15 October 2008

odd, sods, etc

read my palm

There's been another rainbow in the house this week. On the floor this time, rather than hiding in the crockery drawer.

House Swallow

A little House Swallow has built a mud nest under the eaves outside the laundry door. A mudbrick nest on a mudbrick house. How appropriate.

The birdlife is amazing around here. As I sit at the kitchen bench typing this, swallows, currawongs and bellbirds are swooping about in front of the windows making an unholy racket, and a large flock of bright primary coloured Eastern Rosellas (not the usual Crimson Rosellas we get all the time, nor the Swift Parrots) has swung in, trying to claim territory. Two kookaburras are laughing their heads off, safe in the knowledge that they are superior beings who just belong. No fighting necessary.

morning light

More golden sunrises.

Mum's lemon cake recipe

Because you asked for it - the lemon cake recipe, as given to me by Mum years ago (the tick means I've made it and approved, so safe to bake again). Note complete lack of instructions as to how to actually put the thing together. Thanks Mum.
Edit: lemon juice is the final ingredient in the icing. As someone pointed out, it looks as though there's more writing. There is, but it's a note to me from Mum, so I cropped the photo there.

verdant

Enjoying the green while it lasts. Soon it'll brown off with the coming hot weather.

Spring morn

Another early morning shot, taken from the kitchen window, just because.

cistus

Cistus (are doin' it for themselves.) I luv Annie Lennox.

I'm off to Craft Retreat this weekend with the usual crowd of crafty bloggers and talented women so I need to go and organise my patterns and supplies and plan a fabuloso Saturday night dessert.

Later, alligator[s].

27 comments:

katiecrackernuts said...

I love recipes handed over like that. That should be your dessert. Sounds yummo.

Zephyr said...

'til then, penguin.

rhubarbwhine said...

I am going to try your mums lemon cake - I adore lemon or citrus anything - so will give it a whirl. LOVE your rainbow shot. Absolutley love it.

Stomper Girl said...

That wee little bird is so cute. I've read your palm and predict that you will have a fabbo craft retreat.

Frogdancer said...

Have fun! Say hi to everyone. I'll be with you in spirit.... I'll be child free (probably) and I have patchwork and much knitting planned.

Woo Hoo!

Michelle said...

have a great retreat...hope there are lots of yummmy desserts...

alice c said...

in a while, crocodile...

shula said...

If you leave the nest alone, they'll return to it year after year.

And I remember that you could always hear the bellbirds on Mum's answering machine message. Louder than she was.

meggie said...

I think I feel a little jealous of this whole post!

What a busy hand you have! I am sure some palmist would have a field day. I used to read palms, but gave it up when I discovered things about people, that I really didn't want to know.
No, I didn't read yours.

Have a wonderful weekend.xx

Eleanor said...

Hello Suse! I linked to your hand/light/ring photograph this evening. I hope you don't mind....

peppermintpatcher said...

I feel all blissed out after reading this. You have a great life!

sueeeus said...

...so... Is lemon juice the last item on the recipe, because it looks like there is more writing.

Anything with that much sugar and butter has GOT to be good, and I just happen to have grated lemon rind and juice hanging out in the freezer.

Sinda said...

It's so nice to see your green - we're at the end of a long, hot, dry summer here, and I haven't seen green like that in months. It finally rained yesterday, for the first time since I don't know when, so I'm hoping we green up a little before "winter." Thanks for sharing!

docwitch said...

So much eye candy. Once again, your photies are droolsome.
That swallow is the sweetest little thing. Pretty sophisticated earth-building techniques too.

Have a wonderful crafty retreat. I am dead jealous actually.

Badger said...

It certainly looks like spring over in your neck of the, er, planet. Just lovely.

And your palm = FASCINATING. You must have it read by someone local who knows what they're doing.

tut-tut said...

Hey, is that a new banner, or am I just not very observant?

eurolush said...

Oh, my. Tiny birds in nests, old family recipes handed down, a view of an enchanted forest from your own kitchen window, giant, pink, ruffled flowers wrapped around tiny sunbursts...and a rainbow caught in the palm of your hand.

If that's not magical, I'm not sure what is.

Jen said...

Gorgeous photos! And I now have the kookaburra song stuck in my head, thankyouverymuch.

jorth said...

Oooh, have fun!

Saha said...

That swallow must be in heaven! So appropriate, what a lovely picture!

Kylie said...

Have fun on the weekend - love the rainbow photo well done

herhimnbryn said...

Rainbows, sunshine, cake and a happy dog. Are you living in paradise?

Anne said...

little Loopity Lou loves to catch rainbows too ;).

Jean said...

I adore birds, I can't believe the exotic variety you have and the photo from your window is something to be a little envied I believe. It is nice to see that you appreciate your surroundings.

MsCellania said...

Ah, enjoying the peep at your world. Have fun with the crafty sistahs. By now your dessert has been inhaled. I may try that lemon cake soon.
OH OH OH - we are getting a pup! An Aussie (which is, of course, an American breed). Check out his little self on de blawg.

SewHum said...

Love the rainbow!

I have one too

http://sewhum.blogspot.com/2008/09/melbourneis-it-better-in-spring-or.html

judi said...

Am I right in thinking the sugar and butter are creamed first, then eggs,lemon rind, milk and flour folded in?
sweet wee bird..and how beautiful is the call of the bellbird? not too many in downtown St Kilda..
although lately we have had flocks of parakeets and a hilarious sulphur crested cockatoo which I think is an escapee given his vocabulary...