now but i would make things from twilly's twenty which was very fine and seamed to take forever...keep at it, it will be well worth it...

docwitch said...

Gorgeous work as usual...
...and I have just given you a little award. Blush.
: )

Jen said...

Aw, what a sweet photo. We have a similar of one of my old dachshund and LB's old Lab, both now deceased, licking the same plate clean.

Beautiful lace knitting!

RW said...

This was an inspiring post - I am a seasonal knitter and the season has just changed so I went searching for my last abandonned project.

Badger said...

OMG, LACE knitting now. I'm still afraid to try SOCKS. Or hats, even. I'm kind of a knitting wimp. But your scarf, it is LOVELY.

meggie said...

Beautiful gossamer scarf.

katiecrackernuts said...

The lace knitting looks so gorgeous. The mills? Are they still there? I lived at Wangaratta for a brief 6 months. I followed my heart and had it broken and had to wait out the 6 months until I found a job where I could head back to people I was missing and lick my wounds ( and hear many a "told you so" ). I am sorry to hear about your moggy. I'm playing a bit of catch up. I hope it was a gentle passing.

Stacey said...

"Neck cloud" - perfect!
I love light weight knitting like that, but only when someone else does it.
Your scarf is looking beautiful.

fifi said...

I am constantly amazed at these artworks you produce. Extraordinary.
You have no idea at the number of people who comment upon and touch my scarf, including total strangers. They just marvel, truly. I have to explain that you dyed the wool yourself, and then knitted it, and all are dead impressed.

that lacy thing is like a magic thing. I must tell
Miss Boat to look, she likes such things.


Dear old cat, I can just hear the scrape scrape scrape of the lid as she licks it along.

Jean said...

The scarf is going to be lovely, what a pleasure it will be to wear. I couldn't comment on the loss of your cat before - it was too emotional for me. The loss of a beloved pet is difficult and touches me deeply. I still feel the loss of my beloved Maggie and that was 8 years ago. I love my three Standard Poodles and my three Cats(even though I am allergic to the cats and they must remain outdoors, they were feral and now quite tame) They give you such uncondtional love.

rhonda jean said...

I'm sorry that Meggie died. She looked like a lovely old girl. I've just lost my old Airedale Rosie. It hurts.

Your yarn and scarf are beautiful. I've been thinking about buying some Bendigo yarn, I think your photos were my tipping point.

Fairlie said...

I can almost feel the lacy floatiness of your knitting. It's looking lovely.

bluemountainsmary said...

That scarf is so delicate - beautiful.

Elizabeth said...

OOh, lace. thanks for the link to that pattern (as if I needed another link to another pattern)
When I download the photos from the camera they auto-delete but for some reason the first photo never erases and that one is of our sweet lost Min:(

String Bean said...

You've been given an award! Pop by my blog to pick it up. :)

M said...

Well I think you're doing well to finish that repeat so fast. I still can't get over the repeats taking soooo long. It's looking fabulous BTW.

Wangaratta woollen mills? Hmm so many mills, so little time...

amy said...

I think it looks beautiful. I just followed my first pattern. I learned how to make mittens! I love them. I started my second set today. I posted a pic of them on my blog. I want to make red ones for my nieces for Christmas.

eurolush said...

What a beautiful, ethereal beginning to a scarf. It does look like a collection of finely woven, delicate spider webs...and I mean that in a good way. (Can telling someone their scarf looks like whispy, morning-dew covered spider webs possibly be good? Let's just pretend it is, shall we?)

I imagine it will look positively divine when worn. Then you will be smug for yet another reason...how adorable you look with that scarf around your neck.

PS-I'm glad you have that photo of Meggie Moo and her lid-top-licking enjoyment.